Thread: National Videogame Museum on Youtube

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default National Videogame Museum on Youtube

This is a video (YouTube channel of the 'Gaming Historian', a channel I really like) about the newly founded National Videogame Museum in Frisco, Texas. This Museum needs certainly no introduction on Digital Press since it was founded by Joe Santulli, John Hardie and Sean Kelly.

Great interview with Joe Santulli and nice footage of the museum.

Damn, this looks tempting. I might go there sooner as intended. Great job, guys, and I really loved the expansion plans for the future. It's all about the preservation of videogames, and this is the very important first step. Congrats, I tip my hat!

LINK:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le_aHIOZZNQ
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched some more videos about the NVM and the impressions and pics are just mouthwatering. The breadth and detail of the items and some rarities of the exposition is just amazing. Joe Santulli, John Hardie and Sean Kelly with their enthusiasm for games made some very big pioneering steps.

This is a very first important step to deal with the history of videogames in a serious manner. Historical research is in its infant phase, and I hope the NVM will provide in the future the all-around basis (archiving not only games but also important documents) for historical research. Something so playful, entertaining, economically and sociologically important as videogames deserve to be treated like other important topics in history.

Here are some great impressions and footage of the NVM:

Game Away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xr-5aTuWO0

That Nerd Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG48nQosUac

DarkHoleGames: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbwcQEuzTeU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, that's cracked it. The camel's back is broken. I'm going to have to go at some point next week. I've been waiting for the throngs of visitors to go away, and now I have to stop putting it due to my dislike of crowds and check the place out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I came back from the museum a little while ago, and I have to say I really liked it. It's smaller than I thought it was, but they had more stuff than I had seen others take photographs of. Like the electronic handheld games of the '70s and '80s. Or all the buttons from various '80s games, patches, and arcade themed board games (there was a Wizard of Wor boardgame? I want one!). I didn't stay that long because I hadn't eaten all day, but I could have stayed in the arcade for a while.

One disappointing thing I found was the interactive display (run off gigantic SNES controllers) with information about all the game consoles made, they had generic placeholder graphics for some devices that they have in displays, like the Tapwave Zodiac and the Gizmondo. Somebody needs to pop open one of those cases, snap a quick photo, and add it into the presentation software.

There was a seriously bored teenager sitting at different stations and checking his phone every three seconds, apparently he works there. If working means wandering around just to let people know they can't smash open cases and steal that prototype N64 cartridge of Jet Set Radio very easily. This kid is surrounded by the history of video games, and he couldn't be more bored. Nice work if you can get it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

looking forward to the video love history! leonard herman of gaming history book fame recently visited and seemed to have mostly good things to say about the place! would love to visit