Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 204

Thread: The official Nintendo Switch thread

  1. #41
    Pac-Man (Level 10) theclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I see sharing info I know of is making no difference in this thread so I'll stop. Kind of slowly realizing more how this place is going ghost town. When opinion clouds fact why bother.
    It's that "anonymous sources" are untrustworthy by their very nature. If people just go with it, anybody can claim whatever they want about anything and not be held accountable.
    Lum fan.

  2. #42
    Peach (Level 3) PreZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I see sharing info I know of is making no difference in this thread so I'll stop. Kind of slowly realizing more how this place is going ghost town. When opinion clouds fact why bother.
    Geez sorry for giving my opinion!! Didnt know your speculations were facts, would you like me to make a statue of you and pray to it too!? I always find your posts interesting here tanooki but get of your high horse lol nobody knows shit yet about switch

  3. #43
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,964
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 11:33 AM.

  4. #44
    Pac-Man (Level 10) theclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    My problem is I dont feel like arguing with someone who lacks the information I do yet claims Im wrong. Theres no point in arguing with someone like that or trying to mount a defense since one cant be made with someone grinding their heels in. Thats why I wrote that and I dont feel like going back and forward anymore as its a pointless waste of time.

    The only one acting like a child is the one name calling to try and bait an ongoing battle of words to get a further rise out of it which I dont feel a need to play into. The general lack of maturity by some of the regulars left here who still post dont help things either so why make things worse off?
    Don't mind it, the immature users have difficulty expressing themselves. They most likely feel the claims in question are not backed by sufficient evidence.
    Lum fan.

  5. #45
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Zap!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I see sharing info I know of is making no difference in this thread so I'll stop. Kind of slowly realizing more how this place is going ghost town. When opinion clouds fact why bother.
    Don't let them get to you. I hope the system is a tremendous success. I'm rooting for Nintendo, and will pre-order the system first chance I get.

  6. #46
    Apple (Level 5) eskobar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Posts
    1,032
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Every new console generation I am more away from the target of the console makers. I didn't like the way it was marketed and I didn't like the system ... but it was much better introduction of the new console compared to the Wii U, which still many casual consumers don't get, the message now is more clear.

    I'm going to support Nintendo because we need a company like them alive in the game industry, everyday the way things were are dying slowly and I want to have something old fashioned as much as it's possible. I have tried to avoid information on the new Xelda because I want to purchase it and experience it with no hype and have no false expectations, Nintendo, hope you succeed with this console and hope you still can finance smaller projects and have a bit of good old gaming in the next gen.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

  7. #47
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Every new console generation I am more away from the target of the console makers. I didn't like the way it was marketed and I didn't like the system ... but it was much better introduction of the new console compared to the Wii U, which still many casual consumers don't get, the message now is more clear.

    I'm going to support Nintendo because we need a company like them alive in the game industry, everyday the way things were are dying slowly and I want to have something old fashioned as much as it's possible. I have tried to avoid information on the new Xelda because I want to purchase it and experience it with no hype and have no false expectations, Nintendo, hope you succeed with this console and hope you still can finance smaller projects and have a bit of good old gaming in the next gen.
    My feeling is that Nintendo has aimed their consoles more and more at the casual demographic with each generation, leaving me less and less interested in the process.

    The last 2 consoles (as well as the 3DS) are LOADED with shovelware, most of it child-oriented. Look in the online markets. You'll find WAY more pony training games than anything on the Virtual Console or major releases. Now the usual retort to this is "every console has shovelware. Even the NES had shovelware." This is true, but the ratio of garbage to something playable has been much higher than other machines on the market.

    Even the first-party Nintendo games are less enjoyable to me these days (except Pikmin 3, which I adored). The 2-D and 3-D Mario games are so easy they practically play themselves. The levels are a breeze to zoom through, and the only challenge is collecting the star coins, which gets old fast. They're great for children, and can be a great game for families to en, but they don't challenge me at all, and the aesthetics are generally uninspired.

    I have a deep love for many Zelda games, but the last few have been so similar (and quite frankly, uninteresting to me) that I don't have excitement for them anymore. Look at the ad for the Switch and the footage of Zelda it's showing on there. It's Link fighting dudes on horseback. We've had 4 or 5 games use this exact same premise since 1998, and it's getting old. And making it open world doesn't help much when the setting and core gameplay are the same.

    Splatoon is child-friendly Call of Duty. True, the paint mechanic is original and fun for awhile, and I love the setting/language and little touches like the Famicom game when it's loading, but in general it's offering the same online competitive multiplayer that has been done to death. There's really not much innovation there. Competitive online multiplayer is big in the gaming zeitgeist right now. Making a game like this is like low-hanging fruit.

