Thread: GOTD 6/14/2016: Centipede (umm... most systems)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 6/14/2016: Centipede (umm... most systems)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_200628.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	9449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_200756.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	9450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_200936.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	9451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_201319(0).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	9452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_200939.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	9453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_200949.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	9454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160612_201336.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	9455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160613_155107.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	9456

Centipede is as well-known and available as any classic video game, having been ported or emulated on loads of consoles and computers. My reason for making it game of the day is two-fold. One, I'm still recovering from illness, so writing up and photographing this game is a simple endeavor. Secondly, I'd love to hear about other folks' favorite versions, controllers, or arcade stories about it.

On the incredibly off chance that someone somehow isn't familiar with Centipede, it's a vertical monitor arcade game from Atari that places the player in control of a character at the bottom of a screen populated by destructible mushrooms. Controlled by a trackball, the player moves and shoots directly upward as a centipede begins making its way through the fungal maze toward the bottom of the screen, turning and dropping each time it encounters a barrier or the edge of the screen. The player must eradicate all segments of the centipede in order to progress to the next wave. Shooting it will cause the centipede to split apart at the break, and any segments that reach the bottom will split apart and begin swarming up and down along the bottom several rows umtil destroyed or the player dies.

To keep things from becoming too simple, several variables pop up, most prominently spiders, which move erratically across the bottom of the screen, removing mushrooms and trying to kill you. Shooting centipede segments will leave a new mushroom in their wake. If too few mushrooms are in the lower part of the play field, fleas will begin dropping from the top of the screen to leave a row of mushrooms in their place. Lastly, scorpions quickly dart horizontally across the screen, not attacking the player directly, but poisoning any mushrooms they touch. These poisoned shrooms cause centiped segments that come into contact with them to fall directly to the bottom of the screen.

There is no endgame to achieve in Centipede; just the pride of putting up a big score. Depending on dip settings, extra lives are doled out every 10,000 or 12,000 points typically as well, so a good player can quickly turn a quarter into a marathon session. There are loads of well-documented strategies to racking up high scores, most revolving around manipulating the lay of mushrooms on the playfield to guide the centipede or protect the player, allowing you to herd the centipede to score real points from spiders and scorpions (tip: spiders are worth more the closer to you they are when killed).

My best Centipede story comes from how I ended up buying my arcade cabinet of the game. I'd gotten a healthy bonus at work, and had plans to go buy a Sunset Riders cabinet from a dealer in the area I knew personally. So, I went with my wife and brother, meeting him after hours in his arcade. He let us look around and play games for awhile first, just in case I wanted to decide on any other games instead. My wife, who is fairly short, just fell in love with the little cabaret model Centipede cabinet there, and the guy noticed her enthusiasm. He offered me a pretty good deal if I wanted to get both. We talked it over, and long story short, we ended up leaving with both the 4-player Sunset Riders and the cabaret Centipede. Oddly, after having them both in our home, my wife got more into Sunset Riders, whereas I came to really enjoy going downstairs from time to time and just playing a credit of Centipede fairly often.

So... any good Centipede stories? Favorite ports? Great trackball controllers you like?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really have much to say about Centipede. I remember wanting to play it when I saw it in hotel lobbies and whatnot when I was a little kid, but I never had money and I was too short to reach the controls anyway. The other thing I have to say is that one of my MAME cabinets used to be a Centipede. Some arcade operator painted it black and turned it into a Street Fighter 2, then converted that into Mortal Kombat. This way I get to have that cool Atari cabinet design, and I'm not responsible for butchering a Centipede. I do love the artwork on the cabinet, though. If you look closely you can see it through the paint.

Other than that , I don't have much to say about Centipede, other than I love this song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdnmTgEBRqI

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I love Centipede. It's my favorite pre-crash game. I've put a ridiculous amount of time into the GBA port, even though the picture is stretched out to fit the GBA's screen, and there's no trackball obviously. I've never looked into outside strategies, and I don't think I've ever come up with any of my own that are that clever, so my high scores probably aren't that impressive. Mostly I just try to keep the bottom of the screen as clear as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I only put up a couple hundred thousand if I just wing it playing freestyle, which is my favorite way to play, more reflexes and timing than strategy. If I bother to make a tunnel and set up a safe zone, I can put up some pretty good scores, but it's not as much fun to play that way.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think my best was under 150k, and I usually won't even hit 100k (on whatever the default GBA settings are), so yeah, even though I like it a lot, I'm probably not that great at it. But I don't have great single-screen arcade gaming chops in general since that era is before my time and not one I've dabbled in enough to get particularly skilled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I think my best was under 150k, and I usually won't even hit 100k (on whatever the default GBA settings are), so yeah, even though I like it a lot, I'm probably not that great at it. But I don't have great single-screen arcade gaming chops in general since that era is before my time and not one I've dabbled in enough to get particularly skilled.
    That's not a bad score, really, especially on the small screen of a handheld and no trackball. I'm never as good at single screen stuff either. I grew up on it, but that was when I was very young, and I really prefer later '80s game design. I do enjoy them still, though, and it's fun to see what I can get on one credit. Like, Popeye... I have a dedicated cabinet, and I like the game, but I suuuck at it. I barely break 100,000 on a good play for me, but I still have fun playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't thought about how many versions of Centipede I have until this article. I started out with the TI-99/4A version (the Wico Trackball worked great with it, as I recall), the Atari 2600 version, the Intellivision cart next, then later picked up the game for the Atari 8-bit computers, the Colecovision, and the Dreamcast. I'm probably forgetting another variant someplace.

