Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Well still the mame game i was thinking of was comic based oh well
    Was it one of the Power Battles/Fighters games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not even sure it counts but I plowed thru Quack Shot earlier this week. Not based on a particular cartoon but it has DD and some of the Ducktales crew.

I suck at Granada. Could only make it to level 7 on normal with 3 lives(default is easy). It would be 20x better with twin stick controls. Didn't really give my best efforts though. Pretty simple bland graphics but one of the bosses has some pretty smooth rotational effects. The music pumps with those handclap-snares.

Didn't bother with Rooms because I hate sliding tile puzzles with a fuming passion.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by FieryReign; 01-28-2017 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quackshot counts.

I'm not much of a puzzle game player myself, but I liked Rooms, mainly because of its point and click adventure elements. No puzzle games next week, though, unless through player's choice.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Was it one of the Power Battles/Fighters games?
    No the mame one wasn't mega Man.

Cadillacs and dinosaurs

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TMNT.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	10176

After a few test runs I managed to 1CC the Tournament Mode of SNES TMNT: Tournament Fighters with Cyber Shredder. I had never played this one before but always heard heaps of praise on it since its release. I can see why, it's definitely a solid console original fighter. For SNES fighters it's in the top 5 alongside Fighter's History and World Heroes 2 but as a whole it's no better than any other B-tier arcade releases of the time. The AI isn't varied (often getting stuck in the same routines) and performs throws and crossups that you couldn't pull off to save your life. I also think it would had benefited greatly from a 6 button setup rather than a 4. Too many characters have a jab punch with a eensey weensey hitbox just barely outside of the character, then their fierce punch goes 1/4 of the screen.

I had long quit paying attention to TMNT by the time this was released but was baffled at some of these character choices. There's the 4 turtles, Shredder, and .... uh...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through Bucky O Hare for Player's Choice this week as well.

I'm still playing Ogre Battle too, but I can say with certainty that I won't be finishing by the end of the month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Great wins! I'll post the new games in a bit. Turns out my being under the weather this week spiraled into pneumonia and an upper respiratory tract infection, so all I did all week was work and try to rest. When I got off this morning I went to the doctor since I was still feeling rotten, and that's how I learned it was pneumonia. But, hey, now I've got antibiotics, so I should be better soon. I'll get the new week games up in about half an hour, and I'll post updated points tomorrow. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 5

Okay, new week, new games! Lots of good scoring happened last week!

-Guerrilla War (Arcade, NES, PSP)

-Magic Sword (Arcade, SNES, PS2, Xbox, PSP)

-Player's coice: pick a game whose title includes the word "Adventure." Examples might include Adventure Time games, Adventure Island games, the Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, etc.

-Just a few days left for Ogre battle. Will Scissors squeak it in? Will a dark horse pop up and get the points as well?

The next RPG will be posted Feb. 1st. Go beat some games!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-29-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Urgh! As much as I like them, I don't think I've ever never ended Guerilla War, or Magic sword! I can't think of an easy Adventure title either, so you're killing me this week. ^_^

I'm going on a trip Georgia for a week, so I guess I'll bring the PSP. I also love any excuse to navigate documents with the Find function. So, let's see games with 'adventure' in the title I have...

BTW, I played Granada a little and I would have LOVED this game back in the day. I think I'll try it with Genesis arcade stick. I almost never used that thing, but I think Granada is suited for it. Being a SEGA fanboy and a big shooter fan, I can't believe I missed out on this game in it's heyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Current standings

Ok, went through the thread to verify completed games and posts, so, as long as I didn't miss something, here are the standings:

Scissors-6

Super Smash Bros.
    Road Runner
    Trap Gunner
    Strider

Bucky O'Hare

FieryReign-5

Super Fantasy Zone
    Street Fighter II
    Strider
    Pit Fighter
    QuackShot

Emperor Megas-3

Pocket Fighter
    Puyo Pop Fever
    Aladdin

jperryss-3

Breakthru
    Grind Stormer
    Duck Tales 2

Az-3

Street Fighter II
    Pit Fighter
    TMNT Tournament Fighters

RP2A03-2

Snow Bros.
    Bucky O'Hare

Cornelius-1

Space Invaders Extreme

Bold highlighting indicates that all three games from a given week were completed, earning a bonus point.

