Da fuq?
    Long-running joke from my regular life.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Unfortunately, the whole title must be alliterated, so that one does not qualify this week. Sorry to be a downer on this one.
    What about sequals? I got a good way into fatal frame 2 thinking it would qualify. Also for Powers Stone 2 are we talking Arcade mode or Adventure Mode?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Fatal II is Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. The Crimson Butterfly part might invalidate it, assuming the II didn't, already, but maybe subtitles don't count? It would SUPER SUCK to get pretty far in a game like Fatal Frame II only to discover it's not kosher if that were the only reason you were playing it. On the bright side though, playing through any Fatal Frame game is a reward unto itself! And there are tons of games like Double Dragon and Marble Madness that you can run through in like a half hour or so to make up for it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Fatal II is Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. The Crimson Butterfly part might invalidate it, assuming the II didn't, already, but maybe subtitles don't count? It would SUPER SUCK to get pretty far in a game like Fatal Frame II only to discover it's not kosher if that were the only reason you were playing it. On the bright side though, playing through any Fatal Frame game is a reward unto itself! And there are tons of games like Double Dragon and Marble Madness that you can run through in like a half hour or so to make up for it.
    I was thinking the same about the subtitles. Double Dragon II: The Revenge was one of my ideas. I'm probably going to to Final Fight but may do FF2 or FF3 if the numbers are allowed.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Numbers are allowed, as are subtitles.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Numbers are allowed, as are subtitles.
    Good to hear. I've wanted to play Fatal Frame 2 for a while so this was a great excuse to start it. Wouldn't have been terribly upset if it didn't count because I'm always okay with beating Final Fight again; Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

In other news I finished Power Stone 2 Adventure Mode. Didn't do arcade mode but seems like the same thing only difference being the ability to bring in items in Adventure mode; which I didn't take advantage of since I do not currently have a VMU. I had never played a Power Stone game prior to this but being both a Fighting game fan, and fan of Sega consoles, I was looking forward to playing one. I was a little disappointed due to my high expectations but the game was still plenty of fun. While it may never be one of my favorite games it still seems like it could be a real blast to play with a group of friends. Could definitely see myself firing the game up again after a few drinks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PowerStone2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	10217

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Power Stone is ALL about multiplayer. I don't think I'd really want to touch it in single player, and there are only a handful of games I feel that way about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I enjoy the original well enough for one player, but Power Stone 2, yeah... all multi-player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Current standings

Here are the current points standings as of Monday, 3/13:

FieryReign-21

Super Fantasy Zone
    Street Fighter II
    Strider
    Pit Fighter
    QuackShot
    Rastan
    Alex Rider: Stormbreaker
    Snow White
    Illusion of Gaia (RPG)
    Galactic Attack
    That's so Raven 2
    Ranger X
    Bare Knuckle 3
    Burning Force
    Vice: Project Doom

RP2A03-17

Snow Bros
    Bucky O'Hare
    Guerrilla War
    Magic Sword
    Tiny Toon Adventures

Mega Man X
    Illusion of Gaia
    Wheel of Fortune starring Vanna White
    Kabuki Quantum Fighter
    Crystal's Pony Tail
    Bats & Terry

jperryss-15

Breakthru
    GrindStormer
    Duck Tales 2
    Guerrilla War
    Mega Man X
    Lords of Thunder
    Soul Blazer (RPG)
    Kabuki Quantum Fighter
    Metroid
    Monster Party

Scissors-15

Super Smash Bros for Wii U
    Road Runner
    Trap Gunner
    Strider

Bucky O'Hare
    Metal Storm
    Kabuki Quantum Fighter
    Red Alarm
    RayStorm
    Valis
    Burning Force
    Monster Party

Emperor Megas-15

Pocket Fighter
    Puyo Pop Fever
    Aladdin
    Insector X
    Target Earth
    Thunder Force II
    Black Tiger
    Kabuki Quantum Fighter
    Syd of Valis
    Monster Party
    Muramasa (RPG)

Cornelius-11

Space Invaders Extreme
    Duck Tales
    D
    Illusion of Gaia (RPG)
    Lords of Thunder
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Shantae and the Pirate's Risk

Az-8

Street Fighter II
    Pit Fighter
    TMNT Tournament Fighters
    Magic Sword
    Guerrilla War
    Psychic Force
    Alien Storm
    Super Final Fight Gold

biofall-3

Hotline Miami 2
    Power Stone 2

Some big shifts in the last few days in points. FieryReign scored his second consecutive sweep for the week, and Scissors scored a second as well. Emperor Megas became the first to clear the March RPG challenge, RP2A03 remained consistent while making progress on Muramasa, Cornelius keeps knocking out some more lengthly player's choice games, and biofall joined the competition. Good stuff everyone!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Just thought I'd pop in to say I'm still around. I had the flu last week, and not some lousy stomach virus, but full blown influenza. Too sick to even want to play games. I don't recommend it.

