Thread: Game of the Day 4/20/2016: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (NES)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Game of the Day 4/20/2016: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (NES)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_211056.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	8932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_212018.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	8933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_212606.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	8934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_213433.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	8935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_214625.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	8936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_222807.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	8937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_224207.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	8938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160419_224257.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	8939

Tonight I wanted to take some time to talk about one of my wife's all-time favorite games, Seta's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. It's a 2D platformer in which you control the titular Tom (and his buddy Huck in alternating 2 player mode) in his quest that follows Mark Twain's novel to the letter, from the time he pelted all those monkeys with rocks to the bitter end when he fought Injun Joe who fired arrows from atop his pet dinosaur, just like everyone remembers. To my wife this was a cute game she played as a kid with a character she knew. To me, it's a pretty damn good Wonder Boy/Adventure Island clone.

With momentum-based controls that are reminiscent of Hudson/Westone's classic to the arcing weapon (Tom chucks rocks here, though he can get a slingshot temporarily) to the big, cartoony sprites, Tom Sawyer follows the template pretty friggin' closely at a glance. It does take some nice steps to differentiate itself, though, and not just thematically. For starters, no life bar, one hit is all you get. Secondly, instead of points and a timer, your score is simply the fastest time you can complete each stage. Instead of fruit elongating your time/health, you can pick up "T" icons, and collecting 20 gives you a bonus life, but accidentally grabbing a skull takes away 10. Perhaps most importantly, though, Tom Sawyer offers up a pair of shooter segments.

First, a vertically scrolling second stage sees Tom on his raft, dodging whirlpools and, um, dolphins? ...while throwing rocks at logs, angry fish, frogs, and the odd injun on his way to fight off a giant gator. Stage 5 starts off as a platformer, but ends with a horizontally scrolling shooter segment where Tom must ride a cloud and shoot down a blimp. Total accuracy to the source material! Really, though, both of these areas work rather well, although I would have preferred that Tom wouldn't turn around when I press back during the horizontal piece. These add a nice variety that keeps the game feeling fresh through its six stages, which in their own right all house unique enemies and hazards. The game will not get stale on a single playthrough.

What it does wrong, though, is a put out a few common design flaws of the time. It does offer unlimited continues, and continuing restarts the stage you're on from the beginning instead of any checkpoints. This is actually really fair as a way to establish challenge without being brutally difficult, as in the last two stages, it really ramps up on that front. Crazy new hazards, longer stages, and some blind jumps in the last stage are sure to feel a little unfair the first several times you encounter them. The bosses are ridiculously easy, taking only a few hits to take down, almost as if they felt bad for how nasty a couple of stages get before you reach them. Still, these flaws are hardly game breaking, and a little patience will see you through to a fun game if you dig the classic Wonder Boy style.

The graphics are mostly pedestrian, but the boss sprites are huge and beautiful while a bit lacking in animation, and the music is mediocre. I turned it down pretty low while replaying it tonight and watched a movie on an adjacent TV while playing, as it sees fit to butcher a few classical pieces in parts. Not grating, but nothing I really want to turn up and hear so I can hum it in my head later.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a quality platformer to me and a childhood treasure to my wife. I chose it today because I wanted to think about something a little more meaningful than the average game to me, as this is the 100th consecutive game of the day post, starting back on January 11th, and she puts up with me typing these up on my phone while sitting in bed next to her half of the time. I'll be doing it again tomorrow, but I just want to thank everyone who takes the time to respond or read these things. It's not my intent to be any kind of professional reviewer or anything. I have no channel or website to promote, and I don't post anywhere else, but for years before I joined DP, if I got sick one day or had insomnia, reading the "Post your recent imports" thread gave me a smile, and I just want to try and keep the conversation going to a community I've enjoyed since before being a part of it. My goal here is to try and bring up games that aren't the same old few that are the subject of every review, video, or discussion and hopefully keep starting some new conversations and getting to know folks here better. Thanks again, and if there's anything anyone would like to see going forward, be it a format suggestion, system, genre, or specific game, feel free to post or PM. I try to take the time and play each of these games to completion for each post or at least pretty far so I can snap a few pictures with my phone of the TV screen that really represent the game. Anyway, yeah. Thanks for having me.