    As far as you're hope for "smaller projects", don't count on it. Nintendo takes risks on hardware, not on games. Most of their cheaper titles suck or are rehashes of 30+ year old games. I've felt that Sony consoles have had the most varied and unique libraries since PS2. Sony was way more willing to take a risk on licensing odd stuff. In the PS2 era we had brilliant innovations like the Ico/SOTC games and Katamari Demacy. Gravity Rush is a commercial failure but is and amazing game (if you haven't played it, you should!) Sony Backed Rezogun, and the arcade series on PS4 is quite eclectic. They have City Connection and, Exerion, and now they're releasing obscure Nichibitsu games.

    In the end, though, I find the best gaming on the PC. Steam and GOG are a goldmine of unique stuff. Momodoro is an amazing Metroidvania game, and Princess Maker 2 for the PC-98 just got remastered and put on Steam. The Umihare Kawase games are all on there too. There are very few console exclusives anymore. Even the games I bought a PS4 to play ended up on Steam eventually, and with some tweaking run much better.

    PC gaming can be frustrating when shit doesn't work, but the end results for your investment are fantastic. My advice to anyone would be to build yourself a midrange PC. It'll probably still perform better than the consoles (especially since you can adjust settings depending on your taste for hi-res effects or a higher frame rate) and you'll have access to so much more.

    In short, not only am I unimpressed with the switch hardware, I'm not even confident that Nintendo will be producing compelling software. They are so risk-averse that they've just been shoveling out rehashes (or remakes) of the same 5 or so franchises for the past 10 years.

    Edit: These are my opinions and impressions, and I am not peddling them as facts. Also, sorry for the long post. But if Tanooki can do it, I can too
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 10-25-2016 at 08:28 PM.

  8. #48
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,964
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 11:33 AM.

  9. #49
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,278
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    My feeling is that Nintendo has aimed their consoles more and more at the casual demographic with each generation, leaving me less and less interested in the process.

    The last 2 consoles (as well as the 3DS) are LOADED with shovelware, most of it child-oriented. Look in the online markets. You'll find WAY more pony training games than anything on the Virtual Console or major releases. Now the usual retort to this is "every console has shovelware. Even the NES had shovelware." This is true, but the ratio of garbage to something playable has been much higher than other machines on the market.

    Even the first-party Nintendo games are less enjoyable to me these days (except Pikmin 3, which I adored). The 2-D and 3-D Mario games are so easy they practically play themselves. The levels are a breeze to zoom through, and the only challenge is collecting the star coins, which gets old fast. They're great for children, and can be a great game for families to en, but they don't challenge me at all, and the aesthetics are generally uninspired.

    I have a deep love for many Zelda games, but the last few have been so similar (and quite frankly, uninteresting to me) that I don't have excitement for them anymore. Look at the ad for the Switch and the footage of Zelda it's showing on there. It's Link fighting dudes on horseback. We've had 4 or 5 games use this exact same premise since 1998, and it's getting old. And making it open world doesn't help much when the setting and core gameplay are the same.

    Splatoon is child-friendly Call of Duty. True, the paint mechanic is original and fun for awhile, and I love the setting/language and little touches like the Famicom game when it's loading, but in general it's offering the same online competitive multiplayer that has been done to death. There's really not much innovation there. Competitive online multiplayer is big in the gaming zeitgeist right now. Making a game like this is like low-hanging fruit.

    As far as you're hope for "smaller projects", don't count on it. Nintendo takes risks on hardware, not on games. Most of their cheaper titles suck or are rehashes of 30+ year old games. I've felt that Sony consoles have had the most varied and unique libraries since PS2. Sony was way more willing to take a risk on licensing odd stuff. In the PS2 era we had brilliant innovations like the Ico/SOTC games and Katamari Demacy. Gravity Rush is a commercial failure but is and amazing game (if you haven't played it, you should!) Sony Backed Rezogun, and the arcade series on PS4 is quite eclectic. They have City Connection and, Exerion, and now they're releasing obscure Nichibitsu games.

    In the end, though, I find the best gaming on the PC. Steam and GOG are a goldmine of unique stuff. Momodoro is an amazing Metroidvania game, and Princess Maker 2 for the PC-98 just got remastered and put on Steam. The Umihare Kawase games are all on there too. There are very few console exclusives anymore. Even the games I bought a PS4 to play ended up on Steam eventually, and with some tweaking run much better.

    PC gaming can be frustrating when shit doesn't work, but the end results for your investment are fantastic. My advice to anyone would be to build yourself a midrange PC. It'll probably still perform better than the consoles (especially since you can adjust settings depending on your taste for hi-res effects or a higher frame rate) and you'll have access to so much more.

    In short, not only am I unimpressed with the switch hardware, I'm not even confident that Nintendo will be producing compelling software. They are so risk-averse that they've just been shoveling out rehashes (or remakes) of the same 5 or so franchises for the past 10 years.

