Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to understand the hate

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Couldn't you make it like Krull? With different segments that play differently that relate to different parts of the film?

I stage where you sneak through the house or backyard or woods trying to avoid the mother, or a dog or forest creatures, a stage where you're avoiding men in black trying to catch you, a stage where you're controlling Eliot on the bike racing through the streets, an obligatory bike flying stage, maybe overhead where you avoid trees, cliffs and predatory birds, etc..

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, if a movie doesn't match well with action gameplay, then just make a story-focused game. It could've been some sort of adventure game or visual novel or what have you. Of course, they wanted a big-seller and were limited by the hardware, so the types of games that were more suited to hardcore PC gamers in those days wouldn't have been very feasible to that end.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

ET and PAC man wasnt why they wound up in a landfill it was because they closed a customer service, distribution and repair center in El Paso Texas.
    They closed it because they couldn't figure out how to run a proper business

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    ET and PAC man wasnt why they wound up in a landfill it was because they closed a customer service, distribution and repair center in El Paso Texas.
    They closed it because they couldn't figure out how to run a proper business
    Weren't they buried in 1985? Because Atari had already been sold off to the Tramiel family by that point, and I'm sure (as legendarily cheap as they're known to be) didn't want to pay for the storage of returned games anymore.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

ET's not a good game, but, given the era, it's not even close to terrible. I actually beat it once back in the 80's so it's not broken, but it certainly was rushed, and has some bad design choices, likely due to that. Oh those fuckin pits... But there were certainly worse ways to waste an afternoon back then.

Pac-Man 2600, not the best version of the game, but c'mon, it's for the 2600. You have a little guy with his mouth opening and closing, and you run around a maze eating stuff while ghosts try to eat you and powerups that turn the tables. It's absolutely Pac-Man and not missing any essential element. Yes, Ms. Pac-man on the same system blows it away, but even that was hardly a perfect port, and it also came out later and not as rushed. Anyway the 2600 version of the original is still better than the version that was on my official Pac-man watch, so it's not that bad.

Hydlide on the NES, I've always found nigh unplayable. Super Hydlide on Genesis (apparently actually an enhanced port of Hylide 3) I had a lot of fun with, and for an 89 release has some AWESOME use of the Genny's sound chip. There are things in the game that I can see not liking it for, but I had a blast playing it before Phantasy Star came out the next year. Then Virtual Hydlide came out for the Saturn and reshit the bed.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hydlide might have been excusable in 1986 (when the Japanese version was released) or 1984 (when the original Japanese computer version was released, I forget which ones), before we had games like Zelda, but to release it in 1989? I just assume it was a fairly cheap release.