Thread: My new Gameboy, GBC, and Gameboy Advance game storage and display solution

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My new Gameboy, GBC, and Gameboy Advance game storage and display solution

For a while now I've been struggling with what to do with all these Gameboy/GBC/GBA carts I have in terms of keeping them orginized and displayed. Both are kind of tricky with small carts that don't have end labels. It was annying, and I was simply storing them in plastic sandwich bags as all my other solutions were unsatisfactory. But then I suddenly had an idea.

A while back I picked up a handful of Plastic NES Cart cases, I ended up not using them as I A) didn't have enough for all my games, and B) found them kind of bulky and unnecessary.

I thought I'd just toss my portible carts in the cases, just to have them stored in a themed container. But then I discovered something fascinating. GB and GBA game carts FIT PERFECTLY.

So if I layered my game carts like so...

You end up with a case full of games looking like this!

And now I can put games cleanly on a shelf, and if I'm looking for something I can clearly see where it is without digging through a pile of random games.

This also works just as well for Gameboy/Gameboy Color carts!

The only downsides of this are A) Gameboy plastic protector cases do not fit in this configuration. And B) when you remove a cart the others may shift if you're not careful. EDIT: Oh and C) oddly shaped carts like Wario Ware Smooth Moves doesn't fit very well.

But I find this way WAY more elegant then 3-ring binders/baseball card sleeves of carts, which I've always found prone to games just falling out as they stretch the plastic sleeves.

Just thought I'd share this!

New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got 3 of those for NES and 1 SNES one, you could due to the depth store layers of games, not just one, so you could use them for storage or one for transporting games too since they fit so nicely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I've got 3 of those for NES and 1 SNES one, you could due to the depth store layers of games, not just one, so you could use them for storage or one for transporting games too since they fit so nicely.
    I've got them two layers deep. Both facing outward for easy visual reference.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Thanks for the tip! I just bought a set of 3 for my loose GBA carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes I saw you did that, it works nicely. I've just got 3 of them +1 SNES and 1 is used for GB games I have for sale online so I don't lose them. If I didn't have upwards of 100 games between the 3 GB brands I'd probably do what you're doing, but as it stands now I'm just sticking to my old library 2 drawer cabinet that once housed note cards with books/dewey decimal system codes on it. They sit perfectly side by side in 2 columbs, small gap in between the games to help pull them out and they're long so I've got room to go on both. I suppose if I could find a stack of those old nes cart cases it would well on a book shelf and I could figure something else out for the cabinet (or sell it.)

I'm wondering the differing depth and height of the SNES case if it would be appropriate for screwball carts of odd sizes. You got your twist sensor games, light sensor games, gbc rumble carts, etc.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I just got a few of these the other day. i'll have to try this out since my GB/GBC case is coming apart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just remembered these things have solid little tabs in them someone would have to try and snap off without ruining the back or using a dremel/auto nail file on them to remove smoothly.

Also I did the test on the SNES clamshell. Perfect size yet again, but this time, 10 to a side instead of 8 for the GBA games. I just remembered, stopped writing this here. More info for you. The SNES shell can comfortably hold 4 GBC tall rumble included carts standing on end in there as they're thicker. As far as Gameboy goes, sloppy. Laying sideways you can get three, and standing up vertically just 2, so you can get 10 in there with some rattle.

Ideally the SNES clamshell is excellent for GBC rumble games (holds 4, there's probably only 4 worth even owning though there are more) and GBA games you can get 10x2 (front/back) at 20 total to a case.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, the tabs on the SNES one would not need to be removed for GBC rumble cart games. If you face them backwards (Super NES logo away) they actually lock in there firmly as the tabs kind of hold them very well in place. You could also hold 3 inside the NES sized shell too with no room to spare havnig 2 side by side and one laying sideways above. I've got Pokemon Pinball and R2R Boxing so I can spot it. I really still need to get that Star Wars Pod Racing game for GBC sometime as it's solid.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 02-12-2016 at 08:57 PM.