And I started my son on KOTOR, which inadvertently inspired me to play it again, too, so I'll probably be out of the points chase for a while. I'll be back, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flying through this weeks games. Finished Pocky and Rocky 2 early this morning. Had a blast with this game. I love the occasional top down shooter and bullet hell game, so this was right up my alley. However, I severely question the design choice of stage 8. A spy hunter style stage without strafing? I found myself struggling to shoot and dodge. Especially since the enemies on that stage are all in front of you but every time you dodge left or right you have to readjust. Works fine for the rest the game though due to your free movement. Overall a great game; a good challenge but the endless continues make it more than reasonable.

Name:	PockyRocky2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	10219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pockrock2.jpg 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	10218

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started to play Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 on gba for the players choice but I'm losing interest.

Finished Power Stone last year and have no desires to revisit it or the sequel.

Pocky and Rocky games ain't for me. Not being able to strafe ruins them. There's no excuse when the snes and gba had shoulder buttons.

Probably takin this week off. Been playing Axiom Verge on the pstv and'll probably focus on that. DS4 controller makes a huge difference. Maybe I'll download Dragon's Crown.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I started to play Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 on gba for the players choice but I'm losing interest.
    If bonus points were awarded for the amount of alliteration in the title, that one would be impossible to top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Almost made it...

Hey, all...

Just wanted to pop in here and note that I'm following this, but will have very little chance of completing anything. I'm an old dude with very little free time. I have access to most of the games that will be presented here, but have little time due to family, work, soccer coach, etc.

I made it to level 4-1 on Burning Force on MAME, and want to note that I will be following this thread as much as I can just to find new games. My problem is I literally I have access to about 10,000 games (no exaggeration) but I have little time to play them and even less time to investigate which game to play next.

I did enjoy playing Burning Force on Mame and made it up to level 4-1 but ultimately ran out of time.

Keep up the good work of suggesting new games, and my goal is to complete ONE of the games that is presented.
    Need. More. Games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have officially completed Fatal Frame 2 for this weeks players choice. I was super excited for the chance to play what is regarded as one of the greatest horror games of all time for the first time. Especially since I fell in love with the genre about 5 months ago when I was dealing with some major anxiety issues. Having a way to face fears in a way that was disconnected enough to not cause panic attacks was a huge help in recovering. So any opportunity to tackle a horror-great is incredibly exciting for me.

Fatal Frame 2 definitely lived up to expectations. The game had fantastic pacing, and of course a phenomenal setting. The game did horror in the "right way." By that I mean it relied on atmosphere and unsettling images to scare the player rather than throwing countless jump scares at them. I found myself enjoying the entire game and not just occasional tense moments.

Name:	FFrame2.jpg 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	10221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FatalFrame2.jpg 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	10220

I finished up this weeks games a little earlier than normal; Thanks largely to a blizzard and needing to adjust my sleep schedule for working midnights tomorrow(technically today but that's beside the point). Regardless of the reason for finishing quickly, I had a great time with this weeks games and am looking forward to next week. I may put some more time into Odin Sphere but I'm finding my motivation to continue with the game is dwindling. Starting to feel a little repetitive but I haven't fully lost hope in the game yet.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Name:	rad beat.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	10222

I BEAT A THING!!!

I beat Rad Racer on NES (obviously)
    its only taken 25 years but I never knew that it had a continue option until recently, didn't use a continue till track 8 and then I used ALOT

edit:
    I cant remember is it only one game beaten per category per week or could I do more alliteration games to add up on what I've already beaten?
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 03-15-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post

Name:	rad beat.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	10222

I BEAT A THING!!!

I beat Rad Racer on NES (obviously)
    its only taken 25 years but I never knew that it had a continue option until recently, didn't use a continue till track 8 and then I used ALOT

edit:
    I cant remember is it only one game beaten per category per week or could I do more alliteration games to add up on what I've already beaten?
    Holy hot damn! Welcome to the score board!

Only one game per player's choice. However, by Friday I'll have a late joiner ruling for new players taking on back weeks for a limited time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schenley View Post
    Hey, all...

Just wanted to pop in here and note that I'm following this, but will have very little chance of completing anything. I'm an old dude with very little free time. I have access to most of the games that will be presented here, but have little time due to family, work, soccer coach, etc.

I made it to level 4-1 on Burning Force on MAME, and want to note that I will be following this thread as much as I can just to find new games. My problem is I literally I have access to about 10,000 games (no exaggeration) but I have little time to play them and even less time to investigate which game to play next.

I did enjoy playing Burning Force on Mame and made it up to level 4-1 but ultimately ran out of time.

Keep up the good work of suggesting new games, and my goal is to complete ONE of the games that is presented.
    Glad you're having fun either way! Feel free to post in with any thoughts or completions regardless. I realize most of us are adults with families and jobs, so most games posted here can be beaten in 2 hours or less to make participating a little more reasonable. Anyhow, thanks for chiming in!

Biofall- nice on Fatal Frame II. How long did it run? I've only done the first one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Just thought I'd pop in to say I'm still around. I had the flu last week, and not some lousy stomach virus, but full blown influenza. Too sick to even want to play games. I don't recommend it.

And I started my son on KOTOR, which inadvertently inspired me to play it again, too, so I'll probably be out of the points chase for a while. I'll be back, though.
    Glad you're feeling better! You never know, KOTOR may end up meeting the criteria of a player's choice game. Anyway, take care!