Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone play classic systems with an EDTV (extended definition)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone play classic systems with an EDTV (extended definition)

These are early consumer LCD (and sometimes CRT) screens that are capable of up to 480p, and a lot of them have comb filters in them. I've been looking for something to replace my failing Sony CRT TV, which lacks S-video for some reason. I saw a $50, 20 inch Sylvania at a pawn shop resembling the one pictured.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm wondering whether they have the same problems HDTVs do with classic systems, like lag and shoddy deinterlacing.
    Last edited by BetaWolf; 10-29-2015 at 10:26 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I have one that does 480p through early component. It works like and sdtv with crisp picture and no lag. Good stuff. Mine is a JVC.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

From my experience crt edtv's were better. The response time and back lighting on those early lcd's were pretty crap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yes, I should clarify mine is a crt.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never used one, but I should point out that light guns won't work and you will not have scanlines.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Light guns do in fact work on my crt.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Light guns do in fact work on my crt.
    Fascinating. I assume you mean guns other than Guncon 2. If so it would be greatly appreciated if you could give me the model number of the TV and the light guns that you have personally tested and are 100% positive work so that I might add it to my list. http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...n-Support-List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Sure. I'll try to find some time this week to try out more. Pretty sure it was the Sega Saturn Stunners I tested, but I'll verify and try some Dreamcast, NES, PS1, and SMS when I can.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up that EDTV today, which was an Emerson (I was mistaken), and I'm mixed on it. It does have scanlines. Things look jittery in 480i like they do on a CRT TV. I did not perceive any input lag whatsoever. However, the default picture settings are awful. Colors are oversaturated, and white has an overpowering bloom effect, bleeding into whatever is next to it. I did manage to adjust the Color setting so that it colors look like they do on a CRT. I'll see if I can do anything about the white bleeding tomorrow - if I can fix that, then I will be very satisfied with this as it is very good otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure. I'll try to find some time this week to try out more. Pretty sure it was the Sega Saturn Stunners I tested, but I'll verify and try some Dreamcast, NES, PS1, and SMS when I can.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    I picked up that EDTV today, which was an Emerson (I was mistaken), and I'm mixed on it. It does have scanlines. Things look jittery in 480i like they do on a CRT TV. I did not perceive any input lag whatsoever. However, the default picture settings are awful. Colors are oversaturated, and white has an overpowering bloom effect, bleeding into whatever is next to it. I did manage to adjust the Color setting so that it colors look like they do on a CRT. I'll see if I can do anything about the white bleeding tomorrow - if I can fix that, then I will be very satisfied with this as it is very good otherwise.
    Blooming can be reduced by turning down contrast (sometimes called white level). It might also be worth adjusting the focus pot(s) on the flyback; just be careful as there are lethal voltages present, sometimes in places you might not expect.

Also, I don't mean to be that weird guy that asks everyone the model number of their TV, but it would be great if you could produce it. Oh, and light guns too, if you have them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Thank you.
    Blooming can be reduced by turning down contrast (sometimes called white level). It might also be worth adjusting the focus pot(s) on the flyback; just be careful as there are lethal voltages present, sometimes in places you might not expect.

Also, I don't mean to be that weird guy that asks everyone the model number of their TV, but it would be great if you could produce it. Oh, and light guns too, if you have them.
    No problem. Model is Emerson EWL20S5 C. Any point in trying light guns on an LCD? I own them for NES, SNES, and Saturn only.
    I'll adjust the contrast when I can. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    No problem. Model is Emerson EWL20S5 C. Any point in trying light guns on an LCD? I own them for NES, SNES, and Saturn only.
    I'll adjust the contrast when I can. Thanks.
    No point in testing light guns on an LCD. I actually thought you had a CRT since said you had blooming which has a specific definition that applies only to CRTs. Perhaps you are talking about clipping (e.g. white values 230 - 255 appear the same) which is also correctable by lowering contrast? If you can get some test patterns up on your display it will help you a lot in making adjustments.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

How are your consoles connected to this CRT? Through the component connections?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No point in testing light guns on an LCD. I actually thought you had a CRT since said you had blooming which has a specific definition that applies only to CRTs. Perhaps you are talking about clipping (e.g. white values 230 - 255 appear the same) which is also correctable by lowering contrast? If you can get some test patterns up on your display it will help you a lot in making adjustments.
    I have done that with computer monitors. I'll have to connect my Wii U via component and then find a test pattern online. With meh displays like this though, you can never get the best of both worlds. Either sacrifice some black levels and not be able to see in the dark, or have good black levels and not be able to distinguish between brights (values 230-255). Since I'm playing retro games with bright colors and lots of primaries, I'll settle for the former.

The display is plenty passable, though. Nothing wrong with the audio, and there aren't any dead pixels. Just tried 480p with the Game Boy Player and it ran fine but needs some color adjusting. It just seems like they cut corners and didn't calibrate it properly at the factory. A little fun fact - I found out that Emerson and Sylvania are sister companies under Funai, kind of like Philips and Magnavox (which were also distributed by Funai for some time).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one that does 480p through early component. It works like and sdtv with crisp picture and no lag. Good stuff. Mine is a JVC.
    I have yet to see a CRT that is Extended Definition of 480p only. I own both WEGA SD CRT TV (480i) and WEGA HD CRT TV (480i-1080i) . The PS2 Guncon 2 does work in 480p mode for ED CRT TVs, but near as I can figure, the only ED CRT TVs if out there were only produced in Japan?

