Thread: I'm so done with current gen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm so done with current gen!

Sorry to unload a rant, but I'm so done with my PS4! Every single time I want to play a game, I have to sit through new update uploads, either from the OS, or the game I want to play (the last game I purchased, the 'update' was 6G! literally an entire new game!). This is getting insane, and so many times, I shut the whole thing off and just plug in my Gamecube, PS1 or SNES and play something else. Additionally, all the new games I have purchased have no content whatsoever and are multi-player/online only. I mean, how can they sell $60 with no content? And even if I go and play online (which I'm not a fan) the content is still limited and not worth what I paid for. What is going on? I have the feeling that the whole AAA game industry is just shooting itself in the foot. Sorry for my rant, but has anyone experienced this amount of frustration with current gen systems? I'm I getting too old to appreciate what these systems have to offer?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel View Post
    Sorry to unload a rant, but I'm so done with my PS4! Every single time I want to play a game, I have to sit through new update uploads, either from the OS, or the game I want to play (the last game I purchased, the 'update' was 6G! literally an entire new game!). This is getting insane, and so many times, I shut the whole thing off and just plug in my Gamecube, PS1 or SNES and play something else. Additionally, all the new games I have purchased have no content whatsoever and are multi-player/online only. I mean, how can they sell $60 with no content? And even if I go and play online (which I'm not a fan) the content is still limited and not worth what I paid for. What is going on? I have the feeling that the whole AAA game industry is just shooting itself in the foot. Sorry for my rant, but has anyone experienced this amount of frustration with current gen systems? I'm I getting too old to appreciate what these systems have to offer?
    I'm with you all the way. There are good games to be had, I'm sure, but all of the updating, DLC, and online focus just aren'tthe things I enjoy about playing. I just want to play my games, and I want to still be able to play them in ten years. I want to have the option for couch multi-player, even if by LAN. I can accept that I'm dated, but the goal of modern creators to be artistic and break multi-player online ground is often coming at the cost of fun and accessibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got EVE Valkyrie VR and after having to wait more that 45mns for a game update (the upload file was 6G!) I played and realized how shallow the whole thing was. There is barely any content in the game! I'm an indie dev myself and I spend so much time creating content for my games, it's like these AAA companies don't even care anymore. After playing Eve for 30mns, I got so pissed, I plugged in my Gamecube and spent the rest of the night playing Rogue Leader. The same thing happened to several games I played on my PS4, no content whatsoever.

Your point is also right on target, we'll never be able to play those games anymore - the update for Eve Valkyrie was 6G, which means I had to upload a totally new game and most of the data on my original disk was probably not even used. Companies go down (as we all know) so this will be lost in 10 or 20 years...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, you could do like I did and abandon mainstream modern gaming and go full-on niche, haha. My favorite modern system is the Vita, and my favorite modern games to play are visual novels. With what I play, the games don't tend to be huge in file size in the first place, and they don't have frequent nor massive updates. And I don't have to worry about being forced to play online or with others. Today's AAA games just don't interest me at all. Between retro games and modern niche games, I'm perfectly satisfied.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I guess I'm the odd one out, so far atleast. As of right now I think the PS1 and PS2 have the most quality libraries of all time, but with three more years of life left at least, I think the PS4 has the potential to surpass both consoles when it comes to a quality library. At the end of its life it might not have quantity or quality of a certain genre(JRPG/infact I guarantee it won't,) and it might not have the quantity of retail titles that PS2 has but I think there's very high potential the overall quality will surpass what's available on PS1 and PS2.

I do agree there's too many patches and such now days, so you really have to expect the game unpatched as what you'll be playing in the future. This is the reason I don't buy anything from a major third party dev like Activision/Bethesda/Ubisoft/etc until there's a complete version, and if there's not a complete version, there's websites like Digital Foundry determine whether you should even bother picking the game up or not. That being said, I think Watch Dogs is better than just about every GTA and GTA clone on the PS2 aside from Scarface the World is Yours. I haven't played GTA San Andreas, though, so I don't know about that one. I'm interested in Watch Dogs 2, but I'm still waiting for a potential complete edition before I pick it up. GTA5 has a over 30GB in patches, but the patches are only for GTA Online, so you're still buying a complete game. I'm using Watch Dogs as an example because that's one game that a lot of people feel is just an average title to point out how much better the genre has become since the PS2(something that you can extend to other genres based on other games that have came out.)

