Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default New Retro Fighters N64 Controller

What do you think of this?

~~~

$166,347 pledged of $13,000 goal
    5,555 backers

What is Retro Fighters?

The Retro Fighters controller for N64 is a modern take on the N64 controller. We wanted to remake the N64 controller with next generation features and designs!

What's Different?

We changed some things to make the N64 controller more ergonomic and a new modern way to play. First we added a very comfortable modern analog stick. We also made the "C" buttons slightly larger for games that use the "C" buttons for more than just camera angles, i.e. Smash Brothers, etc.

The shape of the controller is very comfortable and fits naturally in both hands with easy access to all the buttons.

We added two "Z" buttons and repositioned them right below the shoulder buttons, this allows to use either your right or left hand to use the "Z" button. A turbo button was added for games where you might need a little extra help. The D-pad features zero "deadzone" or sensitivity/response issues.

Finally, we got rid of the 3 prong N64 controller design, a new modern and comfortable way to play your favorite N64 games!

The analog stick features an octagonal gate and no sensitivity issues.

Why no USB?

It would have cost us a lot more time and money to come up with a controller with both N64 and USB functionality, the software and time to do so would have been too long to complete and too costly.

However, If you do want to use the N64 controller for PC, it is possible, there are several cheap adapters in the market that you can purchase online to play the N64 Retro Fighters Controller with your PC / MAC / or RetroPie etc.

If this Kickstarter is successful, we plan to release a 2nd USB version of this controller.

Timeline

We already have a workable pre-release version of the controller that is 100% functional. We have also put our own money into the project to get it off the ground. Here is the timeline to complete the project once we reach funding:

1. Finish Molding Process: 30 Days

2. Test and confirm 2nd pre-release version: 5 Days

3. Go into production: 45 Days

4. Shipping Time by Air: 5 Days

Cost

We wanted to keep the cost down as much as possible, yet not skimp on quality, we are essentially passing on the savings to our backers to get this product made. We are selling these versions at $20 each.

Memory Cards & Rumble Pak Compatibility

Yes! Memory Cards & Rumble Pak are 100% compatible with the Retro Fighters N64 Controller!

Web page

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er/description

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not convinced myself. The only thing that matters is that the thumbstick has EXACTLY the same parameters as the original. No one seems to have nailed that down yet. The design of the controller itself looks cool but it isn't going to be great for playing games like Goldeneye. I wish them the best as I have tried myself to reverse engineer the thumbstick. And failed.

If the joystick (read thumbstick) does function really well, I hope they bring out a 'classic' version as well with the three prongs to compliment it...
    Last edited by danny_galaga; 09-11-2017 at 05:29 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I dunno. I get why it'd be very desirable for some folks. I kind of like using the different controllers with each system; it adds to the unique feel of playing something different. That said, I've bought controllers modeled differently in the past such as the PS2 Saturn controller and the Hori Gamecube SNES controller, both for their superior D-pads, and I often use Genesis pads with Master System games for the same reason.

I think my personal hesitation comes from trying to think of a game or two that would truly benefit from this layout, as most N64 games were pretty well designed to use the stock controller very well.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Never had a problem (myself) with the stock controllers.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I took a gamble and funded this. I've never liked the original controller so the idea of a modern take on its design really appealed to me. For $20 I'm willing to give it a shot.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!