The HD CRT is the best picture quality compromise since it displays ALL the resolutions directly without need of upscaling.
    Most CRTs though having a Component input will only display in 480i, unless it is an HD Tube which can go from 480i-720i-720p-10801. Anyone claiming to own an ED CRT TV can simply confirm by setting your DVD player to Progressive Scan. If it works you very likely own an HD Tube capable of going all the way up to 1080i. Please post the make and model number, really curious if really an ED Tube.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never seen a CRT EDTV before either. Didn't know LCD EDTVs existed until I went to visit a friend at college and he had one in his dorm room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The TV I'm using is a JVC I'Art AV-27FA44. It has S-Video, composite, and component inputs. I'm not 100% sure what the resolution is on the thing; we inherited it when my wife's grandma passed away years ago, and the manual just goes on and on about its combing filters for color separation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151031_231724.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	8352

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    The HD CRT is the best picture quality compromise since it displays ALL the resolutions directly without need of upscaling.
    Most CRTs though having a Component input will only display in 480i, unless it is an HD Tube which can go from 480i-720i-720p-10801.
    Unles you are talking about broadcast monitors, that is not correct. All consumer grade TVs are fixed scan and none of them (with the possible exception of that weird 1500i TV from JVC) will display 720p natively.

The TV I'm using is a JVC I'Art AV-27FA44. It has S-Video, composite, and component inputs. I'm not 100% sure what the resolution is on the thing; we inherited it when my wife's grandma passed away years ago, and the manual just goes on and on about its combing filters for color separation.
    I'm pretty sure that is SD. If it was ED, it would have an EDTV badge on it and they would be prominently advertising it as a feature. If you try to display an Xbox or a Wii in 480p mode, I would be willing to bet that you will get a rolling picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most CRTs though having a Component input will only display in 480i, unless it is an HD Tube which can go from 480i-720i-720p-10801. Anyone claiming to own an ED CRT TV can simply confirm by setting your DVD player to Progressive Scan. If it works you very likely own an HD Tube capable of going all the way up to 1080i. Please post the make and model number, really curious if really an ED Tube.
    Unless you are talking about broadcast monitors, that is not correct. All consumer grade TVs are fixed scan and none of them (with the possible exception of that weird 1500i TV from JVC) will display 720p natively.
    Er no. I can watch SD or HD signals on my Sony Trinitron WEGA KV-32HS500 CRT all crystal clear compared to newer flat screens attempting to upscale SD signals. The only thing the HD CRT does not have is SD Tube Scan Lines or Light Gun support. Amazing how clear all the resolutions are on the HD CRT. Newer flat screens display beautiful with an HD signal but fall "flat" whenever a regular SD connection is used.

The newest LED models do get rid of the pixelation but tends to display SD video in a blurry upscaled image. HD CRTs do not upscale, that same SD video is so clear and sharp, every detail can be seen, even if only a 480i signal. HD video on the HD tube really stand out, though newer flat screens do have the edge on the higher resolutions. Right now there are still a lot of video compromise be it dish or cable; many stations still in SD. When ALL signals go to HD, then the LED screen would be the best choice. However, older game consoles even attached to 3rd party upscaler boxes will never look as clear as hooking up to a CRT.

Of note I mentioned also owning a SD WEGA, model number KD-27FS170. The Sony site marketing specifications PDF mention it is a 1080i tube, yet the Component connection is confirmed 480i. When I set the DVD player to Progressive Scan, I get the rolling image, confirming only 480i support. However, this particular TV has a built in HD Tuner, the off the air HD digital broadcasts are so detailed and scan free, the tube appears to display in either 720p or 1080i directly based on the logo readout from the TV station.
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 11-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Er no. I can watch SD or HD signals on my Sony Trinitron WEGA KV-32HS500 CRT all crystal clear compared to newer flat screens attempting to upscale SD signals. The only thing the HD CRT does not have is SD Tube Scan Lines or Light Gun support.
    The fact that light guns do not work is proof that the tube is being scanned at a different rate.

The newest LED models do get rid of the pixelation but tends to display SD video in a blurry upscaled image. HD CRTs do not upscale, that same SD video is so clear and sharp, every detail can be seen, even if only a 480i signal. HD video on the HD tube really stand out, though newer flat screens do have the edge on the higher resolutions. Right now there are still a lot of video compromise be it dish or cable; many stations still in SD. When ALL signals go to HD, then the LED screen would be the best choice. However, older game consoles even attached to 3rd party upscaler boxes will never look as clear as hooking up to a CRT.
    CRTs produce a softer image than LCDs and Plasmas which would hide some of the scaling artifacts.

Of note I mentioned also owning a SD WEGA, model number KD-27FS170. The Sony site marketing specifications PDF mention it is a 1080i tube, yet the Component connection is confirmed 480i. When I set the DVD player to Progressive Scan, I get the rolling image, confirming only 480i support. However, this particular TV has a built in HD Tuner, the off the air HD digital broadcasts are so detailed and scan free, the tube appears to display in either 720p or 1080i directly based on the logo readout from the TV station.
    That is a Hi-Scan model. It displays everything at 1080i; however, it does not accept an HD signal over component.
    Last edited by RP2A03; 11-01-2015 at 12:11 PM.