Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Price Madness: $80 for Elemental Gimmick Gear (Dreamcast)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Online Price Madness: $80 for Elemental Gimmick Gear (Dreamcast)

Really, people at large? $50 - $80 for a complete copy of EGG (Elemental Gimmick Gear) for Dreamcast? Why?! It's just a mediocre action-RPG. It's not bad per se, but it is not grand. There are good reasons why this was clearance priced at $20, $15, $10 back in the day. Yes, the egg-shaped mecha and the spinning mechanics are interesting, but the game just isn't worth $50 - $80 CIB or $35 for incomplete copies. And these aren't the "crazy sellers asking prices nobody will pay" prices, these are the "people are actually routinely paying these" prices.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That surprises me. I bought that for, like, $3 at EB years and years ago. It was everywhere... I guess the same could be said of games like Guardian Heroes as well, but EGG is hardly a cult classic. It was always just kind of there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't even know if I own it or not, but if I do it's probably getting sold for the holidays if that price holds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that ugh game of all things as I remember it fairly well sucking and tanking sales wise when DC was alive. They almost had to give it away, and there were a LOT of copies, it's not like some rarity or even a faux rarity. Perhaps let's just leave it that the sellers are the shepherds and the buyers are the flock -- mindless sheep happy to graze in that field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Damn it, I don't have it. I was looking for an easy flip on a crap game. Oh well; I wonder if that $300.00 M.U.S.H.A. madness is going to happen again this Christmas.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It may be worth going to your local classic game stores and see if they have copies of this game at its original reasonable prices. I checked E-bay and it seems MOST of the completed listings were closer to the $50 range. I'm pretty sure I have the game but can't remember if it is complete or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well that just means people are attempting in mass without direct communication to intentionally raise the price of a game to a higher level to score more for it than the usual shoot for the typical value. If you're seeing people doing $80 bins to ask and few buys, but then you see the going (paid) rate from other bins but usually open auction pricing around $50, that's your real value. Still $50 for that one is kind of amazing, it just wasn't much good at all.

I can't speak for MUSHA on Genesis though, then again I don't think any game is worth $300 and offloaded the ones I mostly had too to get my pinball machine as weirdness like that, especially on non-true rares, can't last. I just got into Genesis, and really, if MUSHA is that good i'd like to know and try the ROM out if it's really worth the time, but then at that rate I'd be all about finding one lying around (super unlikely around here) or I've seen bootlegs of it go for like $50 or less online especially if the label is gone/jacked. $300 seems to be where it lies with a complete nice one. I guess if you take it into perspective with the SNES though and something like Aerofighters which is like twice that for the game and triple complete it's far easier to stomach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

MUSHA is really impressive. It uses colors really well, runs fast, has some nice graphical tricks, and has a very playable difficulty curve. I'm not saying it's worth paying $300, but it is outstanding, and it had a sequel of sorts on Sega CD, Robo Aleste. It is just super polished and solidly built.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

At the least, I think MUSHA is on Wii Virtual Console so it is possible to play it legitimately for a reasonable price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I purchased my copy for about 20 bucks (complete) when I moved up North after losing all of my Genesis games in a house fire (it wasn't the fire that took them, but the looters that broke in the night after). I liked the game, but I NEVER would have thought that it would have shot up in price like it has. I've only held onto it because I have sort of an attachment to all of the early Genesis titles I played as a kid. I just like having it there on my shelf, but it's on a short list of titles that I'm ready to off if I ever fall on financial hardships.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I got a loose cart at a Game Crazy years ago for $2.99 using their special order program, and so did one of my friends. Good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well he's right, it's one of those games that at least are quality but you'd never think would have gone nuts on value. At least the high end is $300 in immaculate complete shape, 1/2 that loose, less if you get lucky or it's battered or missing a sticker (and given the low quality of sega stickers probably easy to reproduce.) And yes it is on all 3 regions of the WII virtual console if you have the system (I do not.)

One game I ended up reading about being about top tier as it quality wise with some solid use of detail, color, and audio scoring is Elemental Master and luck be it I found a copy today, used some credit on some near valueless games if sold on ebay and got it for $18. I'll keep an eye out for MUSHA but I won't blindly pay $150 for a loose game, especially a shooter. Hell I know Aerofighters real well on SNES and i wouldn't drop nearly $200 on it years ago before it went nuts and doubled off that loose alone as I used to own it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bought EGG for ~$10 a good while back. Sold it this year for $60+.

You snooze you lose on sleepers.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I count on finding it in the "wild" cheap. I seem to be good at that except for a few random titles or items.

maybe dreamcast is quickly becoming the new gamecube. I cant understand why some gamecube titles hold their value so well when there are TONS of copies of some games made

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I passed on this game a long time ago I guess. I thought I had it but I guess I don't. I love the Dreamcast and have been planning on going for the set for a fun goal. I believe the price is due to the influx of collectors that started with NES, then moved to SNES. When that got to expensive, Gamecube and Genesis were next. Now that they have shot up as well; they have moved onto the Dreamcast. I firmly believe the next few years the price of the Dreamcast will shoot up. Its been slowly happening already. People want to collect for a system with a low price per game average. When the cost gets too high because everybody else had the same idea, they move on to the next one. I am wondering when the first Xbox and PSP are going to be the big thing. Now is the time to get the set or at least buy up all the ones you like while the prices are low for those 2 systems. The main collector wave will hit them one day. Its just a matter of time....

Just my humble opinion.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Huh, when did this happen? EGG was one of the first games I ever picked up for Dreamcast, back when the system was on its death bed and you could easily nab a new copy of EGG for 10 bucks or less. Still have never played it all the way through, but it doesn't seem half-bad. Never expected it to be anything but a cheap common, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

80 bucks? I am surprised to see the game jump up that much, but i can totally understand it.

EGG seemed to be very hit or miss game. Most reviews at the time either loved or hated it, but those that loved it REALLY loved it. Over the years it has garnered somewhat of a cult following with more people discovering it.

It has absolutely gorgeous hand drawn graphics and plays out like a quirky steampunk Zelda adventure. Even if you don't like the game, its hard to deny that it has an incredible OST with songs like Selen, Eastokion and Fog Edge.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I have it. Bought it when it was cheap, granted I bought my Dreamcast games when they were all cheap. Haven't played it yet. Not going to sell it though. So eh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    There are good reasons why this was clearance priced at $20, $15, $10 back in the day.
    To be fair this usually happens to a good amount of common games. You couldn't give Dragon Ball GT away in the bargain bin for a few dollars but when the Dragon Ball Z cartoon hit the price of used copies went up to $100-$300. I'm not sure what's driving EGG's price but the practice isn't anything new.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    To be fair this usually happens to a good amount of common games. You couldn't give Dragon Ball GT away in the bargain bin for a few dollars but when the Dragon Ball Z cartoon hit the price of used copies went up to $100-$300. I'm not sure what's driving EGG's price but the practice isn't anything new.
    Perhaps some new medical journal report showed that EGGs have a cholesterol that won't kill you if you eat enough of them.