Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Video Game Critic is one of the best review sites. Check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been perusing VGC online for years! The site has so, so much content. I love to kick back with a drink and read down through various paragraph-length reviews for a particular console or two. I don't care that I disagree just as much as I agree - he did a great improvement by allowing user votes, as well as being able to sort by title and also sort by review Grade. I actually laugh at how quick VGC gives a game an F. There are so many F's across all the console games on his site. I mean, I'm not sure I ever played a game that I felt deserved an F.

I was going to give 1 example, but after checking it out ... one of the strangest of bad reviews was his Atari 5200 Star Raiders review ... originally he gave it an F ! An F, this game which was so beloved on the Atari 8bits and ported with a superior version to 5200! But I see that now he lists it as C+ and notes that he was too harsh originally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I admire his site for its longevity and the sheer amount of games he's reviewed, but we obviously do not like the same kinds of games.

If you want to build your collections with reviews, you would do well to check out this page. Very few (if any) stinkers here.

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/arc00050.htm
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've been enjoying and posting at Dave's site for almost ten years. My signature here use to have a banner link to it.

I'm glad more have found it. What I like about Dave's reviews and the community there is that they get just as excited learning about a new old game as a modern new game.

He also uses the whole grade scale, with plenty of Ds and a few Fs, although some of those Fs are head scratchers, like NES Metal Storm.

Dave definitely has a narrow tolerance for what he perceives as difficulty in games and grades accordingly.