Thread: GOTD 5/13/2016: The Super Spy (Neo Geo)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 5/13/2016: The Super Spy (Neo Geo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_233230.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	9155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_233411(0).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	9156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_233451.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	9157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_233623.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	9158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_234057.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	9159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_234553.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	9160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160512_235802.jpg 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	9161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160513_001009.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	9162

The Super Spy for Neo Geo is deceptive in its presentation. I'll always remember the first time I played it. It was in a four slot Neo Geo in the lobby of the old Fenton, Missouri Wal-Mart. I had a quarter in my pocket earmarked for a Sam's Choice grape soda when I saw it, and watched as it cycled through its games... Super Spy, Fatal Fury, Sengoku, and Samurai Shodown. Being super into beat 'em ups, I wanted to play Sengoku, so I plunked my quarter in, blissfully unaware of how to change games... and The Super Spy started up. It looked cool, kind of like Wolfenstein, which my buddy Tim was always going on about, so I figured I was going to be playing this first person shooter... and then I couldn't figure out how to move, got the shit kicked out of me, and didn't touch it again for a decade.

I picked it up for my AES on a snowy, amazing day I'll probably write in the random memories thread someday, alongside a copy of Ninja Combat. Finding AES games in the wild is hardly a common occurrence for me, so I tended to grab anything I ran across. At this time, in the house I was renting the Neo Geo had its own bedroom hooked up to a Sony monitor (actually, it's still hooked up to the same one in my basement now), so we went to the Neo Geo room and tried them out. At this time, ready for what I was doing thanks to its crudely translated manual, I started to play what is actually a cross between a beat 'em up and Punch Out!... and it was considerably more playable.

Roy Heart (your character) does have a first person perspective, but his movement takes place mostly along horizontal planes, strafing left and right. Occasionally, like in a belt-scrolling beat 'em up, invisible walls restrict your progress, and you must fight off a group of terrorist thugs. Clear them, and you get to move on. Your goal is to search through the two buldings in order to defeat the terrorists and save the city. You can throw various punches and kicks, duck, block, brandish a knife, and shoot with a gun with sparse ammo. The knife begins to rust and become less effective as you use it, and the gun has only ten shots to begin with, though it can be reloaded or upgraded to an uzi by various rescued hostages, and you can pistol whip with it once it's emptied. Enemies only approach the forefront one at a time, though, and use telegraphed attack patterns. This is where the Punch Out! style play really takes shape, as the game becomes one of reflexes, focusing on evasion and counter-punching as opposed to fps tactics. Played correctly, the combat becomes fun and addictive, and you start to look forward to new enemy types to test your skills. You also gain experience and level up as you go, which makes you more effective as well.

As you explore, you'll enter rooms and elevators, giving each building kind of an open world feel to explore, find maps, weapons, and intel, and occasional mini-boss fights with crazed scientist with screwdrivers or angry thugs with guns or tasers. There are elevators in which you can go up and down, and you must find hostages and fight your way to the top to win. Sometimes, if you forget to duck when you see them, surveillance cameras will catch you, triggering some tough confrontations, and some floors are pretty maze-like.

The Super Spy is a tad long for what it is, and it's certainly tough. I can't clear it on one credit yet, but I can get about 3/4 of the way through the second building on one life on a good run. If you go into it to play something like a Punch Out! adventure, you'll find a nice game with fitting sound and music, awesome giant, scaling sprites, and truly fun battle mechanics. If you're expecting an FPS, though, you're not going to be happy.

Played this one?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-13-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker
    Finding AES games in the wild is hardly a common occurrence for me, so I tended to grab anything I ran across.
    You find Neo•Geo games in the wild? I only have ever seen them at game conventions or the occasional single cart in a game store, priced far too high. I've heard stories, magical stories, about people finding them at thrift stores or flea markets (or a Half-Price Books store on one occasion) but its always third-hand stories so who knows how true they are. I actually own a Neo•Geo CD game, a King of Fighters title, bought at a closing game store for $25 just on the hope that I'd find a console in the wild to play it on eventually. It still hasn't happened. Sigh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That's the way Neo Geo was for me for a long time... basically a myth that somebody's friend's friend had one. I actually found my system in the wild, but it wasn't some dirt cheap thrift find. Back in 2003 I paid $250 for the system with Baseball Stars, Sengoku, and Fatal Fury with two original joysticks. I have a little over 30 games at this point for AES (I have an MVS cabinet, too, but that's a whole different story), all complete in box, and I found 18 in the wild, all locally in the St Louis area.