Played it?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-20-2016 at 01:13 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

This was always one of those "was interested but never got my hands on" kinda games. Also apparently in Japan there was a different Tom Sawyer game, by Square.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't say Wonder Boy/Adventure Island ever crossed my mind while playing The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but I can see how it has some similarities. To be honest, it's a mediocre platformer to me, but it's easy enough that it's worth blowing through, if only to see another one of Japan's weird takes on Western stories. Actually, when I first tried it out, not really putting in any effort, I thought it seemed like it could be a frustrating game, but once I set my mind to trying to beat it, I was surprised that I just breezed through the whole thing in one sitting. That raft stage destroyed my thumb, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also apparently in Japan there was a different Tom Sawyer game, by Square.
    A quite controversial one at that, thanks to its depiction of Jim. Let's just say the game's not gonna be suggested for the "games starring positive portrayals of black people" topic anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a lurker for many years before I signed up here, then I was active for a while. Now I'm mainly back to being a lurker, but I do like reading your game of the days!

I was like Aussie was when he first tried the game. I remember thinking it was hard or didn't play quite right, so I didn't give it much time, but now it looks like one of those games I'll have give it another shot with a new perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I was a lurker for many years before I signed up here, then I was active for a while. Now I'm mainly back to being a lurker, but I do like reading your game of the days!

I was like Aussie was when he first tried the game. I remember thinking it was hard or didn't play quite right, so I didn't give it much time, but now it looks like one of those games I'll have give it another shot with a new perspective.
    Thanks! Tom Sawyer is a fun little game. It's nothing mind blowing, but it can make for a fun afternoon. My wife loves it to death. There is a huge spike in difficulty in the cloud stage, but the rest is pretty manageable.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I do look at that Octopus and wonder why Tom Sawyer is fighting something that looks like its from Megaman...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Can you unlock 'Nigger Jim' as a playable character, or what? Does he even make an appearence in the game? I'd be interested to see how they dealt with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Can you unlock 'Nigger Jim' as a playable character, or what? Does he even make an appearence in the game? I'd be interested to see how they dealt with that.
    Nope. They just skirted the issue all together. Now, in Square's Tom Sawyer that a couple of folks mentioned, he is represented as one of the more notorious stereotypes in gaming history. If you haven't seen that, I have a cart and can post a few pics. It's pretty goofy, and maybe the biggest lips ever put on a purported human in a video game.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-24-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Is it Megadrive DJBoy level offensive? I love that sort of shit. ^_^

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Whoa, I just checked out the Square game. Some of the outdoor sections dramatically resemble Friday the 13th!

I played The Adventures of Tom Sawyer back in the day and enjoyed it. A quick, easy win (at least with unlimited continues), but a fun game with some nice boss sprites. I think I played through it again in emulation a while back, but I can't recall for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Is it Megadrive DJBoy level offensive? I love that sort of shit. ^_^
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160424_195806.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	8973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160424_200150.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	8974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160424_200202.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	8975

Yeah. I'd say it crosses at least as many lines as DJ Boy could imagine. Notice how Tom's portrait appears to be nervously looking down toward ol' Jim and Amy is looking at him and laughing, the little racist minx.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-24-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

WOW! JUST WOW! That's fucking HILARIOUS! WTF!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

WOW! JUST WOW! That's fucking HILARIOUS! WTF!?
    Heheh... I like to think that somewhere in Japan it's part of a video game developer's diversity training video that people pretend not to laugh at, with the character designer giving a talk about lessons in cultural understanding.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-25-2016 at 01:56 AM.