Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP isn't going quite as swiftly as I expected. I got the Game Boy Color version to experience a familiar game in a slightly different way, but I wasn't hoping that would include more lag and slowdown, worse hit detection, and less room to maneuver. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by any of that, given that, in a lot of ways, this is like if they had made an NES port of Donkey Kong Country, and for a game that was late-ish for the SNES and a technological leap for the system, it's only natural that much weaker hardware would cause a downgrade to more than just the audio and visuals. So all the ways in which it controls and plays differently is making it harder for me. I can whiz through the SNES version at this point, but I've actually seen the Game Over screen quite a few times in this version, even as early as the second area. Thank goodness this version saves automatically after each stage because I think I'd really be struggling if I had to make it to Candy (or Funky) just to save. I'm up to the last stage of the fourth area, which I've already attempted a bunch of times. Any stage with a ton of tires is annoying because the timing to get a big bounce isn't the same as the SNES version, nor is the hit detection for staying on the tire versus slipping off.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm still chipping away at the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP since beating it. I think I have only two stages left where I haven't entered all the bonus rooms? I've cleared all of Candy's challenges, but I've still barely collected any stickers. I've also barely touched the bonus mini-games so far. I'm not sure if those count toward my percentage. If this were the SNES version, I'd probably be nearly at 101%, but I think I'm only around 80% right now. I've heard talk of a Lost World in this game, but I don't know how it unlocks. So far, Necky Nutmare midway through the final area is the only new stage I've seen.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I tried 100% the SNES version and I think I couldnt find a bonus roon on the first industrial stage. and its one of those games where I refuse to look at a FAQ for it.

another one I got hung up on is Donkey Kong Land. missed a bonus area on a couple stages. very difficult to find everything on those games

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You probably permanently missed a bonus room in Oil Drum Alley. There's a bonus room within a bonus room in that stage, the only one like it in the whole game, and you only get one shot to do it. You can reset the system, of course, but if you save after getting into the first of those two bonus rooms, without getting into the second, then you're screwed. I'm not sure if the later ports let you reattempt. I made sure to do it right on the first attempt in the GBC version.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

damn.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I missed that one my first time playing the game too.

Anyway, I'm not liking how the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country handles the added stickers. They lowered what the stages and bonus rooms are worth toward the percentage to shoehorn them in, and you have to beat the game to unlock the options to turn off DK barrels and checkpoint star barrels to access them all. So there are only 6 stickers in each mode (all barrels on, DK barrels off, and star barrels off; one sticker in each area), which makes it like finding a needle in a haystack to begin with. But the real kicker is what I learned when I tried turning off barrels. I figured, since you've beaten the game to unlock those options, you can jump into any stage with whichever barrels turned off, and if you have an FAQ to tell you which stages have stickers, you could gather the remaining stickers relatively quickly. But apparently, each mode is like a separate game, so they expect you to play through the whole game three times over to get 101%, which you could get playing through the SNES original just once. :/ Actually, I don't know if you can turn off both DK barrels and star barrels simultaneously and access 12 stickers in one playthrough, but then you're making the game significantly more difficult, which might take more time to play through than just playing through twice with only one type of barrel turned off per game. Either way, it's a ton of tedious busywork replaying a ton of stages that have nothing new in them just to access the rare few stages that have stickers added. It really highlights the difference between a reasonable amount of collecting/completion like in the SNES original versus how Rare went totally overboard by the time they got to this version in 2000. I mean, this was around when they were putting out stuff like Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini, where the collecting was taken to stupid extremes.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not putting in a lot of time at this point, but I'm still playing Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP. I'm up to Gorilla Glacier in my run with no DK barrels. It's harder than with the barrels, but it's not too bad since you always start every stage (whether from the beginning or at the checkpoint) with both Kongs. So you can still take one hit as you clear each half of a stage (or two if you find an animal buddy). I'm up to Gorilla Glacier. The worst is when I find a sticker and then have an entire area's worth of stages to clear before the next opportunity to find a sticker. In my no continue barrel run, I'm up to the first mine cart stage. I find that mode more annoying, since I think I get more deaths from falling down pits than enemies, and then every instant death sends me back to the beginning of the stage.