If you think I missed something, let me know. I believe this is accurate as of today. I hope everyone's having fun putting some games down and trying a few new ones!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-29-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Urgh! As much as I like them, I don't think I've ever never ended Guerilla War, or Magic sword! I can't think of an easy Adventure title either, so you're killing me this week. ^_^

I'm going on a trip Georgia for a week, so I guess I'll bring the PSP. I also love any excuse to navigate documents with the Find function. So, let's see games with 'adventure' in the title I have...

BTW, I played Granada a little and I would have LOVED this game back in the day. I think I'll try it with Genesis arcade stick. I almost never used that thing, but I think Granada is suited for it. Being a SEGA fanboy and a big shooter fan, I can't believe I missed out on this game in it's heyday.
    Glad you dug Granada! I always felt like it was sorely under the radar. Just a tip on PSP Guerrilla War-the controls are broken without a rotary stick. It uses the shoulder buttons to cycle through positions, and it feels laggy to me at that. If you're used to the arcade feel, it'll probably piss you off. It drove me to buy a pcb for the game to run in my Time Soldiers cabinet when I'm in the mood. The NES version, while changed up a bit, is really pretty dynamite.

Have a safe trip!

Edit: Magic Sword is on one of the Capcom Classicvs UMDs on PSP for the arcade version if you're gonna be on the go. Just remember about that special attack that drains your life this time!
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-29-2017 at 03:17 PM.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just finished Guerilla War (NES). It was fun, but with unlimited continues it's not particularly challenging unless you are going for a 1CC. I beat it using eight continues, which I guess is not bad for a game I never played before.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Just a tip on PSP Guerrilla War-the controls are broken without a rotary stick. It uses the shoulder buttons to cycle through positions, and it feels laggy to me at that.
    I know I mentioned it once before in the Time Soldiers thread but M2 really dropped the ball on the controls for the PSP versions of SNK rotary shooters, which otherwise are awesome. Using the shoulder buttons to rotate is just too slow. I appreciate them putting in the ability to just automatically shoot the way your facing, but there's no reason for them to not allow face buttons to be used as a 2nd d-pad substitute. Most every other dual stick game (like FPSs) are shoehorned into the PSP using the face buttons as a 2nd stick so why not these? You'd think they'd at least try that control scheme for one of the dozen or so games they did.

It feels even worse when you're playing these on a Vita and you're 2nd analog stick is just sitting there useless. Many PSP FPS games I found unplayable work just fine on Vita by mapping the 2nd stick to emulate face buttons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm really glad that we're doing this game challenge because I'm learning just how much of my shit DOESN'T WORK and needs to be replaced/repaired.

So, I take out my PSPs which I haven't played in years now, and I charge up the PSP-3000 (which I've only played less than one battery's worth of times probably since owning it) and after I plug it in for a few hours to charge I go to check the battery's charge level and it only shows that it's externally powered. It doesn't even show the battery life at all. So I unplug it and it dies outright. THE BATTER IS COMPLETELY DEAD!

Now, I purchased this system second hand, so I don't know how much usage it's had before I owned it. It was an AMAZING find in a local thrift store that I knew the owner of. It's the red PSP-3000 God of War Edition, complete in box with all of the extra pack-ins and two 4GB memory sticks, and one 1GB memory stick. I got it all for like $20, so I'm not really too bummed about having to change the battery.