    Edit: These are my opinions and impressions, and I am not peddling them as facts. Also, sorry for the long post. But if Tanooki can do it, I can too
    I agree strongly with many of your points. I've been very disappointed with the software selection on the WiiU and the 3DS in recent years and Nintendo seems to be focusing less and less on pursuing innovative software design, instead being content to keep treading water and rehashing their IP and hoping that Amiibo sales and other gimmicks would get them through. Although I have no doubt that I will purchase the Switch at launch in the naive hope that Nintendo will return to software greatness, I can't help but feel disappointed in their decision to let Sony and Microsoft get so far ahead in sheer hardware performance. I remember when Nintendo made alternate design choices in hardware with platforms like the N64 and the Gamecube, but still managed to deliver technology that could compete with the other consoles. I own all three iterations of the Nvidia Shield and while I had high hopes for the platform, there are certain design compromises that had to be made to hit a certain price point and I think the same will hold true with the Switch. It's starting to feel like it's time for Nintendo to abandon hardware completely and just focus 100% on software. Unfortunately, like Sega, I can imagine Nintendo continuing down the path of churning out retread after retread with no new IP or other innovation to make them stand out from the rich and bountiful indie gaming scene that dominates STEAM and even the PS4 and Xbox One digital libraries.

  10. #50
    Peach (Level 3) PreZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

    Default

    Tanooki you made me remember of all those kids at school "i know cause my uncle works at nintendo!". Even if you do have inside info, nobody really knows all the specs and details yet.

  11. #51
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

    Default

    @tanooki: thanks for the compliment. I had to stay late at work cuz of it!

    @bojay: I REALLY miss when Nintendo had more competitive hardware. My mind was blown the first time I saw the N64 and SNES my mind was blown. I actually thought the Wii was amazing at first, before the poop train hit.

  12. #52
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Tanooki you made me remember of all those kids at school "i know cause my uncle works at nintendo!". Even if you do have inside info, nobody really knows all the specs and details yet.
    I grew up in Bellevue Washington, my friend's dad DID work at Nintendo. She hooked me up with mad Game and Watches. If she still has them she's sitting on a goldmine.

    She was the first girl to have a crush on me. I didn't give a fuck. I just wanted to borrow donkey kong hockey and tropical fish.

  13. #53
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,814
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

    Default

    I miss the kind of excitement I used to have growing up for new systems, like the first time I saw the NES or the night I first played Turbografx and SNES on the same night. It's been a long time since I truly was excited about a system... probably the Dreamcast, to the point where I was actively seeking out information or importing hardware and games early ('cause I wasn't waiting on Power Stone, dammit!).

    That said, I like much of what I see so far here, though the controls concern me. Nintendo's stuff, while responsive, has really felt too small for my hands in the last 15 years, and I always cramp up with their portables. It's almost like they hate adult males. Hopefully there'll be a few good options out there... and maybe a game or two that'll be unique and fun. I still haven't talked myself into a Wii U, as only Mario Maker and Captain Toad have been calling my name so far.

  14. #54
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    XYXZYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    1986
    Posts
    2,606
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The ad reminded me of the "Player Profile" section of Nintendo Power, when they always listed "camping, math homework, and playing sports" as the player's hobbies.

  15. #55
    Pear (Level 6) OldSchoolGamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Kelowna B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,313
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    126
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

    Default Update

    Here is what you can really expect

    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

  16. #56
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

    Default

    That's priceless. I can't tell if the shots of the switch are ripped from the ad or not.

  17. #57
    Pear (Level 6) Gentlegamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Nintendo Karen needs to be the Switch mascot, like Johnny Turbo.

  18. #58
    Cherry (Level 1) PizzaKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    302
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Lame parody. Yeah Im playing Skyrim while taking a dump. Ha ha..

  19. #59
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    755
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Shit doesn't look very portable to me. If it don't fit in the pocket, it ain't portable.

  20. #60
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,738
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Here is what you can really expect ]
    I was actually thinking of making a parody, although I'm too lazy so wouldn't ever go through with recording it, but basically do just as they did and rip off the Nintendo Switch ad, with the Playstation Switch. You know how the PSP Go has a tv out/charging dock and can use a PS3 controller? Mine parody idea though was to throw it in the faces of the Nintendo fanboys who keep stating how revolutionary Nintendo is and saying "how long until Sony/Microsoft copies the Nintendo Switch." Statements about how Nintendo did everything first is already annoying, but literally everything that comes out of the mouth of a die hard Nintendo fanboy is annoying.

    PSP Go dock with the controller was the most similar. A single device that could be played portable, portable while viewing from a stand using a console controller, or on a tv. However, PSP2000 or 3000 could do to the tv just with the tv out. The Vita and PSTV and the TG16 and Turbo Express portable are similar but in these cases you had to buy the portable and the consolized version.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-31-2016 at 01:58 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. Nintendo's E3 2012 Official Thread
    By PapaStu in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
  2. Nintendo 3DS - Official Thread
    By poloplayr in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 01:52 AM
  3. Official Nintendo Wii E3 08 Discussion Thread
    By PapaStu in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 07:08 PM
  4. The Official Nintendo Wii Thread.
    By dbiersdorf in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 302
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 03:21 PM
  5. Official Nintendo NES Thread
    By digitalpress in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •