Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Game Completion Challenge

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Just finished Magic Sword for the SNES. I nearly 1CC'd it but the final boss got me.

Nice! How'd you like it?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Nice! How'd you like it?
    I found it to be quite enjoyable.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

On the 360 version there's an achievement that has to do with the hidden levels in Magic Sword. What's the deal with those, do they warp you ahead to skip certain levels or are they just alternate paths with the same amount of levels in the end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    On the 360 version there's an achievement that has to do with the hidden levels in Magic Sword. What's the deal with those, do they warp you ahead to skip certain levels or are they just alternate paths with the same amount of levels in the end?
    There are hidden staircases and doors that can open alternate stages and warps.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWar.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	10179

Sunday night I managed to slog through this with a mountain of credits on the PSP port. The control issues really became apparent about halfway through the first level. Auto aim (shooting in the direction you're facing) is virtually useless since the game scrolls upwards so 2/3 of the time you need to be shooting straight up. However you've got to constantly move in all directions to avoid enemy fire, so most situations with manual aim you're forced between dodging or shooting, but not both. Manual aiming works but as mentioned before doesn't turn fast enough. This is made worse by an odd glitch where when you respawn and are in your few seconds of flashing invincibility hitting the shoulder buttons causes it to go apeshit, detecting many more button presses than what you actually did.

So... is it just the PSP version or is the last boss an invisible off-screen rooftop menace that you never see? All I saw was a mountain of grenades thrown off the "king's" palace when I got close to the steps. I honestly thought the game had glitched up but after a few minutes of blind fire the right grenades quit, then the left.

Does the ending purposely have a bullet take you out only respawn and clip through the palace walls? Does a real arcade board or a better emulated version also sometimes display this "PLEASE WRITE" (wait) message like in the above picture?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWar.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	10179

Sunday night I managed to slog through this with a mountain of credits on the PSP port. The control issues really became apparent about halfway through the first level. Auto aim (shooting in the direction you're facing) is virtually useless since the game scrolls upwards so 2/3 of the time you need to be shooting straight up. However you've got to constantly move in all directions to avoid enemy fire, so most situations with manual aim you're forced between dodging or shooting, but not both. Manual aiming works but as mentioned before doesn't turn fast enough. This is made worse by an odd glitch where when you respawn and are in your few seconds of flashing invincibility hitting the shoulder buttons causes it to go apeshit, detecting many more button presses than what you actually did.

So... is it just the PSP version or is the last boss an invisible off-screen rooftop menace that you never see? All I saw was a mountain of grenades thrown off the "king's" palace when I got close to the steps. I honestly thought the game had glitched up but after a few minutes of blind fire the right grenades quit, then the left.

Does the ending purposely have a bullet take you out only respawn and clip through the palace walls? Does a real arcade board or a better emulated version also sometimes display this "PLEASE WRITE" (wait) message like in the above picture?
    Nah, that's glitchy. If I have time this weekend, I'll hook up my actual pcb in my Time Soldiers cab and see if I can snap a few pics. That PSP port is infuriating for sure.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Well I finally figured out what the issue is with the minis version of Guerilla War.

All of the other 8-way shooters in SNK's mini lineup have two display options; original and stretched. Original has the screen centered pillarboxed by marquee art. Stretched removes the marquee art and increases the horizontal size by just a tiny bit. That is, all of them but Guerilla War (and Chopper I).

For some reason on those two the Original setting has the same pillarboxing but zooms the screen into a nearly square image that cuts off the top and bottom of the screen. The final boss was in the cut area, and the "please write" message was actually a high score initial entry message.

Stretched displays the whole screen, but for some reason elongates it into a tiny ribbon. It honestly looks like a 16:9 image turned vertically and displayed on a horizontal 16:9 monitor. In other words, unplayable shit. I don't remember if this on SNK Arcade Classics Vol 0 has the same issues but I'd assume so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default February RPG

Well, January came and went, and it occurs to me that Ogre Battle might've been a bit much right out of the gate. So, for Fwbruary, let's knee-jerk to a simpler direction.

-Any one of Quintet's Heaven and Earth trilogy games on SNES. These include SoulBlazer/Blader, The Illusion of Gaia/Time, and Tenchi Souzo/Terranigma. All are great, relatively quick action/RPGs. Score some points.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 02-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Any one of Quintet's Heaven and Earth trilogy games on SNES. These include SoulBlazer/Blader, The Illusion of Gaia/Time, and Tenchi Souzo/Terranigma. All are great, relatively quick action/RPGs. Score some points.
    Any chance you could add Granstream Saga to the list? I've heard that it has some similarities to these games and some of the same staff worked on it.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the players choice, I did Tiny Toon Adventures (NES). I was well on my way to a 1CC, but then I got slaughtered on the last stage.

