Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I had some fun with my sons this weekend. Ended up getting a free TV someone was getting rid of and finally decided to vertically mount one in my basement for Tate mode shooting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231128_163446.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	11123

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

The wife had to get some leg surgery done, so I took off of work so I could drive her to the hospital.and back. While waiting, I read an issue of "Joystik" magazine and then played "Sonic the Hedgehog" from the "Sega Genesis Classics" I bought on the Switch. I haven't really played that game that much si ce I origi ally owned it back in '91. I have it in so many compilafions and ways to play it but just haven't. Until now. I got to the Marble Zone and acquired a Chaos Emerald before I saved and shut down to go to my own appointment (contact lens check and put my old lenses back in my eyeglass frames...which the tech broke....)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I got the fever to play some Money Puzzle Exchanger for Neo Geo MVS yesterday. I love it as one of my personal top 10 puzzle games, but good lord are those last 2 battles tough. I beat it 3 times yesterday, but I would not want to admit the shameful number of continues it took.

After the kids went to bed last night, I decided to play on the vertical screen some more, as it's new enough to me to still be exciting. I played Homura on PS2 for awhile, and my opinion on it has changed a LOT since first getting it back when it came out like 15 years or more ago. I didn't like it as much back then. It was the peak of my shooter (shmup) playing and buying, and came out in the same window as the posthumous Dreamcast games and all those Cave ports like ESPGaluda, Mushihimesama, Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou, and Ibara, and I really didn't care for its dark color palette and polygon models instead of sprites. Really giving it a fair shake, I truly enjoyed its mechanics this time around. You move slightly slower while shooting, which helps with micro-dodging, and faster when not for macro. There are no bombs, and instead you use your sword when you can (from a slowly-filling automatic gauge) in two ways, almost like in Mars Matrix with the bullet absorbing attack. First, when in striking range, you will do a lock-on, invincible attack to up to 5 enemies of the same type, destroying them all in a flashy animation. Second, you van use it to reflect away a swarm of nearby bullets and send them back at your attacker, netting a poimt multiplier for each bullet. There are no power-ups to collect, and the sword mechanic is really the only scoring gimmick aside from the usual dropped point bonuses from enemies and percentage of enemies destroyed. It's a nice change from the gimmicky scoring in Cave and Treasure games, and it even has a standard 3 credit limit, making it to where it can't be just credit-fed. I'll probably go for a 1cc for the first time in a long time on this one!

My sons have taken a shine to Marvel Super Heroes for arcade and Sega Saturn. My older boy likes Shuma Gorrath, and thr younger likes Blackheart. I had to feel bad for my younger son, though. My daughter wanted to try, and beat him while mostly looking away from the screen and mashing buttons. He got her back after a few tries, but I could see the frustration on his face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

I got some Atari action last Monday testing out the four-game cartridge that came out with Atari's new modern paddle controllers. They all played as they should and the controllers felt like I stepped back in time, playing like it was 1982 all over again.

I did also partake in Nintendo's eShop sale and picked up "Goat Simulator" (as it looked goofy fun) and "Gris" as it gave me "Journey" vibes in its presentation. "Goat" was stupid fun and "Gris" was an artful feast for the eyes. I didn't get too far in either as I just wanted to get a taste of them before I went to bed that night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Last weekend I decided to bust out the TurboGrafix-16 Mini to see if I still wanted to keep.that thing. After about an hour or so of play....yeah, it's a keeper.

This system (the TG-16 in general) has had a "buy/sell" relationship with me since high school. I owned this system at least three times in my life and sold it not long after owning it. The Mini was a knee jerk purchase that had me going "why did I do this?" Chalk it up to Internet influence and a lack of a good game hunt locally.

Anyway, I fired it up and gravitated to the PC-Engine side of things. "Salamander" took up most of my time as Incarved my way through it, making liberal use of save states. I think I'm on level 5. Next game was the original "Bonk's Adventure"...which is weird that the Japanese version is here but not the English version to go with "Bonk's Revenge". "Daimakamura" came next followed by "Castlevania X". All this time Inwas sitting on the living room floor and my legs didn't want to be curled up anymore. I will definitely put this in rotation for play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Last weekend I decided to bust out the TurboGrafix-16 Mini to see if I still wanted to keep.that thing. After about an hour or so of play....yeah, it's a keeper.

This system (the TG-16 in general) has had a "buy/sell" relationship with me since high school. I owned this system at least three times in my life and sold it not long after owning it. The Mini was a knee jerk purchase that had me going "why did I do this?" Chalk it up to Internet influence and a lack of a good game hunt locally.

Anyway, I fired it up and gravitated to the PC-Engine side of things. "Salamander" took up most of my time as Incarved my way through it, making liberal use of save states. I think I'm on level 5. Next game was the original "Bonk's Adventure"...which is weird that the Japanese version is here but not the English version to go with "Bonk's Revenge". "Daimakamura" came next followed by "Castlevania X". All this time Inwas sitting on the living room floor and my legs didn't want to be curled up anymore. I will definitely put this in rotation for play.
    There's a hack coming for it finally but not available yet for the public.