Thread: GOTD 6/2/2016: Heavenly Guardian (PS2)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 6/2/2016: Heavenly Guardian (PS2)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_014611.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	9339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_013613.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	9340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_013723.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	9341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_010736.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	9342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_011220.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	9343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_010652.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	9344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_012107.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	9345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160602_012812.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	9346

Heavenly Guardian was a late release for the PS2 that was a failed attempt at revitalizing Taito/Natsume's Kiki Kai Kai/Pocky & Rocky franchise. As they were unable to get approval for their product, Starfish completed the project, and converted it to be about a snow goddess named Saiyuki. Like its inspiration, it is an overhead run 'n gun with minor exploration elements. It lacks the frenetic action of Pocky & Rocky, instead choosing to play up the searching for secrets aspect for a slower, more methodical expeeience that ends up feeling a little closer to Namco's Legend of the Valkyrie.

Saiyuki by default hurls bolts of ice at her enemies, but can also cast some basic spells and use an evasion maneuver. Her shot can be changed to different types such as a wide shot that spreads, rapid fire, bomb shot that has a small explosion radius and deals strong damage, and a homing shot. Each of those can be powered up by collecting additional crystals of the same type, but you can lose your crystals by dying, having them stolen by a monkey, or changing colors. Technically you keep your crystals when you switch colors, but you'll change weapons to whatever you just grabbed. You have a snowstorm spell that can take out enemies quickly and freeze projectiles, and in single player, a spell that causes your snow bunny familiar to dance about as a shield and damage whatever he touches. These are powered by use of snowballs, which are dropped by most enemies.

The exploration really is what they hung their hat on in this one, as each stage has a group of snow boys hidden throughout the level. These are found by casting your snowstorm in areas with snowfall, and unlock extras like boss rush mode and stage select mode. There are also many hidden items and chests in each stage found by searching the suspicious areas. These include not just extra lives and restoratives, but also snowflakes, which extend your life bar when you collect three as well. Most are pretty obvious, but there are some well-hidden ones as well.

There is also a scoring system should you be interested in playing for score, and it centers around combos created by damaging multiple foes at once, usually with your snowstorm spell, and end of level bonuses. These come from lives lost, secrets found, snowballs left, and combos performed. It's interesting as a side note, but the game is so long that its hard tokeep it a focus. In two player mode, there is a competitive component in which the player who has collected the most snowball is the snow queen.

The music is pretty forgettable, but the graphics look okay if a little cheap. The bosses are big and the backgrounds fairly detailed, but the graphics have a pre-drawn, almost flash-like quality at times, and would probably benefit from having a lower-res, more pixelated look for the style of game. Play is slower than the games that inspired it, and while it can be pretty fun, the levels are a bit too long, and there are too many at that length, especially without the ability to save between levels, which should have been done. I do have fun with it, but I like the boss rush better than the main game. Also, there isa basically identical Wii version.

Played it?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The score display suggests that this game has simultaneous cooperative 2P support? If so I'll have to show this to my girlfriend as we're always looking for games we can play together as a team. Also, the graphics remind me of Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn. I like 2D games on the more powerful consoles because they have more than enough power to deliver solid visuals. These screenshots made me think it's a Saturn game haha.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The dying days of the PS2 were really fun, with all the weird, niche games getting localized as budget titles. Sony surely would've not given the okay on Heavenly Guardian earlier on. I remember picking this up at release, and the MSRP was, what, like 15 or 20 bucks? Never played it super extensively, but it's fun. But, yeah, the lack of saves puts me off to getting particularly invested in it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have this game on PS2 and the Wii. It is the same game on the Wii, right? Anyway, I've never gotten to it yet after all this time. I mean, I have hundreds of games I haven't gotten to, but this one I actually planned on playing pretty quickly after acquiring it. It was a budget title with a retro look and a give away price tag. I honestly had no idea what the game played like, and wouldn't have guessed what you described. But then that's why I like these GOTD topics.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 06-02-2016 at 03:54 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, it was a cheap one. I paid about $20 brand new when it came out. I love the end days of console lifespans.

FoxNtd-yeah, it does support two player co-op.

Emperor Megas-yep, the Wii game is exactly the same!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I have this game on PS2 and the Wii. It is the same game on the Wii, right? Anyway, I've never gotten to it yet after all this time. I mean, I have hundreds of games I haven't gotten to, but this one I actually planned on playing pretty quickly after acquiring it. It was a budget title with retro look and a give away price tag. I honestly had no idea what the game played like, and wouldn't have guessed what you described. But then that's why I like these GOTD topics.
    I've had the Wii version for a while, but didn't even know there was a PS2 release until a few weeks ago when I saw a really beat up copy in my local game shop. I haven't played it yet, because my backlog is embarrassingly large, but it looks like it will be fun.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both the PS2 and not one but two of the Wii version. Couldn't pass up the great price at Gamestop for the CIB games on the cheap. My biggest disappoint with the PS2 version is no Twinstick support! Instead of the special attack for the right analog, one stick could have been set for movement and the other for shooting direction. As it is you can only lock a shoot direction (moving forward at first) while strafing moving away.

The Wii version has a better control, a twinstick mode of sorts. Use the Wiimote to aim the shots while moving away in another direction.

The game is no Pocky Rocky, but still okay. I just wish levels beaten can be selected without having to beat the entire game!

EDIT
    Please keep the separate Game Of The Day Thread reviews right here on Digital Press.
    The suggestions in the other Thread of just linking to a Java intense Blog Site is not very appealing.
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 06-02-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've got the wii version and thought it was very refreshing since it feels like a snes title more than what was and is the current generation. I'd love to see more like this and seem to remember the publisher putting out a lot of 16 bit feeling titles other than this. It doesn't hurt that I am a huge Pocky and Rocky fan, and I play that regularly with my son. Maybe I need to show him this?!
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been on the lookout for this one for either the PS2 or Wii. Reading this thread makes me want to find it more.