Any one of Quintet's Heaven and Earth trilogy games on SNES. These include SoulBlazer/Blader, The Illusion of Gaia/Time, and Tenchi Souzo/Terranigma. All are great, relatively quick action/RPGs. Score some points.
    I love me some Heaven an Earth trilogy, especially Terranigma. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give Terranigma the time I would like to so I will probably try The Illusion of Gaia.

Now, I do have a question: Is it okay to use certain kinds of patches? Obviously, I would expect anything like ROM hacks and cheats to be forbidden, but what about things like Terranigma's 60 Hz patch or the font patch that makes the text easier to read? How about translation patches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

For the players choice, I did Tiny Toon Adventures (NES). I was well on my way to a 1CC, but then I got slaughtered on the last stage.

I love me some Heaven an Earth trilogy, especially Terranigma. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give Terranigma the time I would like to so I will probably try The Illusion of Gaia.

Now, I do have a question: Is it okay to use certain kinds of patches? Obviously, I would expect anything like ROM hacks and cheats to be forbidden, but what about things like Terranigma's 60 Hz patch or the font patch that makes the text easier to read? How about translation patches?
    Translation patches are just fine, as are fonts and the 60Hz for PAL/NTSC, as none are cheats or make the game run faster than it should, just making it run correctly on regional hardware.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Guerilla War (NES)

This is one I'd never played before and it feels like a fast-paced version of Ikari Warriors. It got a bit repetitive towards the end so I turned it into a game of Shoot The Hostages.

I bet it plays like a different game with the original two-joystick controls. Is the arcade version considered the best? I'd like to check it out at some point.

Also, Che died a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Guerilla War (NES)

This is one I'd never played before and it feels like a fast-paced version of Ikari Warriors. It got a bit repetitive towards the end so I turned it into a game of Shoot The Hostages.

I bet it plays like a different game with the original two-joystick controls. Is the arcade version considered the best? I'd like to check it out at some point.

Also, Che died a lot.
    Well, the original isn't a twin stick shooter, but rather uses rotary joysticks that move like regular 8-way sticks, but twist at the top to click into different firing positions, allowing you to walk and shoot in different directions. As far as being the definitive version, it definitely has better graphics, and the control can't be replicated, but the NES version is still pretty highly regarded and is longer. It really is the successor to the Ikari line, which also used those rotary sticks, as did a nice handful of other games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Well, the original isn't a twin stick shooter, but rather uses rotary joysticks that move like regular 8-way sticks, but twist at the top to click into different firing positions, allowing you to walk and shoot in different directions. As far as being the definitive version, it definitely has better graphics, and the control can't be replicated, but the NES version is still pretty highly regarded and is longer. It really is the successor to the Ikari line, which also used those rotary sticks, as did a nice handful of other games.
    Interesting! Never seen that setup before and had to look up a pic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Interesting! Never seen that setup before and had to look up a pic.
    If you'd like any more info, let me know! I have a cabinet that uses them, the instruction manual for the sticks, and even a spare set out of any cab, so I can probably get you any info you'd want to know in that regard!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    Any chance you could add Granstream Saga to the list? I've heard that it has some similarities to these games and some of the same staff worked on it.
    Well, it's debatable how tied to the SNES games Granstream was, but sure. I think some people lump it in with them (even HG101).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Week 6

Looks like a lot of folks realized just how shitty Guerrilla War was treated on PSP last week... but it sure is fun on NES and arcade. Anyway, new week, new games!

-Rastan (Arcade, Master System, PS2, Xbox)

-Any Psychic Force fighter (not the PS1 puzzle game) (Arcade, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2) including the game based on the anime X on PS1.

-Player's choice: pick any game whose title ends in a single letter. Examples might include Maken X, Makeruna Makendou Z, Wonder Project J, Mega Man X, etc.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

hes gone nearly full taito!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started Illusion of Gaia today and I am presently in Itory Village.

Also, I hate this gem:

Seriously though, blast this goddamn gem. I spent ten minutes walking in an out of the cave before that noodle armed fisherman managed to pull the pot out of the water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I started Illusion of Gaia today and I am presently in Itory Village.

Also, I hate this gem:

Seriously though, blast this goddamn gem. I spent ten minutes walking in an out of the cave before that noodle armed fisherman managed to pull the pot out of the water.
    Yeah, it's an obnoxious one. The payoff for getting them all is super cool for fans of the prior game!