View Poll Results: What's a good shooter console? (Saturn, SNES, and TG-16/PC Engine not on the list)

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genesis

6 40.00%
  • NES

1 6.67%
  • Master System

1 6.67%
  • Dreamcast

3 20.00%
  • Playstation

1 6.67%
  • Classic (which one?)

3 20.00%
  • Modern (which one?)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else collect shooters? What's a good console?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone else collect shooters? What's a good console?

I used to love old shooters like Phoenix and Gradius back in the day, and now I've rediscovered them. I especially love 2-D shooters and pseudo 3-D shooters like Space Harrier.

I think that the Saturn is THE best console for shooters, but I've heard that the Japanese PC Engine has a pretty amazing library of shooters... maybe even better than the vaulted Saturn.

I've got a complete collection of all the Sega Saturn shooters (domestic and import) and I'm almost done getting all the domestics for Super Nintendo (Firepower 2000 is a great one for those of you with a SNES, as is R-Type 3.) The SNES is a great machine with some really cool games, but there are only a few REALLY good shooters and even those are bogged down with slowdown. The SNES really wasn't designed for shooters, unfortunately.

I was thinking of getting into the Genesis shooters next... it seems like there were a bunch of them in the 1990's and they run really fast. I've got about 10 good shooters for the TG-16, but I don't want to get into the imports because I've spent far too much money already on the Saturn and I don't want to go down that road again with all the cool shooters on the PC Engine.

What are your thoughts about the best CHEAP shooter console? Genesis? Is the NES really capable of fast shooters? How's the PSX in this department? The Dreamcast has a few, but I'm afraid I might get Dreamcast-obsessed and that sounds expensive. Are the few DC shooters worth the cost of the whole setup and the insuing desire to get every game made for the DC?

What ya think?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

The PSX has it's share including Eihnhander, Dairus, R-Types, R-Type Delta, Philosoma, Warhawk, and a few more. The Genny has some outstanding games like MUSHA, Insector X, Steel Empire, Whip Rush, Sol-Feace, Lightening Force, and more. Don't count out the Sega CD either.....Lords of Thunder and Bari-Arm kick ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

The NES has a number of pretty good ones too...Zanac, Legendary Wings, 1942, 1943, Sky Kid, Galaga, Solar Jetman, Gradius, Life Force, etc.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as shooters go, the pc-engine is the console to get, the games won't come cheap by any means. If you want a great console with a good selection of cheaper shoot em up's, go for the genesis, I don't believe giarias, phelios, or air buster were mentioned... all great shooters

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one more thing...Gamereview,...do you really like sol-feace?, I think that game blows chunks hehe, one of the few shooters (besides earth defenese) on the Genesis I don't care for

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually, if you get a PC Engine, the PCE demand on eBay has dropped like a stone. Games released in the US are MUCH cheaper to get for the PCE than the native TG-16. Take another look at the PCE auctions on eBay and you'll see what I mean.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Sol-Feace wasn't bad, just not the best of the best. It remined me of Phalanx on the SNES. I can't believe I forgot Gaires though....Great stuff...just brutally hard.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beleve the NES has the best shooters (galaga, Defender 2, choplifter, contra, etc.) but the PC has the best FPS (doom, wolf 3D, etc.).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hells ya, the DC is worth it. There aren't too many shooters for it, so you won't get broke even if you gotta catch 'em all. I've got:
    Bangai-O
    Cannon Spke
    Giga Wing
    Giga Wing 2
    Gunbird 2
    Ikaruga
    Mars Matrix
    Twinkle Star Sprites
    Zero Gunner 2

You should be able to pick up the domestics for $10-20 apiece. And you can pick up a system for $30 at Gamestop. The 3 imports will probably run you $100-150 combined.

And I guess I'll have to pick up Border Down when it comes out (maybe it already has?). As far as the impulse to complete the DC collection, I have about 30 DC games total, and I don't think I'll ever have more than 40. Besides, even if the bug does bite you, the games seem to be pretty cheap when you do find them.

The Playstation is another good one. If you like horizontals, then it's worth it just to have R-Type Delta, Einhander, G-Darius, and Gradius Gaiden (import). Exclusive verticals are sparser. Xevious 3D/G+ and maybe Raiden Project? Plus, with a couple of the Namco Museum discs you can pick up Dragon Spirit and Ordyne. And Robotron 2084 and Smash TV with dual sticks (even if thumbsticks) is good.

How cheap is cheap?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    Actually, if you get a PC Engine, the PCE demand on eBay has dropped like a stone. Games released in the US are MUCH cheaper to get for the PCE than the native TG-16. Take another look at the PCE auctions on eBay and you'll see what I mean.

-AG
    Adam, I followed your advice. I went to ebay and looked up the PC Engine stuff. Sure enough, the demand is gone. The funny thing is that the min bids are still high. Nearly every item is not selling. You'd think the sellers would take the hint. You still can't get them cheap, there just happens to be a shitload that are available.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mostly collect Tequilla and Johnny Walker shooters.
    What the F is a polygon???

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

My thoughts:

NES...too primitave and too plagued with flicker. Some fun games, but the flicker ruins it for me.