If they're on disc, most indie games and Japanese games are complete as you get them though. There are exceptions of course. Final Fantasy 15(which you shouldn't purchase in the first place) is an incomplete game that Square Enix has been throwing patches at trying to fix. Unless they patch in a good story, side content that isn't horsesh*t, and completely rework the gameplay, there's nothing that can be done but whatever. As a fan of White Knight Chronicles 2, I was actually interested in buying Sword Arts Online Hollow Realization, but hearing that it had a patch less than a month after release that added 20 hours of content and then later on finding more patches were released adding new dungeons, new bosses, etc, I probably won't be getting this unless there's some sort of complete edition released, which I'm doubting is going to happen. Tekken 7 was going to be a day one purchase for me because I'm a fan of the franchise, because of the DLC that they have planned, looks like I'll be sticking to Tekken Tag Tournament 2 unless there's a complete edition lined up in the future. You just have to look into what you're buying. Sometimes you might purchase a game that you didn't know was online only, which happened to me with Warhammer Vermintide which I'll probably never play now. Or games that you know are online only but you bought and enjoyed them anyways(Destiny was fun, but it'll be a coaster in the near future.)

One thing to consider is that on past gen consoles there were far more sh*t shovelware games on consoles and as collectors, there's a bit of relief knowing that most of these sh*t games are digital only. Either that or they're released as LRG(badumtsh.) I'm kidding, well, sort of. Their quality is really all over the place and it seems they just take what they can get. But back to what I was getting at. With games this gen, you don't have to worry so much as whether the game will be bad or not, now you have to worry whether it'll be patched all to hell or not, and with that, I'll just echo mostly just stay away from major publishers until a complete edition releases.

I don't buy anything I don't think I'll consider good and games I do buy but don't enjoy(after giving them a decent chance of course,) I sell off. Just as every past gen, I want every game in my collection one that I can grab and enjoy playing. I've sold some off here and there, but right now I have over 100+ physical PS4 releases, so a good number when I consider all the ones I've played are atleast good games.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-25-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I haven't heard of any single player PS4 games that require an internet connection to play. I haven't even heard of any PS4 single player games that are unplayable without a patch. PS4 consoles do not require an internet connection at all in order to operate.

Every patch/update I've ever heard of for PS4 games was for online features.
    Personally I don't play online, so I've never connected a console to the internet. Not once.

You connect your console to the internet and then complain about the results? I don't understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I haven't heard of any single player PS4 games that require an internet connection to play. I haven't even heard of any PS4 single player games that are unplayable without a patch. PS4 consoles do not require an internet connection at all in order to operate.

Every patch/update I've ever heard of for PS4 games was for online features.
    Personally I don't play online, so I've never connected a console to the internet. Not once.

You connect your console to the internet and then complain about the results? I don't understand.
    Destiny, Warhammer Vermintide, Elder Scrolls Online, The Crew, and Paragon are online only. Those are the only ones I know of. Every other game except for Warhammer Vermintide has on the front of the box that internet is required in some wording or another. When selling the game through retailers, it's a bit bs that they don't advertise this on the front of the box like everyone else does, they try to hide it somewhere on the back of the box, hoping players either open and they're unable to return it because it's in that really small section on the back of the box where it tells how many players are available, if it has online multiplayer etc, almost the smallest letting on the box. I'm unable to bring it back because I didn't see it until months later when I was about to take the wrapper off and play it for the first time, too late to actually return it.

That being said, there's few that are online only and few that require massive patches outside a few of the major publishers. And even when there are patches, most games will work perfectly fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Most games are released knowing that they'll have a patch available on the day of launch. I'd bought a used copy of Resistance 3 that won't work without a patch and even then there was a glitch that wouldn't allow it to work on older model PS3s. That's why I'm trying to install every PS3 game I have, before the servers are taken down.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm even crotchety'er than the rest of you. I swear, the console GUIs alone drive me completely batshit. Well, the XBONE's one does anyway. It changes like every other month and looks like more of a convoluted mess every time. The system takes like 30 seconds to boot up, and I feel like I'm 75 years old and from the third world every time it changes on me.

The patches ARE annoying as FUCK. I use my (modern) consoles more for streaming services than gaming, so it's worth it for me to leave them connected, but fuck it's irritating when every time I go to play something I have to wait like 3-20 minutes for an update.

