Thread: GOTD 7/18/2016: Adventures of Lolo 3 (NES)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Default GOTD 7/18/2016: Adventures of Lolo 3 (NES)

I know, that was alot of pictures. But why not? Lolo 3 is awesome.

All 3 Lolo games are all very much alike. They are simple puzzle games that become very difficult once you reach the later levels. The three games are all basically the same game, but with different puzzle rooms. The Lolo games have been very popular and most people know how these games play: collect all of the heart containers and reach the exit.

Anyway, Lolo 3 is definitly the hardest of the three. It is a much harder game than the previous two. The fishies in the later levels will drive you crazy. In this installment to the series, you can switch between Lolo & Lala, and at some point in the game one of them gets captured.
    Lolo 3 also features bosses, which appear after each set of stages. Dont worry though, because all of the bosses are very easy.
    This was a game I was determined to beat without cheating. It took me a few days to beat it; some levels would take hours to figure out. Anyway, it is really hard but an excellent game. The music compliments the game nicely. Even though it is very repetative, I dont mind listening to it over and over.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 07-18-2016 at 03:43 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I've always had a soft spot for these kinds of action puzzle games. Lolo, Tricky Kick, Boxy Boy, Shi Kin Jyo, Bombing Islands, Kickle Cubicle... when I'm in a quiet, more thoughtful mood, they really hit the spot. Lolo 3 is tremendous. I don't know which Lolo I like best, but they're all a great time!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Hay a game i has!

But i haven't played it. The first 2 i have and again, was a decent game but nothing i could really get into

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I need Lolo 2 and 3.

Fun fact: Lolo 1 was actually not released in Japan (though its puzzles are all ones from previous games--yes, PREVIOUS games. The series began on the MSX Computer). And the Japanese versions of Lolo 2 and 3 supposedly have completely different puzzles. This honestly makes me wish I had not just Lolo 2 and 3 but the Japanese versions as well.

I usually don't care for this type of Puzzle game. I had one for Gameboy called Boxxle (which is based on Sokoban and revolves around pushing boxes) and that one just gets boring, but somehow the first Lolo was addictive enough to keep me hooked until the end. If I had to explain why, I would think its because Lolo actually feels like.... a game. Boxxle is about pushing boxes into the right place, which makes it effectively the video game equivalent of cleaning your room, but Lolo revolves around the most tried-and-true video game mechanic--picking up collectables--and makes that a puzzle, challenging you to figure out how to open a safe path (or sometimes, any path at all) to get all the hearts by using the game's own mechanics against it. Stuff like the monsters that instakill you if you cross their line of sight but can be blocked or the armadillo that goes to sleep if it touches you and can't be moved after that just make it better.

I never got to play the later two games, but the Lolo 1 music is forever stuck in my head. I often find myself humming that music at random. It will never die.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yay, a nice little write-up for Lolo 3. I'm looking forward to one day being able to try it. I've got Lolo 1 on 3DS and a Lolo 2 cart courtesy of NA.

@Edmond Dantes - That's pretty cool. I've come to notice over the years that HAL has a habit of turning the genre of game they're working with on its head, and improving it in the process. I've been playing Box Boy and Lolo 1 on 3DS a lot lately myself.

If I am patient, then eventually Lolo 3 will be mine.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092