Thread: GOTD 7/7/2016: The Ren & Stimpy Show: Buckaroo$! (NES)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Default GOTD 7/7/2016: The Ren & Stimpy Show: Buckaroo$! (NES)

Ren & Stimpy: Buckaroo$! is a NES game very loosly based on the cartoon show. The plot centers around Stimpy's invention, the 'Gametron 5000 Moneymaker'; which is the first video game system that rewards the player with big bucks. So Ren and Stimpy are playing the Gametron 5000 Moneymaker, and I guess that the levels in the game were created by Stimpson J. Cat because Stimpy is a moron and the game itself is horrible.

The first level is based on the cartoon episode 'Space Madness'. First you have to throw a spring at Ren to bounce him over a transporter, then you have to enter the transporter, twice, and play a boring side-scrolling shooting game. Now why they make you throw a spring at Ren is beyond me; its such a stupid little task when the 1st level is clearly a shooting level. Basically you just avoid & shoot random non-sensical crap that flies at you. Rubber duckies and billiard balls and turkeys. Just make sure you grab that Gritty Kitty. Because if it doesnt say Gritty Kitty... it stinks!

The second level is where the game begins to really suck. Based on the episode 'Out West', its basically a platforming stage with a western theme. The stage is littered with loads more stupid crap that has never been in any of the cartoon episodes, like a giant piggybank that spits out coins and sharks in the water trough. The third level is very much like the second in the sense that its another ugly platforming stage filled with even more non-sensical crap. The fourth level is some kind of strange machine where you have to guide Ren to the exit or something.. and this is where I gave up.

The number one reason this game sucks is because it is not fun to play... at all. The controls are awkward and the levels are poorly designed. Not only is the game not fun, but its also very ugly. The game developers just diddnt care, and it shows. However, my main crtiticism about this game is the amount of non-sensical crap included within. Now I know where they were coming from. Ren & Stimpy is very much an 'off-the-wall' type of cartoon, chock full of insanity, toilet humor, and just plain gross yet hilarious jokes. How can they transfer this type of humor into a Nintendo game? Thats the hard part. They cant just fill the game with farts, vomit, and moose-meat sandwiches because this is a kids game. So instead we get a game full of goofy out-of-place shit like piggy banks and flying turkeys. Ya know, shit that has nothing to do with Ren & Stimpy. Whoever designed this game is an EEEEEDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

At this point in the review I would like to take a moment to thank THQ for ruining the Nintendo game based on one of my favorite TV shows (sarcasm). In fact, almost every NES game THQ made is based on TV shows, movies, or crappy childrens books. Further more, every NES game THQ produced is total crap. Besides Ren & Stimpy, THQ has produced the following on the NES:
    Home Alone, Peter Pan and the Pirates, Wheres Waldo?, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Great Waldo Search (like we needed 2 waldo nes games..thanks THQ), Home Alone 2, Swamp Thing, Waynes World, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, James Bond Jr.. The only non-cartoon character/movie game that THQ made for the nes is Videomation and Wayne Gretzky Hockey.
    But I digress. In conclusion Ren & Stimpy for Nintendo is just a crappy game that should be avoided... you eeediot.

On a side note, I just started a new job so I might not be able to type up reviews every day, but I will try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems if anything your long standing signature of wasted Lindsey saying 'deal with it' pretty much fits with this review. You're stuck with the game, deal with it. We know it's shitfaced and blitzed all over entirely.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Seems if anything your long standing signature of wasted Lindsey saying 'deal with it' pretty much fits with this review. You're stuck with the game, deal with it. We know it's shitfaced and blitzed all over entirely.
    I know, it just pains me deeply that Ren & Stimpy was butchered in such a fashon.

I guess there is one thing I like about this game.. the cover art is cool and brightly colored. I like the color yellow.
    Also it comes with a free poster, man! (which I do have hanging on my wall in my gaming room). So I guess there are 2 things I like about this game. huh.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 07-07-2016 at 10:03 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Back in 1999-2001, I was working for FuncoLand, and I'd buy pretty much any NES game that was $2 or less if I didn't have it, under the mindset that it would be pretty tough not to get $2 worth of fun out of a video game. Videomation, Rocky & Bullwinkle, and the Muppets game were all in the same bag with some better games like SCAT and Shadow of the Ninja. That was the bag of games that stopped that habit, and I started trying games out if I wasn't sure about them, and that saved me from the Ren & Stimpy mistake.

Hope things go well with the new job!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had the SNES version, I know it's a turd, being colorful and nicer on the ears helped it for nothing.