I still play modern games, but I will say that there is definitely plenty of things you can hate about modern gaming. Let me list a few:

1. The loss of actual "ownership". Don't even get me started with this. People just throwing their ownership rights into the garbage can by leasing (they call it buying) digital games.

2. How many times have you sat down, turned on your modern gaming system, expecting to play your current game that you're playing, but instead your system has to download some firmware thing, or needs some patch, and then 15 minutes later you're finally actually playing ?

3. microtransaction bullshit and other sleazyness... (remember when cheat codes were free ? )

4. needing to have an online connection for things to work right.

5. system link being killed in favor of online only crap

6. Games that don't include a legit single player campaign. (basically the slow death of the single player game)

Having said all of that, I think it's a huge mistake to just say that all modern gaming is garbage and not participate at all in modern gaming. Now, I can understand the systems being too expensive, but at a certain point, it's a good idea to try out some of this modern stuff... I'm actually more interested in VR than anything else, although I have to admit that I've never tried VR and I might hate it after trying it. I have no idea if it will work for me or not, but it sounds super interesting.