The rest were either ebay or this one guy, Ryan, who used to run a website called japangamesnow. He lived in St Louis, and was the kingpin of Neo Geo stuff. Very particular about condition. I e-mailed him, and he's a super nice guy, and he'd meet up with me at a local mall and sell me games I requested. I tried to make it worth his time since he was going out of his way to save me shipping, and I'd buy a couple at a time. I remember once buying copies of Super Baseball 2020 and Top Hunter from him, and another guy was there to get a loose Fatal Fury Special for MVS for ten bucks. Ryan and I talked for awhile afterward, and he thanked me for making it worth his while, as driving out to sell a $10 MVS cart wasn't really cool. He always cut me a good deal, and it was funny... if you saw a few guys waiting around outside of Babbage's in Crestwood Mall looking like we were there to buy weed or something, we were actually buying Neo Geo games.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Fun fact: This is apparently the first game to feature Geese Howard, who went on to become a recurring Fatal Fury villain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Fun fact: This is apparently the first game to feature Geese Howard, who went on to become a recurring Fatal Fury villain.
    Well... there are characters named Geese and King, but King is definitely not the Art of Fighting character, and the in-game Geese doesn't look much like Geese Howard. Back story-wise, Geese was part of the police at this time, not a terrorist affiliated with Zolge King, so I tend to believe that it's a case of SNK re-using names as they do. I like the idea of it being a tie-in, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160513_135411.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	9164
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-13-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is this something I really should look out for for my new arcade machine? I recall it being like another game, or was that Crossed Swords (but w/guns and fists in this case)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Is this something I really should look out for for my new arcade machine? I recall it being like another game, or was that Crossed Swords (but w/guns and fists in this case)?
    It has a lot in common with Crossed Swords.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A buddy of mine helped me get a loose Super Spy AES cartridge. So far I'd say it's definitely a unique game, one of those memorable experimental games from the Neo's early years. It may not be the most polished or varied games, but I'd say it's worth playing just to see the Neo Geo pull off a Punch-Out!! adventure game.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have this in my MVS collection. It's fun for a little while but gets too repetitive after a while. I always clear the first building but often lose interest before finishing the whole mission.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Well... there are characters named Geese and King, but King is definitely not the Art of Fighting character, and the in-game Geese doesn't look much like Geese Howard. Back story-wise, Geese was part of the police at this time, not a terrorist affiliated with Zolge King, so I tend to believe that it's a case of SNK re-using names as they do. I like the idea of it being a tie-in, though.
    Huh.... sites I had read showed an in-game image and I thought "that looks like Geese to me."

Also, Geese WAS with the police, but even so he had underworld connections--his police days are when he assinated Jeff Bogard after all.

Fun fact about that, by the way: Apparently the person he selected to assassinate Jeff was Ryo Sakazaki's father Takuma, and Takuma's refusal to do so is what set off the events of the first Art of Fighting game. (This may sound confusing at first since Ryo and Terry seem the same age in the King of Fighters games, but that's because the KOF series is its own canon. In the original AOF/FF timeline, the AOF trilogy happened in the 70s or 80s while the FF games happened in the 90s). So at the very least, Geese knew Mr. Big.

.... And I know way too much about fighting games whose plots are, by nature, excuse plots.

Damn I need to fill out my Neo-Geo collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Huh.... sites I had read showed an in-game image and I thought "that looks like Geese to me."

Also, Geese WAS with the police, but even so he had underworld connections--his police days are when he assinated Jeff Bogard after all.

Fun fact about that, by the way: Apparently the person he selected to assassinate Jeff was Ryo Sakazaki's father Takuma, and Takuma's refusal to do so is what set off the events of the first Art of Fighting game. (This may sound confusing at first since Ryo and Terry seem the same age in the King of Fighters games, but that's because the KOF series is its own canon. In the original AOF/FF timeline, the AOF trilogy happened in the 70s or 80s while the FF games happened in the 90s). So at the very least, Geese knew Mr. Big.

.... And I know way too much about fighting games whose plots are, by nature, excuse plots.

Damn I need to fill out my Neo-Geo collection.
    Now, that's stuff I've also heard and read about Mr Karate/Geese/Mr Big and all. Ryo and Robert Garcia are supposed to be quite a bit older than the Bogard boys, and both series take place at different times in Southtown. I love the little universe SNK created around Southtown and Geese's rise and fall.

But, as far as Super Spy goes, its in-game Geese has brown hair and is killed by Roy Heart. I'd love it if it had been the same Geese, and Roy was a hidden character in Fatal Fury or KOF somewhere. That would be a cool tie-in running a few layers deep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to SNK Wikia, Art of Fighting 1 takes place in 1979. Fatal Fury 1 depends on the region of the Neo Geo system, but it's usually 1991, same year the game was released.

... Actually I don't remember where I read about AOF1, but the ending of Fatal Fury 1 states the year it takes place.

Come join us on Micro-64