This is a bizarre issue that I doubt I can find answers for anywhere online. Normally everything is all about fixing the floppy drive with a belt replacement and calibrating the head afterwards. My FDS' floppy drive still runs perfectly. This issue has happened just suddenly during use. The console is not operating the floppy drive correctly. The activity LED stays illuminated even if the disk card is ejected. That lamp shouldn't ever be on when the disk card is ejected because there can't possibly be I/O without a card inserted; it doesn't make any sense. Inserting a card has no effect. Here's the weirdest part: if I push against the lower part of the diskette slot and hold it there, which internally pushes the entire floppy drive assembly back like 2mm perhaps, the FDS runs properly. Obviously this is not practical. I can't play it and keep it right in front of me to put pressure there to make sure the disk reads. I've looked around inside, no obvious loose wires or excessively tight wires either. I can't visually identify why pushing the drive back ever-so-slightly makes it work.

It seems like something stupid or trivial is at fault and it would be easy to fix if I had a clue what the hell it was. Anyone have any ideas?