Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Android Assault: The Revenge of Bari-Arm for the SEGA CD has sort of a rocking soundtrack as well, IIRC. It's no Lords of Thunder though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Completed Soul Blazer (and spelled it right this time!)

I rented this game two separate times as a kid but couldn't manage to finish it either time. When I started collecting SNES games again about 10 years ago, this was one of the first titles I picked up and almost immediately sat down with it to give it a full playthrough. I've revisited it twice since then and in my head I still feel the pressure of trying to rip through it in a couple days' time, as if it's a rental. Weird how that works. Anyway, random thoughts time:

-All three of the games in this series have some memorable music. For this game, the main "town" music that changes to a brighter tune after you defeat each boss is probably my favorite. The music that plays when you're inside the painting or the model also creates a very surreal atmosphere. Illusion of Gaia has this one, and Terranigma has Top of Saint Mountain. Did I mention how much I love the music in this series?

-I'd swear that the title screen opening drum beat lags a bit, almost sounds like system is getting bogged down for just a moment. The music is still awesome.

-I love the little tips that the NPCs give to help you trigger a sequence, like "Please sit directly across from me and then talk to me" or "Can you please move so that I can let you pass?"

-The soldier that gets killed on the airship dock is named Dok. Dok!

-The developers got a bit lazy with the names of each area, which you never actually see unless you press start. "A ghost ship", "a torture chamber", etc. Lots of incorrect capitalization that I bet they intended to clean up later.

-It's very easy to level up for the final boss. Equip the Phoenix magic and head to the last room before the final boss. Two flipping mirror things will be on either side of you and a 3rd one above. Enter the room, wait 1/2 second, then swing your sword while facing north. Your sword will hit the two on the sides and the Phoenix will hit the one above, all for a ton of EXP. Leave the room and repeat.

-I've played through all three titles in this series but playing this game actually makes me want to revisit the two Actraiser titles more than anything.

-The hero's sword sounds like Maggie Simpson.

-Those purple LEDs at the bottom of the pic are my Wii sensor bar. It's USB-powered using a standard cellphone wall charger, so it's on whenever I switch on power to my gaming setup. I never noticed that they show up in pictures like that until just now!
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-16-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sweet monitor, jperryss

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Sweet monitor, jperryss
    Thanks! The image on this one has a bit of waviness on the left edge that I can't quite straighten out, but I managed to get it close enough that I hardly notice it anymore. I have it hooked up to a stereo shelf system that I bought used/open box and my systems are in a cabinet underneath the monitor.

Here's a pic in all its wood-paneling surrounded glory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/433791/pvm.jpg
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-15-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, that's pretty nice find. I was keeping an eye out for one like it a few years back.

On another note, I don't know why but I forgot that RPGs are worth 5 points. I was scratching my head for a minute when I looked at the totals.

BTW, celery', I sort of assumed that it was capped at just one point/game per week for the player's choice option, but can we earn additional points if we beat more than one game that meets that weeks criteria? Like, if I end Snow Bros. or something in the next few days, do I get another point? Again, I'm assuming no, but I figured it's worth confirming.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, that's pretty nice find. I was keeping an eye out for one like it a few years back.

On another note, I don't know why but I forgot that RPGs are worth 5 points. I was scratching my head for a minute when I looked at the totals.

BTW, celery', I sort of assumed that it was capped at just one point/game per week for the player's choice option, but can we earn additional points if we beat more than one game that meets that weeks criteria? Like, if I end Snow Bros. or something in the next few days, do I get another point? Again, I'm assuming no, but I figured it's worth confirming.
    Worth a shot, but no, only one player's choice per week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Heh, had to try.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Worth a shot, but no, only one player's choice per week.
    Heh, had to try.
    Haha! I was wondering something similar. 2 points for Thunder & Lightning (NES)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Earth Armor all the way! Your pic isn't working BTW.

That final stage can be tough and you don't have much time or space to dodge many of the obstacles. The reverse and vertical scrolling later in the stage is also a trip.

