celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Heavy Barrel - NES

Attachment 10306

The graphics look like an early NES game and the semi-automatic scrolling takes a bit of getting used to, but it all works pretty well. I found myself wishing the shot and grenade buttons were swapped even up to the end, couldn't get used to it for some reason. I'm going to check out the arcade version of this one the next time I feel like playing some arcade stuff.

Are there any 16-bit games like this that you guys recommend? Final Zone II and Red Alert are the only two that come to mind.
    Mercs on Genesis/Arcade for sure. On Neo Geo, Shock Troopers, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad, and Ninja Commando are all strong.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've been having a HORRIBLE month. TONS of drama. Work drama, family drama, friends drama, everything that can go badly has been. I haven't even visited this forum this month, until yesterday. Needless to say I haven't done any GCC gaming. The only gaming I did was showing a friend I visited last week the Nintendo Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. She ended up getting a Switch a few days later. We've played every (console) Mario Kart online since Mario Kart Wii.

Anyway, I'll try to force myself to put another point on the board before the week is up.

It's unfortunate that I didn't get to tackle an RPG last month, but the selection did spark my interest in Culcept games. I just don't know when I'll have the time to put any real time into any. This summer is going to be home improvement projects and work projects galore all summer long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I've been having a HORRIBLE month. TONS of drama. Work drama, family drama, friends drama, everything that can go badly has been. I haven't even visited this forum this month, until yesterday. Needless to say I haven't done any GCC gaming. The only gaming I did was showing a friend I visited last week the Nintendo Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. She ended up getting a Switch a few days later. We've played every (console) Mario Kart online since Mario Kart Wii.

Anyway, I'll try to force myself to put another point on the board before the week is up.

It's unfortunate that I didn't get to tackle an RPG last month, but the selection did spark my interest in Culcept games. I just don't know when I'll have the time to put any real time into any. This summer is going to be home improvement projects and work projects galore all summer long.
    If you decide to play some Culdcept, there's a new one coming out in August for 3DS in the US apparently. Portability can be a real bonus there.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Player's Choice: Akumajo Special - Boku Dracula-Kun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ads.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	10307

A bit too much trial-and-error gameplay for a cutesy game and some frustrating hang-time when you take damage, but I enjoyed this one. I'll admit that I had no idea what was going on with the mini-games most of the time, and I save state'd through the Q/A part since it wasn't in English and I couldn't read it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti complete. I normally wait until around Halloween to break this one out, but I can't think of a vampire game that I can beat quickly. Unless I'm spamming Simon's Quest. Do the bat bots in Mega Man count?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalian View Post
    Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti complete. I normally wait until around Halloween to break this one out, but I can't think of a vampire game that I can beat quickly. Unless I'm spamming Simon's Quest. Do the bat bots in Mega Man count?
    I kept thinking about that game while playing through mine. Both are "junior" versions of normally dark and graphic games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I still had my Darkstalkers Collection out from last week, I button mashed my way through Vampire Hunter 2 for player's choice this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 25

Nice wins coming in toward the end of the week! Sorry I've been behind on the scoreboard posts. It's been kinda chaotic here with some deaths and medical situations. I'll catch it up shortly! Anyhow, new week, new games.

-In the Hunt (PS1, Saturn, Arcade) As a tip, the PS1 version running on a PS3 is the smoothest way to play I've found with the least slowdown.

-Wizard Fire (Arcade, Wii)

-Player's choice: pick any game that uses live action FMV, whether as the whole game or as cutscenes between stages. Examples might include X-Files, Psychic Detective, Night Trap, Space Pirates, Mad Dog McCree, Command & Conquer, Wing Commander III, Fox Hunt, Combat Queen, etc.

-The World Ends With You is the sadly neglected June RPG.

-Import Alternative: L-Dis (PC Engine CD)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Father's Day everyone!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept thinking about that game while playing through mine. Both are "junior" versions of normally dark and graphic games.

Yeah. Kid Dracula on Game Boy is the version I have. I played it about 4 months ago and didn't feel like re-doing it. It's just tough finding a quick game with vampires. Castlevania games take too much time, Final Fantasy and Illusion of Gaia are Rpg's, I don't care for Legacy of Kain, etc. What are you going to do, play Dirge of Cerberus?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wizard Fire complete. That Data East collection has gotten pricy! I can't think of a FMV game that I own, although I'm sure SOMETHING in my 3DO collection qualifies. Too busy to pull them out and try something that might end up being too tedious to complete. Your game made me think of Baldur's Gate mixed with a little bit of Gauntlet thrown in. Pretty fun and not too long. Good choice!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It Came From the Desert and The 7th Guest were the only two FMV games I could think of that I had, but I don't have the will to play through either of those this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalian View Post
    Wizard Fire complete. That Data East collection has gotten pricy! I can't think of a FMV game that I own, although I'm sure SOMETHING in my 3DO collection qualifies. Too busy to pull them out and try something that might end up being too tedious to complete. Your game made me think of Baldur's Gate mixed with a little bit of Gauntlet thrown in. Pretty fun and not too long. Good choice!
    Nice! Wizard Fire actually a sequel to Gate of Doom, which you may also dig!

For the FMV challenge, it can be between-stage cutscenes as well; it doesn't have to be the whole deal. May be worth picking up that copy of Omega Boost or something!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the player's choice I did Wheel of Fortune (N64).

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 26

Here we are, half-way through the year, so time for new games!

-Giga Wing (Arcade, Dreamcast)

-Yo! Noid (NES)

-Player's choice: Pick any game published by Tecmo. Examples might include Rygar, Wild Fang, Star Force, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Mighty Bomb Jack, Solomon's Key, etc.

-RPG of the Month: Welp, looks like nobody took up The World Ends With You.

-Import alternative: Night Striker (Arcade, Mega CD, PS1, Saturn)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Just as an aside, if you have any fondness for super scaler stuff like Space Harrier or After Burner, just play Night Striker already. The Saturn version is probably best if you have it, but the PS2 arcade emulation is perfect, and the PS1 is no slouch. The Mega CD plays well with shit graphics, but has a sweet arranged soundtrack by Zuntata.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    RPG of the Month: Welp, looks like nobody took up The World Ends With You.
    I just started playing this based on your recommendation, but it's way too late for me to expect to finish it by the end of the month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I just started playing this based on your recommendation, but it's way too late for me to expect to finish it by the end of the month.
    I really hope you like it! It's just very different as RPGs go, and you can handily beat the game whether you embrace its complex fashion, food, and other systems by getting a feel for the combat. I personally hate micro-managing and sifting through menus, so I completely ignored the fashion stuff and had a blast with it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Yo! Noid today. Not great, but not bad. The pizza eating contests seemed kinda pointless.

I've had Night Striker on PS1 for years, but never played it. I think I'll give it a try this week.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Just popping in to say that I played a good chunk of TWEWY a few months after it came out. Really enjoyed it, but I did get bogged down with some of the extra mechanics. And then I was away for a couple weeks and couldn't find my place. I'd have another go, but ignore the clothes and a lot of the pin options.

And now that I've wrapped up Zelda, I hope to be back for some completions. Tomorrow. maybe.