For the import alternative from the other week I played through the Japanese Mega CD version of Night Striker. People shit all over the MCD port of this but I'll defend it till my dying breath. At first it looks like a hot pixelated mess, but after just a few minutes of figuring out what's what visually (and changing the default controls) you can find some of the best scaling on the MCD. Seriously, Taito should have just lost the flying enemies and futuristic setting, recolored the road to look like asphalt, and they could have had a system seller because it's a damn fine engine for a racing game. Makes Jaguar XJ220 look like an SMS game.

And support for the Mega Drive analog controller? Never heard of such an animal.

For the lightgun game I played through Namco's Deadstorm Pirates (PS3) along with both Virtua Cops in Virtua Cop Rebirth (JP PS2). I read somewhere that Deadstorm Pirates is the Pirates of the Caribbean arcade game without the license, not sure if that's true. Good game; the few ship steering QTE's weren't too bad and I see myself going back to it regularly as a lightgun game where I can just turn my brain off and enjoy. No reloads, no cover system, just hold the trigger down and shoot.

Virtua Cop Rebirth is fantastic if you're a fan of the series. My only complaint is that this is one of those few games they insisted on making only compatible with the Guncon 2 (will not work with a PS1 Guncon) and there was absolutely ZERO reason to do this. None.