If you buy the max shield for the final boss stage and don't take too much of a beating on the first two bosses, for the final boss you can just about sit in his mouth and drop a couple bombs while swinging at him to finish him off.

This was one of the first games I ever played with rockin' CD audio and I still remember being absolutely blown away. I'm not very good at shooters but found this one to be approachable at Normal difficulty. Hard is pretty tough and I've only cleared it once. On Super, every enemy shoots bullets at you when they die.
    I used a mix of the armors based on internet advice, and I thought it was pretty fun and worked fine. Wind was particularly good on the level where so many enemies come from behind. Earth armor on the last.

So many things on point for the time period in this game: Soundtrack is awesome guitar thrashing, the sexy shopkeeper clearly wants my body, and the glorious hair at the end!

Picture should be working now. Was trying to share from Google Photos, since I'm taking these with my phone anyway, but it just doesn't seem to want to let me embed a picture like that. Back to photobucked, which I haven't logged into in a few years.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    So many things on point for the time period in this game: Soundtrack is awesome guitar thrashing, the sexy shopkeeper clearly wants my body, and the glorious hair at the end!
    My Japanese is a bit rusty but I think she says that in the PCE version.

(Just kidding, I have no idea what she's saying.)
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-16-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    The emulator is so easy I gave Legend a brief try, too. We'll see how that goes.
    I've given Legend (and its sequels) several chances in the past and tried again earlier this week to get into it. Maybe it's just my tastes, but the art style is a turn off and the engine itself plays too slow and clunky. No doubt my opinion is biased because the whole time I'm hoping it would magically transform into a Golden Axe sequel.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I've given Legend (and its sequels) several chances in the past and tried again earlier this week to get into it. Maybe it's just my tastes, but the art style is a turn off and the engine itself plays too slow and clunky. No doubt my opinion is biased because the whole time I'm hoping it would magically transform into a Golden Axe sequel.
    I played the SNES one for the first time yesterday and pretty much agree with you. If the main character moved a bit faster it could've been a different game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    I played the SNES one for the first time yesterday and pretty much agree with you. If the main character moved a bit faster it could've been a different game.
    I don't know how long I played before noticing you can block with a shield. And then I tried to use it and it is almost completely worthless. That could have made a big difference, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Legend works a whole lot better in co-op. I probably should've thought of that and gone with something more brisk like King of Dragons...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Legend works a whole lot better in co-op. I probably should've thought of that and gone with something more brisk like King of Dragons...
    I wouldn't worry about it. Much of the fun in this is giving something a fair shake that I probably wouldn't otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Damn it! I didn't know that I owned The Illusion of Gaia until just now. I just decided to look through my SNES game (I only have a few) and there it was, plain as day. I could have started this weeks ago! How many hours is this game about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Damn it! I didn't know that I owned The Illusion of Gaia until just now. I just decided to look through my SNES game (I only have a few) and there it was, plain as day. I could have started this weeks ago! How many hours is this game about?
    It's an action RPG, so significantly shorter than a traditional RPG. I'd say less than ten hours without a walkthrough, though it could probably be sped through pretty quickly with an FAQ and maps. Big thing is that health upgrades come not by collecting hearts, but by clearing all enemies from an area, which is rewarding, but takes a little time.

For the record, though, I'd dare to say it's one of the best games of its kind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll have at it then. For me the Completion Challenge acts as a motivation to play. The points are just icing. It'll be good to tackle a game I haven't tried before rather than just scoring easy points playing through games I've completely (literally) a hundred times over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So, in Illusion of Gaia, when you save your game and chose not to continue to play more, is it suppose to just hang on this scene in the Dark World, or what? Is this normal? Like, do you have to reset the game or something?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played through Alex Rider- Stormbreaker on the GBA. Some poop based on a license of some sort. One of those Disney straight-to-video things about a teen spy, I think. It's pretty wack. Tries to be some stealth kinda game but lacks A.I.

I tried Ace Lightning first but that thing was unplayable.
    Attached Images Attached Images