Thread: Pricing Question

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pricing Question

What all is considered when determining how much something is priced in the guide?

For example, I noticed in the online guide that Iron Soldier III for NUON is priced at $30, while Spider-Man: Web of Fire for 32X is priced at a whopping $80. This seems inconsistent to me because Spidey is only a R7, versus a R6 for Iron Soldier III (and I was under the impression that both had similar manufacturing numbers). The popularity of the Spidey franchise could play a part, but in eBay auctions I've seen both go for around $80 complete. I realize eBay isn't often a good judge of a game's "true" worth, but it certainly has to be considered as part of the equation and it would seem like it has been in Spider-Man's case. I don't doubt that Spider-Man is worth more than Iron Soldier III, but in this scenario (with the rarity being roughly the same and online auctions yielding similar results) I don't see how Spider-Man could be 166% more valuable.

I'm not trying to say the pricing is inaccurate, just looking for a clarification on what all goes into the decision-making process that would explain such an apparent difference in similar games.

And yes, I do have a vested interest in the answer to this question...can you guess which of the above games I own? :P

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Pricing Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tritoch
    I don't doubt that Spider-Man is worth more than Iron Soldier III, but in this scenario (with the rarity being roughly the same and online auctions yielding similar results) I don't see how Spider-Man could be 166% more valuable.
    In short, WOF has a much higher demand than IS3, thus the higher value.

I think (and I could be wrong) that the comparison between the two systems here isn't entirely fair. An R6 in the Nuon library is not equal to an R7 in the 32X library, thus the different value ratings.

Think of it this way: there are arguably many more 32X collectors than Nuon collectors. A lot of gamers aren't really into the Nuon (yet!). The 32X is an older, more well known system, and WOF is widely recognized as the toughest cart to hunt down, and is in high demand. Nuon completists will certainly want IS3, BUT, the IS3 demand is less than that of WOF.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Dave's got it. The reason why we display BOTH rarity and price is because across systems the results are different. People will pay more for an R8 Neo-Geo than they will for an R8 Fairchild Channel F.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I was assuming that it was primarily due to demand given the fact that they had similar print runs (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), but what throws me off is that I've seen the same "demand" (ending price, approx. # of bids i.e. activity, etc.) in each of their respective auctions. That leads me to believe that there's another factor besides demand at play here.

In short I'm sure demand plays a part, but from what I've observed it isn't that big of a gap between the two. Is it alone enough to justify a $50 difference?

@DP: That's why I mentioned the print run as well, because I'm under the impression that they both had roughly the same # of copies produced (ie "supply"). As a result justifying the price difference falls solely on demand, and from what I've observed that doesn't seem to be enough in this situation. This is really more a question of overall pricing methodology than just the price of these two games.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Is the question still what's making the difference of $50 between 32X Spidey and NUON Iron Soldier III?

If so, here are the factors.

1. 32X, despite its seeming unpopularity, is MUCH more popular to collectors than NUON, at least as of right now.

2. It's Spider-man.

3. It's cart vs. CD. Carts are still more collectible (and I believe it will stay this way).

4. I've had both games in my trade box. It took forever to get someone to "bite" on the IS3 game, I had to pitch it, and I was just lucky enough to find ONE NUON-savvy person at a NAVA meeting. I could sell 32X Spidey's all day long, probably at a much higher price. Bottom line: first-hand experience.

Side note: I don't like using eBay for any kind of trending unless a game is exceedingly POPULAR. Lack of data creates bad results and from my experience eBay is the anomaly center of the world. I've seen games that I find in the wild regularly perceived as RARE on eBay and vice-versa.

I hope this helps! Also keep in mind that we're a TEAM on these things. No one individual is ever in charge of pricing a section. Many years of collecting and a hardcore group really helps flesh out lists. Also, they're NEVER perfect and ALWAYS changing

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Is the question still what's making the difference of $50 between 32X Spidey and NUON Iron Soldier III?

If so, here are the factors.

1. 32X, despite its seeming unpopularity, is MUCH more popular to collectors than NUON, at least as of right now.

2. It's Spider-man.

3. It's cart vs. CD. Carts are still more collectible (and I believe it will stay this way).

4. I've had both games in my trade box. It took forever to get someone to "bite" on the IS3 game, I had to pitch it, and I was just lucky enough to find ONE NUON-savvy person at a NAVA meeting. I could sell 32X Spidey's all day long, probably at a much higher price. Bottom line: first-hand experience.
    That's basically what I was looking for: a method to the madness. I knew all of those things already (save for #4, since I've never seen your trade box), but was curious as to what exactly you were factoring in. Any difference that remains is now based solely on opinion (I disagree with #3 to an extent).

Side note: I don't like using eBay for any kind of trending unless a game is exceedingly POPULAR. Lack of data creates bad results and from my experience eBay is the anomaly center of the world. I've seen games that I find in the wild regularly perceived as RARE on eBay and vice-versa.
    I don't either; all the sales I'd seen of the two games were on eBay alone. Since I live in NC (aka Gamer Purgatory), I don't get to attend your fancy-schmancy conventions and such. :cry:

I hope this helps! Also keep in mind that we're a TEAM on these things. No one individual is ever in charge of pricing a section. Many years of collecting and a hardcore group really helps flesh out lists. Also, they're NEVER perfect and ALWAYS changing
    That's why I brought it up. I figured if I could learn more about your pricing method, I could possibly contribute in some way.

Well, that and greed.