Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compilations that should happen and haven't

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Compilations that should happen and haven't

There have been a pretty decent amount of arcade compilations over the years, but even those are largely being left behind for downloadable minis of individual games. Still many great franchises have gone by without any rerelease or fanfare, many of which I think people in one region or another would eat up. What company/series of games would you like to see collected on a modern system? I have a few...

The Dragon Slayer series from Falcom. It encompasses so many games... Dragon Slayer in all of its versions, Dragon Slayer Gaiden, Xanadu in its versions, Xanadu Next, Faxanadu, Romancia, Legacy of the Wizard, Sorcerian, Lord Monarch and its spinoffs, Legend of Xanadu I & II... so many games, most of which are excellent, and all under that one franchise umbrella.

Kunio/Downtown Nekketsu-I know they partially did this on the GBA, but there are a ton of omissions there. A big compilation starting with Renegade, then add in River City Ransom, Jidaigeki, Riki Kunio, the Koushinkyouku games, Dodgeball games, Soccer games, Ice Hockey-bu, Dunk Heroes, Shodai, Tachi no Banka, Baseball Monogatari, etc., with all of the versions. I'd buy it immediately.

Double Dragon, with all of its sequels and versions, the fighters, everything.

Bomberman. An ultimate party box with all of the versions and stages with online play thrown in for the hell of it.

Like any of those? What are some others that would make for a neat package?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I kind of always wished Nintendo would get some stones and do what retrozone did with their warez operation -- the VS Nintendo arcade games. Even those with NES names are NOT the NES games. Loved to have had this as some emulated package on a handheld which would have kept their costs down -- DS, 3DS, even GBA when they did the NES Classics thing like a decade ago (which is when I first thought of it.)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

They'd never make it to the same compilation since they were made by different companies, but I'd pay lots of munies for a compilation of the rotary dial arcade games.

I believe these were all SNK

Ikari Warriors
    Ikari Warriors III
    (I hate this game, but it is in the series)
    Victory Road
    Guerrilla War

And think these were DATA EAST

Gondomania
    Midnight Resistance

Are there any Wonderboy compilations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Tanooki-YES.

Emperor Megas-All four of those SNK games were released on SNK Arcade Classics for PSP, but the controls are rubbish, as they use the shoulder buttons to clumsily cycle through the 12 positions of the arcade rotary joystick, so it'd be preferable to have some sort of re-release using twin stick control or something as an alternative. I do love the SNK rotary stick games, though!

Wonder Boy did get a fantastic compilation on japanese PS2. It collected all of the games up through Monster World IV, including all versions (both console and region/language) other than the turbografx versions. It's part of the Sega Ages 2500 series, and it's truly excellent. Great series!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-31-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Double Dragon, with all of its sequels and versions, the fighters, everything.
    That would be a good one. I'd also like to see Contra and Castlevania compilations. They could even split them up between console and portable versions.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    That would be a good one. I'd also like to see Contra and Castlevania compilations. They could even split them up between console and portable versions.
    There is, for the PC, and for just the NES games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAR40HmsOh8

Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania & Contra (PC)

NES emulator, people figured out when it came out it's not very good, tuned just for those games, so only some other games can be patched into it to play right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My wishlists...

-Golden Age Arcade Rarities Collection (Seek out and collect as many well liked classics like Berzerk, Pepper II and other great classics that have sadly not been rereleased in the modern era and are from publishers without the clout or quantity of significant classics to justify a dedicated collection).

-The Sega Outrun Collection (At minimum, all SMS/GG/Genesis games, all three classic arcade releases, and a definitive Outrun 2 experience with all OR2 related content across all versions assembled together and with full wheel support; Bonus points if there's a new slate of 15 original circuits for the Outrun 2 line).

-Intellivision Lives U (Dual gamepad support, ECS & Intellivoice emulation, all clearable 1st party content, full keypad/button customization, relicense the 1st party Data East ports to be able to rerelease several of the best Mattel releases like Burgertime, and license Activision's Intellivision catalog).

-Midway Arcade: Ultimate Edition (All clearable 1970's through 1990 or so arcade content from the Bally/Midway/Williams/Atari Games catalogs that Warner Brothers has possession of today).

-The Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection (All free and clear 1st party Genesis/32X/CD content along with the bonus of SMS/GG/SG-1000 content).

-The Activision Collection (All available 1980's Activision content across classic pre crash consoles and computers).

-SNK Arcade Classics Volume 0 (Bring this Japanese PSP exclusive compilation West to consoles with dual stick support for the LS30 stick games like Ikari Warriors, add the PSP Minis exclusives like Vanguard, and fill in the few holes like Safari Rally for SNK's pre Neo Geo arcade lineup that didn't make it out on the PSP).

-Nintendo Arcade Classics (Collect Nintendo's 1980's arcade heritage at long last).

-Atari Anthology XL (Expand the roster of 2600 titles and arcade titles and toss in Atari 8 bit and 7800 games like Food Fight. And thanks to the French guy leading them today, relicense Battlezone now that it has shamefully been sold off).

