Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star 1 'Saccubus' battle question

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Phantasy Star 1 'Saccubus' battle question

I was watching a youtube video that was summing up the events of the first Phantasy Star, and when he mentioned that Saccubus (Succubus) battle, he explained that you fought the Saccubus, but you lose the fight. I paused...

Am I the only one who wins that battle? I'm pretty sure that I always won the Saccubus battle, and IIRC it only gives you like 1 experience point when it's over. That's the main thing I remember about it. Am I remembering this wrong? Maybe confusing it with another game, or another battle in Phantasy Star?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You are correct, it is possible to win, but you get jack for exp. Did you do a heckuva lot of grinding during your run?
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 01-11-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, quite a bit. I always kill lots of Werebats and skeletons around the cave you find Odin in. I also go for the Iron Fang, and that dungeon is brutal.

Phantasy Star was my first RPG and I spent LOT of time grinding the first time I played when I didn't understand something I needed to do to get to the space port. I think it had to do with the passport, or something. Anyway, I spent so much time grinding the first time that I played through that the game would say 'Alis is already strong enough' when you checked your stats. Actually, I think it said that for everyone. The Meseta was maxed out as well later in the game, too. I forgot how much it was though. I think it was a weird number like $56,800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a great game. Shame there's no way to play the English version with the FM audio on a US console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Come to think of it I think I've only killed the Succubus too. I always did the same grinding the hell out of Alis early in the game because she'd get the crap beat out of her being alone and usually parties up against her getting multiple hits to her 1 which bugged the hell out of me. I'd make sure I could with some kind of ease make the run for a partner to have someone to run with to help kind of even the odds.

I know I will never own a SMS again, it's just not worth it and I can't commit the time, plus the games of which maybe a 1/3 I really love came from the UK and I'd rather not pay that again through ebay now they all use that crap global plan which makes for like $20+ shipping on an item. The sonics, streets of rage 1+2, the castlevania clone, golden axe warrior, and a few others I loved right up there along with the US gems like the Wonderboy titles, PStar 1, and various others, a good bit happily on this Sega Master/GG handheld I own (thankfully.)

I'll play PS1 again, when I decide it's time, I'll get that emulated Collection cart for the GBA, but when I do I'll make sure to get the manual and the fold out map/item+gear guide so I'm not just straight up screwed.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Come to think of it I think I've only killed the Succubus too. I always did the same grinding the hell out of Alis early in the game because she'd get the crap beat out of her being alone and usually parties up against her getting multiple hits to her 1 which bugged the hell out of me. I'd make sure I could with some kind of ease make the run for a partner to have someone to run with to help kind of even the odds.
    At that point in the game, I always joke to myself "Oh, those mean men, ganging up on that poor little girl!" So much more satisfying to kick their asses that way.

I'll play PS1 again, when I decide it's time, I'll get that emulated Collection cart for the GBA, but when I do I'll make sure to get the manual and the fold out map/item+gear guide so I'm not just straight up screwed.
    You might not want the GBA version unless its just the cheapest option... that version has a bug which causes it to randomly crash when you save your game. This bug only affects PS1, not 2 or 3, and my theory is it has to do with the save screen loading a different background. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be annoying. It essentially forces you to remember to save every five minutes, which is not how I play.

Personally I would buy the GBA version just to be legitimate, but then play it on an emulator anyway. It's also apparently an unlockable on one of the various Sega Genesis Collections that also includes 2, 3, and 4... and in Japan there's a collection of all four Phantasy Stars, plus the text adventures and game gear spinoffs, on PS2... and this one includes the English versions of the four main games. So if you have a PS2 that can play imports...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The collection that's actually titled Sega Genesis Collection doesn't include it and only has the Genesis sequels.

Between the flawed and incomplete GBA collection and the PS2 collection not having an English language option, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3/360 is by default the best compilation option to enjoy it and the sequels here in the West. And it not only includes the Genesis sequels from the earlier PS2/PSP collection, it also includes the rare and well done Zelda clone Golden Axe Warrior as another SMS unlockable.

While a few are able to notice some minor audio issues on the Genesis titles, it's a very well emulated collection with few issues. Just stay far away from the arcade unlockable of Space Harrier since Digital Eclipse really missed the mark there and it barely resembles itself, audio wise.

It won't do Tanooki any good, but just for the record, it's also on the Wii Virtual Console for the Wii (And via BC, the Wii U). I never downloaded it, but the three SMS titles that I did all ran and sounded correct so I'm sure Phantasy Star runs well, too.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-11-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I had read that the import Phantasy Star collection for PS2 does have english as an option, but only for the four Genesis titles.

Just to be clear, I meant the one mentioned in this article.

I just read up on that PS3/Xbox collection... apparently you have to beat the first boss of Sonic 2 with two controllers to unlock it. While that wouldn't be terribly hard, I always find it stupid that they hide stuff behind unlocks. I mean I understand it for hidden levels or outfits, but a playable game should be core effing content. Sega made the same mistake with Sonic Gems, Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Classics Collection... just let me play the damn games!

