Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the psvita library become valuable in a couple of years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Will the psvita library become valuable in a couple of years?

The vita right now has SO MANY jrpg and japanese niche games, and a lot of collector editions too, the vita gets tons of games from XSEED,ATLUS, NIS AMERICA, etc. When I see a limited edition box, its hard not to buy it, even when games get bad reviews!! And a lot of these release are probably very limited too, AFAIK vita games arent widely available and the collector editions will become rare soon.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only time games are going to be valuable on the Vita is if there's demand, and there's no demand because no one cares about the games, so no. The only games that are valuable on the Vita are some English imports of Final Fantasy 10-2 HD and Soul Sacrifice Delta since the only way to get retail versions of these games is get the low print run Asian version. Soul Sacrifice Delta being around $100 to get a retail version.

Also the Vita doesn't have very many JRPGs and most of what it does have is able to be purchased on the PS3. 3DS is more of a JRPG machine than the Vita.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The only time games are going to be valuable on the Vita is if there's demand, and there's no demand because no one cares about the games, so no.
    Are any of the Wonderswan games worth a lot ? Or Neo-Geo pocket color ?

I'm sure there will be a few Vita games 20 years from now that are worth something, just based on rarity and curiosity in general, but yeah, I wouldn't start buying up all the jrpgs you can get your hands on, hoping for a cash windfall 20 years from now.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Are any of the Wonderswan games worth a lot ?
    I've heard Klonoa and Makaimura (I got them for like $30 each CIB a few years ago, heard they were the most demand).
    Rockman & Forte is worth something as well (I guess Mega Man collectors, game looks like a shitty bootleg and I imagine it probably plays like one too)
    Judgment Silversword (supposedly a great shooter. I didn't even realize was a retail game at first, I thought it was a fan game made with the official homebrew devkit WonderWitch, which itself is probably worth something)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

While the Vita probably won't explode like say, the SNES and N64 are now, yes, I do believe that the Vita library will gain value in time. What do I base this on? Other similar niche-y systems. Look at the TurboGrafx16. Nobody much bought one back in the day, and nobody much buys one today. Yet its library of niche games is filled with titles that sell for well and beyond what you might expect for such a limited appeal system.

I happen to love the Vita, but the reason I collect for it isn't to make it rich one day by selling off my collection. I truly enjoy the games that I buy for it, from Persona 4 Golden to the excellent and hilarious Hyperdimenion Neptunia games.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sure, but no different from any other system. Some games will be valuable, some won't. There are a number of Vita games with pretty limited physical print runs, so those aren't bad ones to target, if you're trying to predict what'll be among the more desirable titles later on. As far as regular print runs go, I wouldn't be surprised if the recently released Code: Realize and Norn9 hold some value. Otome games don't exactly have broad appeal and sell boatloads. With Sweet Fuse, it dropped in value (to like 20 bucks) until it sold out, and then it started climbing in value and now used copies are more than the original MSRP. Granted, Sweet Fuse was the very last regular retail PSP release, so that surely played a role in sales and such, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Code: Realize and Norn9 go a similar route, especially considering that they're good games too.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

One other thing to take into account as far as collector-driven value will be the size of the complete physical library. The Turbografx has a relatively small library, which has added to the amount of people looking to complete sets. Virtual Boy games and systems really blew up when collectors saw a small number, as did Jaguar, N-Gage, 32X, and NGPC. If the physical library remains small enough, it will funnel the set collectors in and add another factor of competition.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think that train has already passed. There are already hundreds of physical releases. I'm sure the library won't end up PS1/PS2 big, but it's not notably small either. It probably already has more than the N64?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    One other thing to take into account as far as collector-driven value will be the size of the complete physical library. The Turbografx has a relatively small library, which has added to the amount of people looking to complete sets. Virtual Boy games and systems really blew up when collectors saw a small number, as did Jaguar, N-Gage, 32X, and NGPC. If the physical library remains small enough, it will funnel the set collectors in and add another factor of competition.
    SuperGrafx and DSi must be insane! (At 5 and 4 retail games, respectively)
    And New 3DS which only has ONE retail game.
    (I was going to count the SGX 1 dual-compatible game and its rare promo variant, but then I realized in fairness I'd have to count the numerous "DSi-enhanhced" games.)
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 12-05-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who cares about value? You buy games based on future value? I buy games based on what I like to play. It ain't the NYSE. Look into bigger things if you plan on investing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Who cares about value? You buy games based on future value? I buy games based on what I like to play. It ain't the NYSE. Look into bigger things if you plan on investing.
    A game is only good if I can make money on it later or hold it over peoples heads that I have it and they don't. Play them? This isn't the 80's anymore. I just watch a "let's play" of all the games I buy so I don't have to actually open them. /s
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just write collector's item on every box and get it over with already. Isn't that the point?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    A game is only good if I can make money on it later or hold it over peoples heads that I have it and they don't. Play them? This isn't the 80's anymore. I just watch a "let's play" of all the games I buy so I don't have to actually open them. /s
    Thanks for the good laugh. Well played

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Just write collector's item on every box and get it over with already. Isn't that the point?
    Isn't that pretty much what the film industry did with the DVD market? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Shh they're watching.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There are more reasons to be concerned with a game's future rarity/value than as an investment. Personally, I try to get the best deal I can on the games that I buy. If there's something that seems like it'll be cheap and common down the road, I'm not going to bother to pay full MSRP unless I'm just dying to play it right away. If it's something that I suspect may cost just as much used down the road as the MSRP, or even more, then of course I'd rather spend less and buy now.

I swear, this forum has become so anti-collector, which is just silly considering it was created as a gathering spot for game collectors. It's like you can even talk about rarity and/or value anymore, which used to be a staple of this forum, without people automatically assuming that you have no interest in playing what you buy. You know, it is possible to be a collector AND a gamer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I dont buy the games to make a profit, but i want to get them now when they are widely available then chase them later for crazy prices... because i know ill still buy them! The collector edition of odin sphere looks sweet, ill buy it for sure! I just found out xenoblade x has a special edition, bought it right now for 170$ cdn because i dont want to spend even more for it in a year or two if i dont get it when it released
    Last edited by PreZZ; 12-06-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Don't forget "RARE". They're always "RARE"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Don't forget "RARE". They're always "RARE"!
    I dont carw for special éditions like halo 5 at 330$, which will probaly be available for 40$ because they are too many unsold. I bought halo 3 legendary with the master chief helmet for 30$ a year later! But im a sucker for those limited edition jrpg like last story, ni no kuni, shin mwga ten ps2, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If people are interested in collecting for the Vita cheaply then I imagine that the stores that still carry Vita games will be clearancing them out any day now. Gamestop will obviously be the last hold out but Toys R Us and Target have already started clearancing out Vita games for the better part of 2015.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.