One thing I don't have a problem with though is finding anything to play (Nintendo Switch aside). While the pool of current titles is nowhere near as large as it's been for past gen consoles, there's still more than enough interesting, single player, offline games to keep me busy for years, I think.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was annoyed that the PS4 wouldn't let me copy saves to a USB drive without first connecting to PSN the first time. I really wanted to keep my main play account free of being internet (I had a second account for that, but you can't copy saves unless that specific account was connected to PSN to authorize it the first time).

It's not like you can even do anything with copied saves except keep them as a backup, since they won't work with other accounts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Same here, but throw in that I find what Sony put out this time on their own isn't good compared to the PS3 stuff. The games that are good, more than enough end up on GoG and Steam and for less, far less in season/random sales plus it works better on my i7 laptop with 980 nvidia video chip. So I mothballed it down to just amazon/netflix streaming services and running blu ray. If it wasn't superior to the garbage you get on a $100 bluray wifi enabled player Id sell it.

Right now playing (was beta until a day ago) Everspace on my laptop and it's fantastic. Like the best aspects of a Wing Commander like game rolled up into a random rogue style game which can get brutal or not fast by the jump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Replying in this thread again because one thing I've noticed playing with the PS4. I think if anyone is going to collect current gen, they'll want to eventually purchase a PS4 Pro for future use or they need to have a PS4 Pro to get the most out of the system. Most games are going to be developed to work with PS4 and won't have Pro support unless they're from bigger devs. With PS4 Pro's boost mode, framerates can increase anywhere from five fps if the PS4 GPU is what is the issue while 15 fps if it's CPU based(which is where the majority of the issues will come from.) While this isn't true for everything, most games that have framerate issues would be resolved simply due to the more powerful hardware of the PS4 Pro.

Mighty No 9 for instance can't hold 60fps on PS4, staying around the low 50s, but maintains a sold 60fps without frame drops on boost mode. I decided to play Furi which was free for PS+ members to see if I was interested in getting the upcoming LRG release. I've played it without and with boost mode and have completed it twice so far. Furi on a standard PS4 doesn't have slow down, but has lots of frame drops, especially the later areas, while with boost mode activated, the framerate doesn't seem to drop during battles. Furi is a great game which is one I'm going to keep going back to, so definitely going to pick up. Without PS4 Pro I may have skipped picking it up, but maybe not because the games gameplay, style, music, etc, all is excellent and it's a very unique mix of bullet hell and action. Tekken 7 runs lower than 900p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One, but runs at 1080p on the PS4 Pro.

Anyways. As I've probably only mentioned a couple hundred times, I only keep games I like and right now we're nearing the four year mark and I've already got over 100 titles that I enjoy or for what I haven't yet played, have been interested in enough to purchase(though whether I'll like them are not I can't say.) Most games for whatever genre are better than most past generation games. Several companies are releasing lower budget or indie games at retail. Limited Run Games is releasing multiple indie games per month, and at times these are quality games, games like Shadow Complex, One Way Heroics, and the upcoming Furi are easily the best games LRG has released in my opinion. Play Asia released Cursed Castilla EX which is a really good clone of Ghosts n Goblins and while not easy it's not nearly as difficult as the source material. Iam8bit released Hyper Light Drifter, another good game, etc, etc, etc. Alongside the bigger publishers, a lot of the good indie games and digital only games are getting retail releases.

PS4 popularity made Japanese developers actually publish games in the west again. Namco Bandai has never published as many Japanese focused games even when they were actually publishing games separately in the past. Square Enix is a scummy publisher, but even if it's overpriced as fuq, they're announcing a limited retail release(which is only as limited as as many orders as they get, but this is so they can promote their douchebaggery) for $50 that you have to pay a year in advance because they're too afraid of taking a risk despite being identical lookinig to I Am Setsuna so being even more of a budget title than I Am Setsuna already was. The point is, even Square Enix is releasing physical retail games that you wouldn't have ever expected years ago.

If anything, the PS4 is going to be more successful for collectors who want to own good games than anything released last gen and there's no telling how it will perform compared to other consoles like the PS1 and PS2 that have already ran their course. I'm still of the opinion that the PS4 will have one of the best line ups ever in video games.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

xbox seems to be the worst but this is modern gaming its been pc gaming for awhile but you have many benefits getting new content and fixes if you want to be positive. also a fast internet connection helps get the fastest you can