Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much GOTD threads, and they all die quickly, confusing to see new topics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Notable Observation 1:
    CeleryStalker is the only working defibrillator in this place.

Notable Observation 2:
    This thread complaining about said daily posts has had more responses and activity than all but one GOTD post in the last month. Sometimes more than three or four GOTD combined. So it's clear people like it, but not enough to actually contribute or begin discussions on the GOTD Pages.

This makes it feel as if CeleryStalker's contributions are wasted here.

Course of Action:
    I think CS should set-up his own site, hell wordpress.com would make it easy to have GameofTheDay.com - I think moving to his own site, away from the confines of a locked, dilapidated prison (yes, Registration is still closed) would bring more appreciation for his work. Not to mention the connected Social Media aspects of a WP site would get it out to more people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with the CoA above, just paste it here for the locked in members until such time the board again will inevitably glitch and then swallow itself whole.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I like the GOTD topics and am happy with them as they are, but Jesus Christ, could you possibly be more of a troll? I guess we can at least be glad that you just barely stopped short of calling him the F slur.
    Your fascination with me is unhealthy. Let's come up with a new word, young lady. The "T" word is so played out and doesn't fit here. Jesus has nothing to do with it, leave his name out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    He got his panties bunched up over something someone said on the internet... again!
    Co-signer, cheerleader, or alt account. Which one is it? None of them are anything to be proud of.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 06-01-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has been getting slower as more people move on for various reasons. There's still reasons to post here but we simply don't have the traffic or new blood coming in at a steady pace so I've already resigned myself to the day when it's finally gone.

There have been some good, great and ugly times on here. Never forget bio force ape 4 lyfe

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Registration is REALLY still closed? Just wow! The administrative butt hurt is real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And also MIA for nearly a month now too, and the other admin PapaStu hasn't been back almost as long (5 days sooner.) This is effectively the wild west here with no sheriff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought he'd come back, but his sole visit after his issues seems to have been a fluke.

At this point I imagine we're gone the moment that there's a technical issue that knocks us offline or at best, when the next hosting payment is due.

I'll be at AtariAge when this place disappears, not that anyone cares where to find me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah and I'm over at racketboy and neo-geo forums too. Unless the admins decide to come back and unlock the door, do something if possible to stave off or repair the damage it's just borrowed time now.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

With all the suggestions I've had to back up these topics, anybody have a suggestion for a simple way to do so aside from highlight, copy, paste and saving my photo files? That's not horrific, but I was just curious if anybody knew some lightning fast option. I doubt I'll do anything with them, but it might be fun to be able to revisit later if the site does go down one day.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    With all the suggestions I've had to back up these topics, anybody have a suggestion for a simple way to do so aside from highlight, copy, paste and saving my photo files? That's not horrific, but I was just curious if anybody knew some lightning fast option. I doubt I'll do anything with them, but it might be fun to be able to revisit later if the site does go down one day.
    Just put em up on a blog, dude. If a retard like me can figure out how to get a blog started, anyone can. They're free and user-friendly. You can even keep doing them from your phone.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Eh, I don't really want to do a blog. Whole point is to have conversation about the games. I doubt I'd keep up with it if it's just me writing to be read.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    That is weird. Seems like that whole chameleon thing caused mad drama, everywhere. For something that never existed?
    From what I remember there were a bunch of people here including mods that were Mike Kennedy apologists, basically overlooking any questionable action he took with his campaign and disliking any post sharing doubt about the project or questioning his business decisions. With how the project ended it's pretty clear the doubters had the right instinct to question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    This thread complaining about said daily posts has had more responses and activity than all but one GOTD post in the last month. Sometimes more than three or four GOTD combined. So it's clear people like it, but not enough to actually contribute or begin discussions on the GOTD Pages.

This makes it feel as if CeleryStalker's contributions are wasted here.
    It's a bit hard to contribute to discussions on games that I've never played, and I'm pretty sure most people here also haven't played them. They're just too obscure. I like reading about them as I'm mostly learning about new games that I haven't heard about previously, but I have little to contribute to those threads.

Eh, I don't really want to do a blog. Whole point is to have conversation about the games. I doubt I'd keep up with it if it's just me writing to be read.
    Blogs have comment sections, it's about the same participation that the threads here generate. People comment about what you wrote, then the threads usually die.

I do like the threads as they're interesting to read, but they still feel like artificial activity for the forum. Forced in a way. Sometimes a dying forum should just be left to die, just sign the DNR.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blogs have comment sections you can moderate yourself. Plenty of discussion can be had. You could always put a link back to here. Just a suggestion. Would you just stop doing them if this place poofs?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

there should be a print to file option in any browser.

as an example in internut exploder when you go to print you'll see an option called:

Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    -or-
    Microsoft Print to PDF

pick your poison because they both do the same thing and that's basically make an "image" back up of the page
    I say "image" because its kinda half breed image text thing going on. the text is still selectable and some times it copies some of the extra stuff but the important parts will be there.

that way you can get responses too.

any way I have an Atari age account that I haven't used in a while and a Nintendo age one I used more recently for my NES tv registry
    same name on both I believe.

I was considering racket boy because of the technical stuff and possibly assembler so if you see the same name pop up you'll know its me

speaking of backing up I should backup that minor mod to use component PS2 cables as sync on green RGB cables for the PSX

edit:

I wonder if some one would be willing to take over the forums.
    some of these peeps that are big on you tube have been long time members of this place maybe they want to save and convert the content for their own usage.
    Pat the NES Punk and LGR both have accounts here and they are quite old. but it might be another outlet for their fans plus they are on the same wavelength as a lot of us if you like them or not
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 06-02-2016 at 06:18 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I don't post a lot here myself, but I do come on to read the game of the day posts. I don't really have much to add to some of those posts, because he usually covers the game pretty well.

It's funny because I like to go to hardcore gaming 101 to see if there are any new articles to read. I find that the game of the day posts are a great alternative when there isn't a new post on HG101.

I've been coming to this site for a long time and it's really sad to see that it isn't thriving like it once was. I'll keep coming back here, at the very least to read the topics, until the site no longer works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with that, except if you setup the right 'site' you can have a full fledged comments section below that allows logins from various servies (G+, facebook etc) like discus does. It would be no different than here, other than you'll have total control and can setup a far more appealing look and color setup for it too.

Just do it, then copy/paste a link here with a teaser sentence and a picture to drive the traffic away from this place before it dies and the readers are lost.

--mailman-- agreed on that post entirely, this is like a micro hg101 setup

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with others, I enjoy reading the game of the day threads as well even though I usually do not respond. I definitely appreciate the efford CeleryStalker is putting in to keep this place going.

I would hate for this place to go under, I spend most of time I'm no here reading old topics, so much great information I would hate to see lost. I think many forum members have unfortunately grew out this hobby, whether due to retro prices or just life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are Wordpress plugins for forums (http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/5-...for-wordpress/). All you would have to do it make the post blog, and then link it to the forum for discussion. You can use the Jetpack Plug-In to have it post the blog article to social media.

Moving Game-Rave to a WP site with the proper plug-ins was the best thing I ever did. The only reason I never instituted a forum was because I don't have the time to keep up with one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

More GOTD please. Best reason to come here.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) armonigann's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I agree with OP. I stopped coming to this section due to the GOTDs .. though they are cool it clutters the hell out of the section. Just my take.
    Im looking for Bonk for the NES. No need to pm me though, unless you would accept bits of string for tender.