Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Messing around with Tail Concerto on ps1. Weird game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I haven't been on the site much since having kids, but my oldest(5) has been getting into games recently. So I've been playing a lot of Goof Troop for the SNES, which is his favorite of "Daddy's games". It's got nice solid gameplay. Not too hard, not too easy.

Otherwise I've been slowly working through my DS library and just about to finish the first Ace Attorney game.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I haven't been on the site much since having kids, but my oldest(5) has been getting into games recently. So I've been playing a lot of Goof Troop for the SNES, which is his favorite of "Daddy's games". It's got nice solid gameplay. Not too hard, not too easy.

Otherwise I've been slowly working through my DS library and just about to finish the first Ace Attorney game.
    Goof Troop ended up far more interesting than it probably should have. I expected another licensed platformer when I saw it was a game in the early '90s, but its puzzles and co-op really felt pretty unique! Maybe not an all-time classic, but definitely something that stands on its own with or without a license.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even though I feel like I put practically no time into it, I finished off Hamelin's route in Ozmafia on PC. Presumably not the good ending. Maybe the events leading into the good ending add a decent chunk of time to it. Or maybe it's just a short route in general, considering it is a "secret" route and all. Either way, I'm gonna get back to pursuing Caramia's good ending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I sat down last night wrapped up under a blanket recovering from sickness and playing Strider on PS3. I first started it about a year and a half ago, but had gotten sidetracked. I picked it back up last night, and wow, I'd forgotten how much I really like that game. I probably gave it a solid four hours during my quiet night alone, and it gets continually better as it goes on. Story-wise, it's just a re-telling of the same Strider vs Meio saga, but it controls like a champ, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for analog control in 2D games.

The backgrounds can be a bit same-y, but variety is there, especially as you get deeper into the game. The boss fights are well designed, old school pattern-based affairs, and each is fought differently. The exploration is rewarding, with a good balance of secrets and progression. I like that not all functional upgrades are guarded by bosses, and the map function illuminating major items helps for completion, as do the menu tallies.

I'm at the tail end now for this play, and considering hunting all of the odds and ends down just to spend more time in it. It's a very good synthesis of Strider and Metroid, and I'm so glad it came out on disc in Japan (plays in english), or I probably never would have played it.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 02-01-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Finished my playthrough of Strider on PS3. I have to say, it's becoming one of my favorite games in the Metroid style. The amount of secrets to find makes exploring fun and worthwhile, the boss fights offer a lot of variety, and the catapult mechanic is a really enjoyable gameplay element. The only real criticisms I'd level at it are that the backgrounds can be a bit on the dark side, which obscures the wonderful details, and there's no New Game+ or continuing to explore post game for completion. Saving after you beat it retains your unlocked extras, but wipes you progress otherwise, which sucks, leaving only a completion time and percentage to recall it. Still, the game was extremely satisfying, and any fan of Metroid or Strider ought to give it a whirl.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got this last month but didn't really have an opportunity to sit down with it. Giving each game a go, tonight.
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

just been playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. one reason I like racing games is because I can mute them and put a Youtube video in the background and listen to that and usually still do well. this is one of my favorite console games of all time and Ive been playing it since it came out 17 years ago (God I cant believe its been that long)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ive been playing through Super Mario All Stars on SNES on a JC Penney TV from 1987. Im halfway through SMB2. Not a huge fan of this game. 3 was the best out of these but Im beating them in order from 1-3 then the Lost Levels

Insert Coin (Level 0) dado.marinette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Currently I'm playing Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage on ps1, I'm learning to speedrun.
    Check my last project of dice roller online at : https://www.dado-virtual.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

just started Breath of the Wild. its decent enough. The graphics arent that impressive. the game is massive and all but it just feels like a lot of empty space. crafting, weapons that get used up. meh. I'll play through it but once I beat it I'll probably sell it. I knew when I played Twilight Princess I could see the direction the series was heading in

The other game Im playing is Marble it Up. pretty fun

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

beat Mummy Demastered. Great game, hoping for a sequel. not sure what to play next. I might look through my Lynx games to see if there is anything there I am willing to play through. really hoping the Analogue Pocket comes out soon because I hate the actual Lynx itself as a game machine. It's the only console I am aware of that plays Lynx cartridges

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tetris on Genesis (Mega Drive)

Just because I saw a standup say you couldn't play Tetris on Genesis. It does have two-player but it's not great. Bad controls and generic music although I did like the changing backgrounds and the piece stats.

Fully licensed NES or GB Tetris in a first round KO.

Tengen Tetris in a first punch KO.

Honorable mention to the Windows 3.1 version.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

just beat Spyro for PS1 (120%). last time I did that was maybe 20 years ago. such an easy game but its so easy on the eyes and satisfying collecting jewels that it's easy to forgive the kindergarten level of difficulty

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

In the last week+ a few days and today I've been down with HORRIBLE tonsilitis and mostly watching Arcus speed-runs iand You Can Beat Video Games on YouTube, sometimes on mute, kind of helps me sleep.

Before that, was still leisurely dry-running Dragon Warrior IV for a later Let's Play (and to test out the $250.00 cart I traded a nice chunk of my collection for - I finally have all 4 NES versions), while LPing Dragon Warrior for YouTube. AT one point I got the Mitsubishi TV fixed up (degaussed, tamed down the buzz on brighter screens), that set is awesome for YouTube recordings because it has a RCA passthrough that takes from whatever the current source is, so anything from a real console or computer (wii, Tandy 1000, NES, Atari 2600) can be filmed direct off the CRT TV via the passthrough. Been playing a little Adventure on Atari as well, more as a test for the RF on the TV than anything else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just been checking out random PC games and emulations to be honest.

"Destroy All Humans 2" seems to work but crashes now because I literally need ram for the machine.
    I mean amazing to think that a PS2 era game could be so fun right now.

"Hylics 1 and 2" both are auwsome. Just to show you what a person could do with RPG-maker and
    Unity. Only sad part is that Unity does not use the same font as the first game did.

"Ex-Zodiac" is more or less if Starfox was a Twinbee game. This game was made in Godot I mean wow,
    just wow.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I rarely upload games to Youtube but since the 2024 Game of the Year is about to release soon, February 29th, I decided to start playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake and uploading everything to Youtube. I've been playing each chapter to familiarize myself with it then playing through a second time so I can get a really good run of the chapter. I don't like to upload just anything up there, if I don't feel that it looks good or it's not something I'm not already great at, then I don't upload it. Even though I get almost no views, it's not about the views as the videos are more for me than anything. The reason Youtube existed in the first place, to capture and display things that mean something to me not the millions of people who will throw as much trash up there and hope something sticks.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am just DLCing stuff and checking them out. From big hits like "The inquisitor" or Bioshock rip offs like
    "Hazel Skies". Otherwise looking at many RPGmaker stuff, which is like Amazing if not mentioned please go and play "Fear and Hunger 2" and just enjoy it. Just checked out if Sonic Dash again ( android ) could work, and of course my network settings messes that up ( because it keeps trying to connect ).
    There are also some nice OpenBOR makes out theree with 3d running simular to "Guardian Heroes" ( you literally could make a GH game in OpenBOR now.