For some reason, my six-button controller for my MegaDrive doesn't like certain games (or the games don't like them). I know of the usual suspects (Forgotten Worlds is the most famous one. Surprisingly, my copy plays fine even without holding the Mode button down), and have no issues with those (Golden Axe II, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.). But it's three games in particular that don't play nice with my 6-button.

Alien 3
Mortal Kombat
William's Arcade Greatest Hits

Alien 3 simply doesn't not want to respond, even if I hold the Mode button down. Mortal Kombat has serious response issues (I have to press REALLY hard on the buttons), but works fine if I hold Mode to put it into 3-button mode. William's Arcade is similar to Mortal Kombat's situation.

I've tried all three of my official Sega 6-button controllers (MK-1653, MK-1470 Majesco, and MK-1470 TecToy), disconnected the official extension cord and tried with all three as well. Even went so far as to unplug the 32X, then tried the previous six combinations, and these three games are still giving me issues. I do no understand at all. Hell, I had no issues with Mortal Kombat until very recently. Alien 3 has been a problem for several months now. I remember playing Alien 3 YEARS ago with my 6-button and it working fine.

I have absolutely no isses with a standard 3-button controller. It's just the 6-button.

My MegaDrive is a USA Model 2 VA3 board, 3/4 plate.

I haven't tested it on my USA VA5 Model 1 as it is packed away (and I don't have a SCART cable for it at the moment).