Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default PlayStation 4+/4.5/4K/VR

Sony's more powerful version of the PlayStation 4 -- also known as the "PlayStation 4.5" and "PlayStation 4K" -- is expected to be announced prior to the launch of PlayStation VR this October, according to a new report from the Wall Street Journal. The upgraded PS4 will reportedly be able to play 4K resolution content, according to the report, and deliver "a high-end virtual-reality experience."
    Source: https://games.slashdot.org/story/16/03/28/177226/

So whatever SONY is going to call this thing, what do you all think of the idea of the PlayStation 4+ / 4.5 / 4K / VR?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's a nice idea but screws existing owners (though few I'm sure) who could afford to invest in all the required equipment who would have to buy another PS4. Nothing new though but Gameboys are far cheaper than HD consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Since the original Playstation there has been rumors of a more powerful revision of the console and it has not happened. It would be good to have a system revision because I don't own a PS4 and it would be great to get one at better price.

In reality is quite hard to do this, because you always will be limited by the specs of the original hardware to create new content to offer upgrades on games but still offering backwards compatibility for the PS4 owners because I just can't see a company as Sony to abandon the adopters of the original hardware, which are millions.

PSP had a revision that had more RAM and through firmware updates they allowed the developers to use more of the system. The PS3 had a similar firmware update that allowed developers to use more power of the system.

If the upgrade is not major, I can see it happening ... like the NDSi, New 3DS or the RAM upgrade for Saturn or N64 but it would be only for a niche audience.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

The beauty about consoles is everybody is on the same level performance wise, and i dont mind upgrades for new versions like the 360 adding hdmi output, but upgrading the gpu?!? F#@$ that dont cheap out next time you release a console and think long term, like you did with ps3. All games released on ps4 so far would probably still be possible on ps3 at a lower resolution, but still decent.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think they should call it PS4.1.

I hear a lot of complaints about it, and at first I didn't like the sound of it, but after thinking about it, I really don't care that it's getting released. The thing is, is that whether the PS4.1 releases or not, every PS4 game that releases will be the same quality on your current PS4. The PS4.1 will just allow these games to be upscaled to 4k and might even allow them to run at increased fps. Being that this is being released as a premium product, hopefully Sony includes disc based backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 where you rip your games from the disc and there's a disc check to play them, doubtful but hopeful(whether they do or not, this will inevitably happen on the vanilla PS4 once hacked.)

If you guys happen to remember. The PSP2000 and 3000 had double the ram(and TV out) of the original PSP which gave the Slim versions better loading times, yet there was never a game released for the later PSP versions that couldn't play on the original. So I have no issue with keeping my vanilla PS4 and then at the end of the gen, if it's something that does improve the quality of the games I own, I'll purchase the PS4.1 when I can get it for $200 or less.

This is only a rumor what with the stuff I've heard saying it's going to be $400, which means If Sony was to release this two years ago we'd have seen a PS4 at a price point of $600+, and we may have seen PS360 all over again. With how well the PS4 is doing because of the price point it came out, we're starting to see a massive amount of Japanese support alongside western releases or atleast English Asian versions on a regular basis. Just think about what would have happened if PS4 didn't take off as it did, so I have no issues with the way they handled this.

PS4.1 is kupo approved.

If the upgrade is not major, I can see it happening ... like the NDSi, New 3DS or the RAM upgrade for Saturn or N64 but it would be only for a niche audience.
    This is actually what I think SHOULDN'T happen. In the case of the DSi and New 3DS, Nintendo released the same hardware and released games that benefited from this hardware to attract more sales. This is just a slap in the face to the millions and millions of fans who purchased your earlier revision. Want to play Xenoblade Chronicles on your 3DS, that'll be $180 for a NEW 3DS on top of the cost of the game. Then what happens afterwards? Nintendo doesn't release another game that is New 3DS compatible, so not only does Nintendo screw the original owners of the console, they screw the ones that upgrade thinking that Nintendo will continue to take advantage of this hardware with new games.

The N64 is okay since it's just an add on that increases ram to use additional options, make the graphical textures a bit better, or run better in general. It's a fairly cheap add on though, not a $180 purchase.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-29-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This is actually what I think SHOULDN'T happen. In the case of the DSi and New 3DS, Nintendo released the same hardware and released games that benefited from this hardware to attract more sales. This is just a slap in the face to the millions and millions of fans who purchased your earlier revision. Want to play Xenoblade Chronicles on your 3DS, that'll be $180 for a NEW 3DS on top of the cost of the game. Then what happens afterwards? Nintendo doesn't release another game that is New 3DS compatible, so not only does Nintendo screw the original owners of the console, they screw the ones that upgrade thinking that Nintendo will continue to take advantage of this hardware with new games.

The N64 is okay since it's just an add on that increases ram to use additional options, make the graphical textures a bit better, or run better in general. It's a fairly cheap add on though, not a $180 purchase.
    Oh it gets worse now with the latest release on the New3DS as it makes the issue damned glaring. I have 3 words for you Hyrule Warriors Legends.
    100% of the reviews online if they're not just Nintendo boolickers with blinders will say that they lied marketing it as a 3DS game when it should have only been labeled for New3DS. It's almost non-functional on the older hardware. Graphics shudder, framerate is awful, drop out, other sketchy problems. On the N3DS though it's like watching the WiiU title just not in HD more or less and with the same if not better fluidity too. We don't need people going HMM we could halfass the quality on the PS4 yet in the 4.1 systems it will be smooth as glass. If I ended up on the bad end of that I'd be furious and be finished with the game maker for wasting my non-refundable purchase and I'd stop buying future PS4 games until any reviews came out not trusting them to pull that crap again.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Difference is that I believe the N3DS actually does run things a lot better and can do stuff the regular one can't.

Yeah when I read this story I could only think about how this is going to be the last traditional console gen. Wouldn't surprise me if in the future consoles just go full on customizable PC.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I don't think it's going to be a complete hand changer. I think it'll be like what some one already mentioned with hdmi on the 360.

This time though it's going to be hdmi 2.0 and a bit more umpf to play games upscaled to 4k since the existing APU can't handle it. I doubt it is going to change how any of the existing games play or give any one an advantage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Difference is that I believe the N3DS actually does run things a lot better and can do stuff the regular one can't.

Yeah when I read this story I could only think about how this is going to be the last traditional console gen. Wouldn't surprise me if in the future consoles just go full on customizable PC.
    All I have to say to that is, good luck with it, and I actually kind of mean it. I'd rather them perhaps develop a software suite that'll strap into Windows, Mac-OS and even Linux where if you have a badass enough PC you can run the console stuff, and then (like MS already) sell a controller that works on those computers via the USB or bluetooth ports I'd be up for that. Save me some damned room and I could just maintain a damned nice computer in the end. I know I'm talking stand alone console genocide, but they're doing it anyway this last gen since the 2 big fish basically made closed PC environments which have like 90% compatible parts/capabilities between the two which is why they run so much and so fairly similarly, just that the PS4 does it a bit more and better which is why it can edge out the One slightly and can get the odd exclusive or their own goodies which outshine it while MS can shovel over stuff to PC already in better form like Titanfall.