Then again that stuff is exactly why I prefer not going for ports or re-releases in the first place and will just get the original when possible. But I'm crazy like that.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    The Meseta was maxed out as well later in the game, too. I forgot how much it was though. I think it was a weird number like $56,800.
    That number is so weird that you made me look up the max Meseta. The maximum Meseta you can carry is actually 65,535; which only looks weird untill you realize that it is 216 - 1.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember that GBA glitch, but I don't really ever remember it harassing me much if ever. Maybe bad luck on you good on me? I can't say it didn't happen, but it wasn't every so often I had to save every 5min either where I'd find it crash on some saves. Either way yeah cheapest option because otherwise I'd have to buy the actual game and a power base converter. Since those dolts at ATGames didn't put a SD card slot on the GG/SMS handheld (like Genesis) I can' just plop a rom on it. The other would be to get an ezflash 4 and the sms/gg emulator on there or wait for the gba everdrive that supposedly is happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is so easy to not only unlock all the SMS and arcade games in, it's simple enough for folks like ourselves where you can get all that and all the achievements/trophies in about two hours. So while annoying, it's not much of an issue in this instance.

Was more annoying when it was new and the 360/PS3 were 2-3 years old or so, since a fair number of folks didn't have a 2nd controller thanks to the state of single screen multiplayer on those systems and the dominance of online. But now that they're 9-10 years old, I don't see that being much of an annoyance for very many people. 99% of us will have multiple controllers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I had read that the import Phantasy Star collection for PS2 does have english as an option, but only for the four Genesis titles.
    Only three Genesis titles, right?

The article says the English language option is present for all four main PS titles, so the SMS original is surprisingly covered (M2 must've realized this wasn't going to head West and deliberately worked to make it import friendly). Sadly though, the FM sound option for the original can only be enabled with the Japanese language version, per that link. So a major reason why a fan would be interested in importing it disappears.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-12-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Only three Genesis titles, right?
    The first Phantasy Star was actually remade for the Genesis/Mega Drive but only came out in Japan and had a low print run, sadly this version never seems to get a rerelease for any compilation.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/5704...n/images/18676

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks, I never knew that (Or if I did, I've forgotten it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I didn't know about the port either. I need this!
    Last edited by calgon; 01-12-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

AFAIK the Genesis release of Phantasy Star is just the Master System ROM in a Genesis cart wired to enable SMS mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that lazy eh? And people dump on Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for not going nuts with the color improvements looking marginally better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

To be fair, the Phantasy Star genny port was meant to be a contest giveaway, not something people pay money for.

I find it odd that (at least a year or so ago) it was actually easier to find that Genesis port than it was to find the original SMS/Mark III version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ness7281992
    Steam
    Ness7281992@gmail.com

Going back to the original theme of this thread. I beat the Saccubus once... using PAR codes on it years later on an emulator .
    Really, I just did it to see what it would do. Though I've long forgotten which games do it, there were a BUNCH of RPGs on the GB, Gen and SNES that did the same thing. I guess it was kind of a safety measure, like they couldn't program infinite HP into an enemy on the system at the time so they gave it an obscene amount of the stuff and gave it 1 xp so it wasn't a null value or something.

Yeah, i don't really recommend the GBA version of the game, mostly because I'm not a fan of the GBA (nothing to do with the games, I just don't like the sound quality on the thing. I'd recommend the Wii virtual store version, as it would be the cheapest overall to acquire, or get the aforementioned genesis collection on x360/ps3. I don't think it's on the Nintendo 3/DS eShop, but i could be wrong. I'd love it if it were, though.

In fact, now that i think about it, last time i checked, "Earthbound Beginnings" still isn't on the 3DS, either. I don't have a Wii U (or Wii for that matter), so it'd be lovely if Nintendo ported it over to the handheld as well. Why? Look at my username. If you can't put 2 and 2 together, I'll have to poke you with a fuzzy pickle unto you do.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    AFAIK the Genesis release of Phantasy Star is just the Master System ROM in a Genesis cart wired to enable SMS mode.
    I didn't know it was an unchanged rerelease, I previously heard it was an upgraded enhanced version. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ness7281992 View Post
    In fact, now that i think about it, last time i checked, "Earthbound Beginnings" still isn't on the 3DS, either. I don't have a Wii U (or Wii for that matter), so it'd be lovely if Nintendo ported it over to the handheld as well. Why? Look at my username. If you can't put 2 and 2 together, I'll have to poke you with a fuzzy pickle unto you do.
    Because Nintendo wants to stick their fuzzy pickle into people forcing them to own a WiiU. 3DS though GBA games aren't really emulated, the ambassador stuff just ran cold which is why it has no perks and the titles are random. They don't care to or want to make an emulator to run other stuff which I found screwy.

To that other comment, that is odd a giveaway game was easier to find than the real SMS copy of Phantasy Star. My luck had it a few years back when I got my 2nd SMS someone GAVE me PS1 complete as they didn't need it, but the deal was if I ever got rid of it/sold the system, I had to gift the game to the next person -- which I did. I remember then it was already looking at $40 CIB.