Thread: 2018 Yearly Finds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Arrived at a Flea Market around 7:40, people were still pulling in to their spaces. Passed on a 360. One seller pulled 3 SNES games out of a Christmas box of all things as I walked by, I didn't realize he was the seller at first. I came by, he had a Genesis controller and something else game related I didn't need. I picked everything up, he said $8. I put the controller and other item down and got these for $5:

Championship Pool (Fair condition)
    Super Mario All-Stars (Average - Good condition)
    Super Mario World (Player's Choice edition; Good condition)

I saw a wireless Atari controller but wasn't sure if it was to a Flashback or not. In retrospect, I don't think it was an original; it had no antenna. The lady wanted $3 for it, I didn't ask further.

Passed on 8 - 10 common Atari 2600 games for what seemed to be $75 (it wasn't well marked.)

Saw a Genesis (2) for $50, passed...

Went inside the building on the Flea Market grounds and there's a dedicated reseller in there. NES systems, SNES systems, some Genesis and Playstation and Atari systems including 2 that don't turn on for $10 ea. In there I saw an Atari 5200 4 Port without any controllers, games or wires; it's not in the best condition but I've seen worse and I wanted to see if I could buff out some light scratches. I paid $19 ($1 off since I asked,) probably not the greatest price but I wanted to modify a 4 port like this and I don't really care if I need to repair a couple things in it first. I rarely saw 5200 stuff in the wild anyway.

Stop at Cash In Culture in Monroeville Mall - picked up Super Breakout (5200) for $3. I had no 5200 games for when I test this 5200.

Last stop: The Exchange in Monroeville. Picked up Dreamcast Magazine Disc from July, 2000; Vol. 6. Includes Dreamcast Web Browser 2.0 and some game demos. Paid $3.

Total: $30. I'm glad to finally have a 5200 at all. I also found I actually have the TV connector for the Ti99/4a find from last year. All in all, I'm not going to say it's the same as the 71 game haul for $17-$18 in 2004 but I'm happy to find things I wanted.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 10-01-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Not me personally but a guy in a FB group I'm part of found a Hot Slots for 99 cents the other day. He only saved himself about 1,499 dollars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

My wife came back from a yard sale this weekend with 2 boxes of video game cables and controllers for a combined total of $5. Took a while to get everything untangled but there was a couple PS2 and XBox controllers, various video cables, several headphone/microphone headsets, PS2 controller extension cables, GBA link cable, various power supplies and cables, an N64 Voice Recognition Unit with microphone, a Guncon 2 with the T cable, and probably other cabley stuff that I can't remember at the moment. It was 2 copy paper boxes packed full of stuff. Once I got everything untangled and organized, I was able to fit it all nicely into one box, but still a lot of stuff for $5.

The funny thing is that I just bought a Guncon 2(without the T-cable) off eBay recently after looking a good long while for one and not finding one anywhere at a decent price.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

So I guess I am not the only one in my area that noticed the dry spell. I wonder if it had something to do with the firest fire smoke that kept blowing in for 3 months straight.
    well its gone from 90 degrees and smoky to about 60 and raining (much prefer rain any way) and I noticed that goodwill, salvation army and other thrifts are FLOODED with donations so if any thing most people said eff it and donated it all this year.

so I expect to find something game related soon, and if not its money saved for PRGE.

NON game find how ever, Last week I found:

Toshiba Stereo Power Amplifier Model SC-335 (1978) $15 working

I figure I could use it to drive some speakers for my gaming set up but i'll need a pre amp of sorts to go with it since it has no volume control.
    Still a cool piece of old hi fi equipment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

October 7: I went to a fairly close town that has flea markets occasionally. They seem to be better than my local town for yard sale items:

Flea Market 1:

Wii
    Controller & The Cables
    Wii Fit Board
    3 Games with Cases

Flea Market 2:

Atari 400 (seems like it was dropped since the keyboard's back a fraction of an inch but the keyboard works)
    Atari 400 Cassette Deck

Atari 400 Games/Programs:
    Basic Computing Language (With programming book and box)
    Centipede
    Star Raiders
    Various Booklets

Atari 2600 Games:

Adventure
    Barnstorming
    Lost Luggage (missing end label)
    Video Pinball

1 Atari 2600 Joystick (missing the plastic on the joystick)
    2 or 3 Paddle Controller Sets
    1 2600 A/C Adapter
    2 Switchboxes

Paid $20 at each flea market; $40 total. I may have missed a few items.

I also bought electrical components to mod my Atari 5200 4 Port so I don't need the funny power box and so it can be compatible with the Atari 2600 adapter. That cost $10.xx shipped. Still have to look into the video mods.

I don't suppose I'm being the cheapskate I was in 2006. Yeah, though; the market changed. I may or may not buy a Vic-20 from the same fellow who had the Atari 400.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 10-09-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I made quite the interesting find today. Or rather, my fiance did, because I probably would've walked right past it if my fiance hadn't begrudgingly pointed it out, haha. (Begrudgingly because he's not eager for even more piles of game junk being brought into our home, haha.) Someone had put out bags for recycle, and they were loaded with 80s game stuff. It's gonna take some time before I make sense of it all, but there's a Colecovision, Intellivision II, Atari 7800 (and its box), 60-some carts for the three, a whole bunch of manuals and inlays, an Intellivoice, among other stuff. There's a big tangled mass of cables and controllers, so I don't yet know if any of the systems are complete with all the hookups and such. Strangely, among everything, I spotted an NES RF switch and manuals for Zelda and Blades of Steel. I'd love to know what happened to this person's NES stuff, but I certainly can't complain about what all I did find. I just hope I didn't leave anything behind since there were other bags, and the game stuff was mixed up with old toys and holiday decorations and such. But I think I was about as thorough as I could be digging through someone's trash on the sidewalk, haha.

I'll definitely need to clean this stuff up, since everything feels kind of dusty and grimy (seems like somebody was clearing out an attic or something), so maybe I'll get a photo and a list later on. But if everything is in working order, it's a nice find for me in particular, as I have very little in the way of Atari stuff and pre-crash games. The only system I already have is a Colecovision. I welcome more games for that, and now I'll possibly be able to play the Intellivision carts I already had, since I had some games but no system. And as someone with no Atari systems until now, a 7800 is perfect. Now I should be able to play both 2600 and 7800 games.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (10-21-2018), mkenyon2 (12-19-2018), Slate (10-24-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

That's a nice find! Although if I were in your shoes I'd feel incredibly embarassed to dig through somebody else's trash. I might have even left everything there. I'm too much of a self-conscious, neurotic dork.