Anyway, I opened it up and the battery looks like it was an after market one. It's not SONY branded so it's probably Hong Kong crap. I wouldn't be bothered by that though if it were for the fact that my original fat PSP1000's SONY battery stopped holding a charge YEARS ago. All of my PS3 controllers have dead batteries and now I discover that both of my PSP do as well? What is it with me and SONY shit!? I wanted to take my PSP on my vacation and get some Challenge points, but it looks like that plan's kaput now. FML.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, did I mention the PSP won't detect my new router? The first thing I tried to do was update the firmware and see if I could use this 5+ year old download code for Patapon 2 that I bought for $3 or something and forgot about (BTW, why do they sell physical retail cases for games that are download only?).

Shooooo, I go into the PSP network settings and try to search for my router, and...nothing. I try to enter the SSID manually, and again, nada. I do I quick online search and learn that the PSP doesn't work with WPA2, so I have to fish out another router or jimmy my current one's settings, and I'm just not in the mood now since I've got to pack, and I can't use the damn thing without it being plugged into the wall anyway. Urgh!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    the PSP doesn't work with WPA2, so I have to fish out another router or jimmy my current one's settings
    If you do this, be sure to isolate any non WPA2 clients from your network either by setting up a VLAN or by using another router. You will not be able to prevent unauthorized use of your internet connection, but it will keep outsiders away from your personal files.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably just going to use another router.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I completed the arcade version of Magic Sword on PSP Monday night. I started off the night before playing it a bit with the Capcom Classics Collection but ended up switching over to the CPS1 PSP emulator for the extra video and control options.

Magic Sword was always a cool game to me. I played it a bit back during its arcade run and it came off as a solid action title with well done asthetics and geared for fast paced gameplay. Main thing I remember about it was it being a very loud game. Seems there's always something whooping and hollering and that very loud, unique twinkle sound that happens when you pick up a gold coin seems like a very Capcomy-type sound found in CPS games. I always wanted either the ninja or lizardman as a partner because as a kid in the early ninties what the hell else would I have chosen?

I hadn't played this in years and never devoted more than a credit or two's worth of time until I ran through it when I bought Final Fight Double Impact for 360. IMO it's a fun little arcade title that might not hold hours and hours worth of deep gameplay but was definitely worth slapping a few quarters in back in the day. I'd like to hear about the SNES port from someone familiar with the arcade version.

I never played it in 2 player but I could see that adding a lot to the experience. If anyone needs a co-op partner to run through the 360 version just send me a message.
    Last edited by Az; 01-31-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I completed the arcade version of Magic Sword on PSP Monday night. I started off the night before playing it a bit with the Capcom Classics Collection but ended up switching over to the CPS1 PSP emulator for the extra video and control options.

Magic Sword was always a cool game to me. I played it a bit back during its arcade run and it came off as a solid action title with well done asthetics and geared for fast paced gameplay. Main thing I remember about it was it being a very loud game. Seems there's always something whooping and hollering and that very loud, unique twinkle sound that happens when you pick up a gold coin seems like a very Capcomy-type sound found in CPS games. I always wanted either the ninja or lizardman as a partner because as a kid in the early ninties what the hell else would I have chosen?

I hadn't played this in years and never devoted more than a credit or two's worth of time until I ran through it when I bought Final Fight Double Impact for 360. IMO it's a fun little arcade title that might not hold hours and hours worth of deep gameplay but was definitely worth slapping a few quarters in back in the day. I'd like to hear about the SNES port from someone familiar with the arcade version.

I never played it in 2 player but I could see that adding a lot to the experience. If anyone needs a co-op partner to run through the 360 version just send me a message.
    I am a huge fan of the SNES port. Made it GOTD once last year, as it gets a playthrough pretty much every year. Bad news is that it only supports one player. Good news is, it has some small differences to make it enough to warrant play, and uses a credit limit, which makes beating it feel like more of an accomplishment. I wouldn't pay an insane amount of money for it, but it's definitely worth a go if you have access to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just finished Magic Sword for the SNES. I nearly 1CC'd it but the final boss got me.