Thread: GOTD X/X/XXXX: Because you can't make everyone happy

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD X/X/XXXX: Because you can't make everyone happy

Well, since Game of the Day threads are just the worst thing and are ruining the forum experience for some people by flooding the main page and flushing the dozens of other topics that get posted every day to the oblivion of other pages, I will no longer be posting them in the Classic Gaming sub-forum. They will now be posted in the Columns sub-forum so that they will be less visible and stop strangling the life out of the place as they apparently do.

This thread will be posted to contain links to new topics as I post them as well as eventually compiling links to all previous GOTD threads to make them more searchable for the people that enjoy them. I will continue to update daily as long as I can, and hope that this solution makes my trying to start conversation more palatable, though I'm sure someone will be upset by the daily bump of a new post link.

Sorry to be a little salty, and I really appreciate everyone who participates regularly talking games with me. I just don't know what else to do, and I'm not going to let simple attempts to talk about games become somehow controversial. Link updates to follow.

Edit: Apparently I can't post to Columns. Where the fuck do I put 'em? I'm posting today's in Classic Gaming, because I already did the work. If I can't figure it out by tomorrow, that'll be it.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 06-05-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't really that much where they go, really, so long as they're easy to access for people who enjoy them. I just hope where ever they end up isn't in a section that people don't even realize exists. Hell, I've been here for several years and I'm still discovering sub-forums I never know about since I generally just stick to Classic and Modern.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I think they should go to the appropriate forum, and most have been "classic"
    who ever had a hard time and was getting "confused" by them I don't think takes the time to read the whole thing. how confusing can one of these get?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nah man, keep them the way they are. Maybe use this thread to link back to all the older GOTD posts. Like I said earlier, I was looking for the names of a couple game I wanted to play, which you were able to tell me were Final Lap Twin and World Class Tennis?? (see I already forget the Tennis game). I tried out two games I normally wouldn't have bothered with if it weren't for your posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Hi celerystalker, i just gave my opinion on gotd and didnt want to be a jackass but it looks like you have got a lot of followers! You should really consider writing a blog or webpage, and yeah i guess you are right the classic forums are dead... so keep on posting if it helps keep dp alive its all good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Hi celerystalker, i just gave my opinion on gotd and didnt want to be a jackass but it looks like you have got a lot of followers! You should really consider writing a blog or webpage, and yeah i guess you are right the classic forums are dead... so keep on posting if it helps keep dp alive its all good.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I tried to switch to columns last night, but apparently you have to be a mod to post there. I'll probably just keep going in Classic Gaming for now. None of it is cross-posted anywhere or anything though. It's always been about conversation at DP, not trying to build an external project.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Unless an admin or mod is telling you to make a change, which I highly doubt since just about all of them seem MIA, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing. There is definitely no pleasing everybody, yeah, but the vast majority seem to be happy with the way it's been. For all the people who may be put off to checking this section because of the number of GOTD topics (which is probably only a few people tops), I'm sure there are far more who would check this section less often if they weren't here, just out of the general inactivity of the section otherwise. So I think you're doing a lot more to increase traffic than decreasing it. It's not like back when all the Youtube link topics became an issue. You're making these topics FOR this forum, for the purpose of fostering discussion HERE. It's hard to find much negative in that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Please keep them as separate threads. I don't comment much, but I do enjoy reading your reviews.

Anyone bitching can go fuck themselves and find another forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind the GOTD threads, but I agree with others that you should start your own blog and create a following on social media. Hopefully you have backups of everything you posted so far in case the forum goes offline tomorrow.
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

^these 2 guys is what I am talking about

2 peeps, members since '11 are still in "insert coin" status are coming and reading at least and it seems occasionally posting

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I like the GOTD threads as much as the next, but I do think its fair criticism that they do clutter up the Classic Gaming Forum. Why not have a sub-folder where you can move all the GOTD topics to that are over a week old?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I like the GOTD threads as much as the next, but I do think its fair criticism that they do clutter up the Classic Gaming Forum. Why not have a sub-folder where you can move all the GOTD topics to that are over a week old?
    That sort of thing would have to be set up by a mod or admin. All I can do is post and edit my own posts.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    That sort of thing would have to be set up by a mod or admin. All I can do is post and edit my own posts.
    Just keep pumping them out as seperate topics until an mod or admin wakes up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Keep the GOTD review Threads as they are each game in their own Thread, that is the purpose of the Forum; to invite different points of view!

2. Please DO NOT post on a dedicated Website Blog that requires going to an outside slow load Java intense Web page. This keeps the activity right here on Digital Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    Please keep them as separate threads. I don't comment much, but I do enjoy reading your reviews.

THIS! Instead of complaining, how about contributing! The more informative posts the better!
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 06-06-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have absolutely no problem with them staying as is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really mind them, since this forums is very slow. How about "Games of the week" threads instead, where you review more than one game per thread? Same work, same visibility, less clutter. Seems like a compromise.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

It would be handy to have a single stickied thread that has a list of all past GOTD topics links to their respective threads. Some may be hard to find due to the 4 character search limit. With that you could at least do a word search within the browser page rather than relying on the forum search engine.

Hell , let's be honest here. I'd rather wade through
    the "clutter" of GOTD threads than two dozen pages of derp topics discussing bar code variants, H-seam anomolies, trite "hidden gems" lists that have been regurgitated a hundred times, or "look what I bought at a thrift dirt cheap and now immidately flipped at 500% markup to the For Sale section!".

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr3tty f1y View Post
    please keep them as separate threads. I don't comment much, but i do enjoy reading your reviews.

ahahahahahahaha!