I'm partial to the TI-99/4A game, mainly because it was my first computer. Like I mentioned I also had the Wico Trackball that I only really used with Centipede (the TI's trackball needed an external power supply to use, and I didn't have a power strip in 1984 so it was a bit of a struggle to use). I played the hell out of that Atarisoft cartridge. I think my next favorite version would be the Intellivision game - I think the control disc worked pretty decently.

I had to look up whether or not there was an Atari 7800 version. I guess there was, and I most likely own it, but I don't recall playing it. I must have been totally over Centipede by the time I got that one.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Centipede stories, huh? I actually have a couple. One of the most terrifying nightmares I ever had was because of Centipede.

I was a big fan of the game. Centipede, along with the clone game, Caterpillar, were my most played arcade games for a while. I must have been about 7 or 8 years old when I had a dream inspired by the game. I don't recall how the dream begin, only how it ended. I was alone in a dark forest with a thick canopy that blocked out most of the sunlight. Several focused beams of day light (or it could have been moonlight, I don't remember) broke through the canopy, creating a creepy, surreal labyrinth of light and shadows on the forest floor. I was being stalked by the centipede -- it was TERRIFYING, standing several stories tall when posturing, and it must have been 30 or so meters long, at least. It moved with snake like reflexes and chased me into a large, open clearing where there was a tight circle of giant mushrooms of varying height at the center, all surrounding a shallow, shimmering pool of crystal clear water. Panicked and exhausted, I desperately climbed up from 'shroom top to 'shroom top, until I eventually reached the tallest mushroom in the cluster, but the centipede, still pursuing me, easily towered over it and began to close in on me.

This is about the time I remembered (or learned) that I had a large, elvish looking dagger tucked into my waistband. It was shiny, silver and ornate, like something out of a Tolkien book. The centipede postured, vertically, in a slow wavering sway, similar to a cobra being charmed -- arched back, standing erect, calculating it's strike trajectory. I'd never known desperation like this before.

There was just no way I could take this thing on. I was too small, too tired, and too afraid to attempt fight, or to run anymore. Before the centipede could strike I removed the dagger from it's scabbard, plunged the blade deep into my chest, and free fell backward off of the mushroom tower and into the shallow pool of water below.

...and then I immediately woke up.

This was one of the earliest dreams I remembered, and still one of the most terrifying. I don't recall if I woke up sweating, if I'd wet myself, or if I was gasping for air or not. I do remember though that I'd never contemplated in waking life (or in a dream for that matter) taking my own life before then. I must have spent the next 2 or 3 days sorting all of those feelings out.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 06-14-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) JeremiahJT's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JeremiahJT

7800 Centipede is my personal favorite. Two player cooperative gameplay cannot be beat. That along with Asteroids are reason enough for owning the system.

5200 version is probably my least favorite. I will kill a spider that is damn near on top of me and the game only gives me 300 points. It is pretty fun with the trackball if I recall correctly.

The 2600 port is fun and competent and one of these days I will get around to trying the unreleased Lynx version.

I prefer Centipede to its sequel, Millipede. I am not a fan of the DDT cans since I always waste them. I also am not a fan of the beetle and other new enemies.

Unfortunately I have never played a Centipede arcade that did not have a terrible trackball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Centipede stories, huh? I actually have a couple. One of the most terrifying nightmares I ever had was because of Centipede.

I was a big fan of the game. Centipede, along with the clone game, Caterpillar, were my most played arcade games for a while. I must have been about 7 or 8 years old when I had a dream inspired by the game. I don't recall how the dream begin, only how it ended. I was alone in a dark forest with a thick canopy that blocked out most of the sunlight. Several focused beams of day light (or it could have been moonlight, I don't remember) broke through the canopy, creating a creepy, surreal labyrinth of light and shadows on the forest floor. I was being stalked by the centipede -- it was TERRIFYING, standing several stories tall when posturing, and it must have been 30 or so meters long, at least. It moved with snake like reflexes and chased me into a large, open clearing where there was a tight circle of giant mushrooms of varying height at the center, all surrounding a shallow, shimmering pool of crystal clear water. Panicked and exhausted, I desperately climbed up from 'shroom top to 'shroom top, until I eventually reached the tallest mushroom in the cluster, but the centipede, still pursuing me, easily towered over it and began to close in on me.

