Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phantasy Star 1 'Saccubus' battle question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Because Nintendo wants to stick their fuzzy pickle into people forcing them to own a WiiU.
    The only problem with that theory is that the hardware sales that Earthbound Zero created were minuscule. It is not a system seller for 99.9% of their potential customer base.

It's not even the first 1st party NES title to be exclusive to the 3DS or the Wii U and they undoubtedly gave up much more in 3DS Virtual Console sales than they gained on the Wii U side by keeping it exclusive. So I'd argue that it's simply a demonstration of their lack of interest in the 3DS Virtual Console and is symptomatic of a lack of effort across their range of Virtual Console platforms.

I have a suspicion that their NES emulator on the 3DS had issues with it and rather than simply rectify the problem, Nintendo just sat on it thinking that the potential sales didn't justify the effort.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-13-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was speaking more when they did it up front with Earthbound. They never made the attempt to get it going on 3DS or SNES in general despite some good emulators out there if you hack the system, and then yeah later the NES title too since it could have easily been dual released but suspiciously didn't. I know it wouldn't have been a system seller, but it was like a nudge to Earthbound fans to buy or use the WiiU or nothing.

You maybe right and their emulator is flawed,who knows, but definitely I'll agree with their whole VC apathy in general this generation as they've been slow and sloppy placing games out like they did last go around on Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo utilizes their own emulators, so even if the homebrewers have emulated it well, it's not as simple as just borrowing that work.

It's too bad though, since I certainly agree that it would've been nice to see Nintendo's 16 bit heritage represented on the 3DS. But happily for me, my 3DS is usually played within range of my Wii U so the Wii U gamepad satisfies any need I have to lounge back in bed and play classics like Link to the Past away from my tv.

I think one reason they didn't try harder is that they initially visualized taking these 16 bit classics and giving them the 3D Classics treatment, as mentioned more than once in interviews concerning Link to the Past for instance (An effort that eventually morphed into a full-blown original sequel). But of course Nintendo in their infinite wisdom lost interest in that concept almost overnight and only Sega ever embraced it.

And by then, Nintendo had basically lost interest in the 3DS Virtual Console and wasn't about to commission the creation of an emulator.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-18-2016 at 08:13 AM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    That number is so weird that you made me look up the max Meseta. The maximum Meseta you can carry is actually 65,535; which only looks weird untill you realize that it is 216 - 1.
    Yep, this is similar to the reason why the max rupees in the first Zelda was 255 (28-1). Guess Sega used two bytes because you need more money in an RPG.

If anyone wonders, it's -1 because you need to account for 0 for when you have no money.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Yep, this is similar to the reason why the max rupees in the first Zelda was 255 (28-1). Guess Sega used two bytes because you need more money in an RPG.

If anyone wonders, it's -1 because you need to account for 0 for when you have no money.
    This is known as an unsigned number. Literally no sign i.e. cannot represent negatives.

I'm not trying to tell you that directly Blast I'm just stating it for anyone reading.

Most SMB players know about the lives counter glitch; I believe they used a signed 8-bit number for the 1UP counter which is why after 127 it rolls over to -128. No idea why Nintendo didn't use an unsigned value for that, it's not like there's a legitimate reason to have negative lives lol.

Another example is Contra. They simply appended "00" to the end of your actual score counter, which is an unsigned 16-bit number, so I knew how many points I needed to counterstop the game. Fortunately Konami coded the game to stop adding once you reached the integer maximum.