I am not a "core" gamer. I am not a "casual" gamer. I am a classic gamer who likes "arcade-style" games from the beginning of this medium to today's games.

What I mean is, I like a challenge. I like action games, games that demand I pay attention and try my best, and improve myself to win.

It doesn't matter the age of the game. It can be 2D, 2.5D, or 3D.

What I don't like is "baby food" games which are so soft, homogenous, no-lose, and easy, that its "challenge" is the equivalent of watching a movie.

At the same time I don't like games that last for more than 10 hours. Yeah, I understand and respect those who like story-based games like RPG's - I get them. But for me, personally, I like games to be 5 hours or less.

To state things another way, if I had to choose between one 60-hour game or fifteen 3-to-5-hour games for the same price, I'd choose the fifteen shorter games.

Or to put things another way, I like to graze games. A little time here, and a little time there, but not too much time with any one game on any one day. And when I think about that, I realize that's the arcade approach, the classic gaming mentality: a bunch of fun, "little" game experiences with a lot of variety, real challenge, and a lot of experimentation in game creation.

I think that's why I like the Dreamcast so much and its "avant-garde" selection of games. Sure, they aren't always the highest caliber or most polished experience - but what you get with them are fun, challenging experiences with unique music and art styles.