Thread: 2 unlisted carts. One 2600 one NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default 2 unlisted carts. One 2600 one NES

As you all do I am sure the first thing I did when I got my guide was to look up what was said about my rarest games.

I didn't find anything on Atlantis 2 for 2600.

Also I have a AGCI version of Wally Bear for NES. The AGCI Wally Bear was mentioned as possibly existing under the AVE description. It has a completely different label and I'd be happy to email you a pic if you need it.

Adam

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, I wasn't sure where to put the AGCI Wally Bear, and kind of ended up deciding that it was more or less a prototype of a released game and shouldn't be included in the prototypes section. It's most definitely a prototype, as only one is known to exist (found in a used game store very near AGCI's office), and that one cart contains an EPROM. I suppose it would make sense to have it in the prototype section, being that its cart design and label are a completely different company's. However, the game is byte-for-byte idential to the released version, so...blah.

Yeah, I think it should be in the prototypes section too. My fault, sorry.

And don't worry, I don't need a pic. It used to be mine, ya know!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I wasn't aware of Atlantis 2 until after the book went to the publisher. Same goes for that McDonald's prototype and a score of CGE releases. So they're all part of the database but not the book.

Still hoping to get that addendum online soon, but I'm waiting on some input from a few sluggish individuals

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another addition to in the NES "non-cartridge items" is the NES "joystick test box" that was used with the Joystick Test Cartridge.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I don't know if I'd consider it a prototype for the following reasons.

It has a production label (I can't think of many NES that do)
    It is bit for bit the same as released.
    Lots of production unlicensed games can be found with eproms.

Ok you found it near the HQ but if they did a limited run isn't it safe to say thats also where you would be likely to find a production copy if they only produced a small number?

I dunno I am not a huge NES collector so I leave this up to the NES guys.

However, I did just score a SE so I am only 1 panesian away from a complete US NES collection. Thats not bad for an atari collector.

Adam

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    However, I did just score a SE so I am only 1 panesian away from a complete US NES collection. Thats not bad for an atari collector.

Adam
    Maybe it's time to re-evaluate what kind of collector you really are?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, still, it's the only AGCI Wally Bear to ever have been found. Ever. Since you're not an "NES guy" you probably don't know the story, but Wally Bear was developed by AGCI, who planned to release the game on their own. I'm guessing that prototype was made up around this time. However, they ended up selling the game to AVE before they published it themselves (and this is more or less documented). AGCI did not release it.

However...there are some other weird situations. For instance, I know of at least two copies of a Color Dreams version of Chiller. Color Dreams did NOT release Chiller, AGCI did. The Color Dreams dudes are in good enough contact too, so it's basically verified that they didn't release the game. Should these be counted as well?

...if it's up to me, Joe, I'd say yes. I'll write 'em up whenever you need me to input into the new format.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I figured that I would bring this topic up since it applies to the new guide.

Chiller blue cart was actually made by AGCI, before they went by that name they used a name called Share Data, they used color dreams carts for their games like Bunch games did. Before they released their games they decided to manufacture their own game carts, hence the light gray cart.

I am not sure if the Share Data Chiller was distributed or not, we need to do some research on this game as it does belong in the guide. We need to figure out wether it belongs in the proto section or the us game releases as a R10 game. There is actually a pic of it on the web somewhere. Maybe we could email the web host and see if he knows if it's a proto or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    We need to figure out wether it belongs in the proto section or the us game releases as a R10 game.
    Yes you do, and you should err on the side of caution. Are you going to list every cartridge anomaly that comes by as an official US release R10? If so, you have to ask yourself this question: Is there a documented case of a box (and usually a manual too) being found? If not, it is very difficult to say a game was released and distributed.

Now, I'm not saying that a confirmed box guarantees that a game was distributed (see Cheetahmen II). What I am saying is that, using the Share Data Chiller as an example, there is no substantial evidence (box or otherwise) to suggest it was distributed. As such, it should be placed in the proto section until such time as it can be confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt.

-I know it's a 4 year old thread, but the post quoted is recent :P
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"