This is about the time I remembered (or learned) that I had a large, elvish looking dagger tucked into my waistband. It was shiny, silver and ornate, like something out of a Tolkien book. The centipede postured, vertically, in a slow wavering sway, similar to a cobra being charmed -- arched back, standing erect, calculating it's strike trajectory. I'd never known desperation like this before.

There was just no way I could take this thing on. I was too small, too tired, and too afraid to attempt fight, or to run anymore. Before the centipede could strike I removed the dagger from it's scabbard, plunged the blade deep into my chest, and free fell backward off of the mushroom tower and into the shallow pool of water below.

...and then I immediately woke up.

This was one of the earliest dreams I remembered, and still one of the most terrifying. I don't recall if I woke up sweating, if I'd wet myself, or if I was gasping for air or not. I do remember though that I'd never contemplated in waking life (or in a dream for that matter) taking my own life before then. I must have spent the next 2 or 3 days sorting all of those feelings out.
    That is one hell of a dream, especially for a kid. It's wild how something like that can be so impactful that it sticks with you for a lifetime. Thanks for telling it!

JeremiahJT-I'm with you on preferring Centipede over Millipede. It definitely feels like the more elegantly designed game to me. I've never played co-op on 7800. That sounds like good fun!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 06-14-2016 at 11:13 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I love centipede, but I am kinda more partial to millipede. Millipede has more bugs.
    Ive got a nice trackball, and both centipede and millipede work perfectly on MAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahJT View Post
    7800 Centipede is my personal favorite. Two player cooperative gameplay cannot be beat. That along with Asteroids are reason enough for owning the system.

5200 version is probably my least favorite. I will kill a spider that is damn near on top of me and the game only gives me 300 points. It is pretty fun with the trackball if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately I have never played a Centipede arcade that did not have a terrible trackball.
    Have the 7800 and 5200 versions. The 7800 is great for the team play, but the 5200 version really shines with its regulation "cue ball" sized Trakball. Someone needs to try Mame, play the game with a Kenningston Trakball. Try is on the PS2 or Xbox as well!

SmartJoy Frag Mouse Trakball Keyboard Adaptor - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...400265#p400265

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Have the 7800 and 5200 versions. The 7800 is great for the team play, but the 5200 version really shines with its regulation "cue ball" sized Trakball. Someone needs to try Mame, play the game with a Kenningston Trakball. Try is on the PS2 or Xbox as well!

SmartJoy Frag Mouse Trakball Keyboard Adaptor - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...400265#p400265

The Kinningston on the left is exactly what I have!!! Its really good, with mame and a crt monitor its better than the arcade.
    Just gotta be careful with the trackball though, roll it too fast and it goes flying!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I guess when it comes to this game i go the purest route.
    Has to be arcade track ball, crappy balls or not. I rarely make it into the 10s of thousands except the one special time.

There was a nickel arcade when i was a kid near by and they had a standard upright. I managed to set up the tunnel but i didn't have any mushrooms near me. 5 or so waves in no problem. Things start to pick up and i have to dodge a spider and next thing i know i shoot from the middle of the screen to the far left in a blink of an eye. Caught me off guard and wound up losing a life since i just couldn't recover. Next life cleaned up my tunnel and kept going but keeping in mind there's something up with this trackball.

In the end i wound up using it to my advantage, pop over to the left and back in an instant when things got to hairy finish the wave clean up the tunnel and keep going.
    If i remember correctly i made to close to 200k but of course since i was doing well no one had any patience and i was forced to leave.

Never could do it again though, the track ball was malfunctioning. For what ever reason a short movement at a particular angle twards the left caused it to think it was moving at a much higher rate of speed than it was and caused it to pop over to one side, reverse the angle and back to almost center.

Was odd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I guess when it comes to this game i go the purest route.
    Has to be arcade track ball, crappy balls or not. I rarely make it into the 10s of thousands except the one special time.

There was a nickel arcade when i was a kid near by and they had a standard upright. I managed to set up the tunnel but i didn't have any mushrooms near me. 5 or so waves in no problem. Things start to pick up and i have to dodge a spider and next thing i know i shoot from the middle of the screen to the far left in a blink of an eye. Caught me off guard and wound up losing a life since i just couldn't recover. Next life cleaned up my tunnel and kept going but keeping in mind there's something up with this trackball.

In the end i wound up using it to my advantage, pop over to the left and back in an instant when things got to hairy finish the wave clean up the tunnel and keep going.
    If i remember correctly i made to close to 200k but of course since i was doing well no one had any patience and i was forced to leave.

Never could do it again though, the track ball was malfunctioning. For what ever reason a short movement at a particular angle twards the left caused it to think it was moving at a much higher rate of speed than it was and caused it to pop over to one side, reverse the angle and back to almost center.

Was odd
    What a weird trackball malfunction. Pretty neat that you were able to play it to your advantage, though!