-Vectrex Regeneration (Bring this to consoles and on a physical disc and fill the remaining holes of original content and get a few more homebrews on to it).

-Sega Arcade Anthology (Collect as much of the classic Sega arcade experience from the 1980's as possible).

-Sega's 3D Classics (Collect the arcade titles in a retail bundle and port them to consoles).

-90's Sega Racing Anthology (HD remastered ports of Daytona USA, Sega Super GT, Sega Rally, Virtua Racing, Sega Rally 2, and Daytona USA 2 with full wheel support).

-Sonic Mega Collection: HD Edition (Console ports of the 16:9 HD mobile ports of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD along with an equivalent job for Sonic 3 & Knuckles).

-TurboGrafx-16 Collection (Much of this console's legacy falls under the umbrella of a single publisher these days, allowing for a wide swath of its library to be included without any outside licensing expense).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-30-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Leo, would the Golden Age collection come with a paddle controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Leo, would the Golden Age collection come with a paddle controller?
    Sadly, that might be a bit too out there to be realistic.

But assuming that there would be a need for it, USB mouse support on the PS4 doesn't sound too unrealistic and would be a fine compromise between playability and cost. And Microsoft seems open as they further blur the lines between PC and console at bringing keyboard/mouse support to the XB1.

But since we're dreaming, why not?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-30-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    There is, for the PC, and for just the NES games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAR40HmsOh8

Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania & Contra (PC)

NES emulator, people figured out when it came out it's not very good, tuned just for those games, so only some other games can be patched into it to play right.
    A) I don't game on PC so that wouldn't work for me and B) I want more than just the Nes versions of those series. I want a portable compilation for all GB/GBA/DS Castlevania's as well as one that includes the Nes, Snes, Genesis, PC Engine, PS1 and PS2/Xbox versions. As for Contra, I'd like a similar portable version and one that includes all console versions from the Nes up to the Xbox 360 download only game. That's not asking too much....well it is but still. A TMNT collection would also be nice but there were so many different companies that made TMNT games over the years that it's pretty much a pipe dream at this point.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While not quite in that group I listed above, Capcom and Konami NES compilations are both long overdue. They both have such a large collection of classics for that platform that even when you remove licensed games like DuckTales, you'd still have a heck of a pair of compilations.

Even better, cover both the NES and the SuperNes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Sadly, that might be a bit too out there to be realistic.

But assuming that there would be a need for it, USB mouse support on the PS4 doesn't sound too unrealistic and would be a fine compromise between playability and cost. And Microsoft seems open as they further blur the lines between PC and console at bringing keyboard/mouse support to the XB1.

But since we're dreaming, why not?
    Perchance to dream.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of the Parodius games plus the Gradius and Salamander games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega racing collection. Outrunners, Daytona, Daytona 2, and Super GT, with online play. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

With a few people talking LS30 rotary stick games, how about a nice plug & play with those games on a great arcade stick? Time Soldiers, Guerilla War, Ikari I-III, Heavy Barrel, Midnight Resistance...

I'd like a real Mario compilation with the original versions of games like Super Mario 2, All Night Nippon Super Mario, Hotel Mario, the Japanese Hudson-made PC games, etc. instead of a bullshit Super Mario All-Stars re-release.

Hebereke/Uforia collection, with all versions of the puzzle games and O-Chan spinoffs.

Metroid-this should be obvious.

Cotton-every version of the horizontal shooters, and all the oddballs like Panorama and Rainbow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    All of the Parodius games plus the Gradius and Salamander games.
    Those have been compilations for the psp.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Indeed. Konami released four shooter compilations for the PSP: Twinbee, Parodius, Salamander and Gradius. But only the last one made it outside Japan.
    I hear the Salamander collection is particularly desired since it includes one (unrelated?) arcade game as an extra that was otherwise never ported.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Indeed. Konami released four shooter compilations for the PSP: Twinbee, Parodius, Salamander and Gradius. But only the last one made it outside Japan.
    I hear the Salamander collection is particularly desired since it includes one (unrelated?) arcade game as an extra that was otherwise never ported.
    And that game is Xexex, nver ported to anything else. I have all 4 compilations Konami put out for the PSP, Xexex is by far the greatest extra in any of them, though oddly no MSX Salamander on the Salamander Portable pack. The Parodius one included MSX Parodius, and the Salamander one includes Gradius II MSX with smooth scrolling, the Twinbee one has a remake of Twinbee Da from GB.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm of the opinion that any series that hasn't been arranged into a compilation for at least one gaming generation falls under "should happen".
    But then again, as many of you know, I likes me some cheap compilations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

An update of the sonic collection including the Dreamcast games, the 8-bit games and some of the spin-offs like sonic the fighters would be an instant purchase to me.

I'd also love to see a collection of the first 3 wipeout games in HD with online multiplayer. With the two rollcage games given the same treatment for good measure. :-)