TG16/PC Engine...excellent stuff, but you're gonna pay for it. If you're into the more traditional style of shmup, as opposed to the manic style that dominates the Saturn, you need this machine.

Genny/Sega CD...best bang for buck (pun intended.) You can still find the games for cheap (mostly) and though there's a glut of non-descript shmups, there's also some real winners here. Personally, this would be my pick.

NeoGeo...if you're going homecart, expect to pay big time. The MVS is gonna cost you to get into, but you can play all the titles and the games are cheaper. Not the biggest shmup library, but the quality is very high over all. (Plus you can play the Metal Slug series. My "money is no object" pick.

SNES...as you noticed, not a good machine for shmups. Really there aren't too many of them anyway and of those Axelay is the only one you can't play elsewhere that's worth playing. A solid pass.

PSX...small library, but good titles mostly. Again, you're gonna need to import (DoDonpachi, Gradius Gaiden, etc.) but even if you stick to domestics, there's good stuff to play.

Dreamcast...small library, but even the worst title (Giga Wing) is still worth playing. Pretty much the heir apparent to the Saturn in terms of gameplay. So much potential...

So, the short version, get a Genny if you wanna go cheap and not import. Most of the DC and PSX titles should be in reach without breaking the bank. Stay far away from the Neo and PC Engine if you're worried about money and importing (though you'll miss some really fine games.)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For traditional shooting, the PC Engine is my system of choice. Great library! Rtype, Gradius, Lifeforce, Gates o Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Super Star Soldier, Sylphia, amongst others are choice games.

Then again, you really cant go wrong with the Sega systems: Genesis, Saturn, and DC are full of shmuppy goodness. Mars Matrix will own your DC
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote Dreamcast and PlayStation. However, PlayStation's shooters are my cheaper in my experience. I've found G. Darius, Raycrisis, and Thunderforce V for less than 20 bucks total. Also, Gekioh: Shooting King is a budget title that's easily found at stores like Circuit City.

In my experience, Gigawing 1 and 2, Mars Matrix, and Gunbird 2 for DC aren't necessarily easy to find in the wild. 20 bucks each isn't cheap, but it's a great system if you want be wowed by the graphics.

Also, has anybody considered Game Boy Advance? Phalanx, Robotech, Star X, Gradius Galaxies, and Iridion I and II aren't that hard to find...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    SNES...as you noticed, not a good machine for shmups. Really there aren't too many of them anyway and of those Axelay is the only one you can't play elsewhere that's worth playing. A solid pass.
    R-Type III is excellent and the import-only Pop N' Twin Bee is quite good, but otherwise, I agree. You can complete a collection of worthwhile SNES shooters in short order.

I echo much of the above: the Saturn and Genesis have the best array of shooters, yet there's something to be said for the Turbo/PC-Engine, the PlayStation, and even the small library of SegaCD shooters. The DC's another good choice, even if I think Mars Matrix is seriously overrated.

The Game Gear and SMS also merit mention, if only for the four Aleste titles between them.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I got my last domestic (traditional) shooter for the SNES this weekend...

Aero Fighters (aka Sonic Wings)

It was originally a a JAMMA-compatible arcade game that was only ported to the SNES. It was followed by two sequels, Aero Fighters 2 and Aero Fighters 3 (Sonic Wings 2 and 3) for the Neo-Geo only, with a re-mixed verison containing elements of all three games appearing on the Saturn as Sonic Wings Special (with a cool mini-CD of music included.)

This SNES game was a bitch to find! It hasn't appeared on Ebay in forever, or Half.com, or any of the well-known internet marketers. I looked in the DP guide... it's an R7. BuyRite videogames claimed to have it, and I had looked so long for this game I even considered using them even though they are one of the worst retailers (of anything) that I have ever encountered. I ordered it from them (delivered COD... I'm not giving those thieves any of my CC numbers) but of course it never arrived and they never responded.

I went to my old stand-by, McVans Video Games. It wasn't listed on their website, but I wrote them an e-mail and they responded quickly saying that they had it in stock. These guys are a bit pricey ($32 plus $6 shipping) but very nice and professional and the game came right away (how about ditching that big-ass sticker x_x on the back of tha cart, guys? It tore the hell out of the label.)

My first thoughts were that this game was nothing but a mediocre Raiden rip-off. I've picked it up and played it a few times since then, though, and now I realize it's actually pretty good. Raiden on the SNES isn't so hot, and Aero Fighters doesn't suffer from the ridiculous slowdown that plagues Raiden. It has sucked me in and I am going to beat that damn boss any day now...

I've decided to start getting into the Genesis next... thanks for the input, dudes! (and dude-ettes)

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

You know, I honestly can't add anything to this thread that hasn't already been said, but if you can latch onto a Duo, try to find a copy of Nexzr. It's quite good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Japanese Saturn lows the tits off of all the other systems shooter-wise. The Turbo comes close, but the Saturn has a ton of arcade-direct ports. That's the system to go w/ IMHO.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast is a solid bet, because the domestic shooters are cheap and easy to find. The imports are expensive but not unreasonable (at least for now!).

PS: Oh yeah Twinke Star Sprites for import DC is a fun 2 player shooter, and arcade perfect!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

$32 for SNES Areo Fighters? Yikes. I've seen the PCB @ $40 or less several times.