Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
the other thing about current games becoming collectible is this- once you transfer a game onto your hard drive, is there any useful purpose for the game disc afterwards or is it basically an empty shell at that point? videogamecritic.com had a review for the new consoles and was kinda talking about this- I don't know anything about PS4/Xbone/Switch games
PC games have always pretty much been this way, you could fully install the game on a hard drive and never need the disks/discs again. There's still something appealing about owning a legit copy of a game if possible. I will say that modern PC games are still interesting, far more than any modern console games besides portables.

I don't really have much time to play games too often anymore so I haven't kept up with many modern releases, I'll try to when I can but I usually just stick to my older games when I do have time. Pure technical advancement doesn't impress me, I don't care how much better a game looks or runs now compared to older hardware. Or every modern movie would automatically be better than every older movie ever made, just because better equipment and effects are available to make them now. The finished product as a whole is what impresses me, if it's fun and enjoyable and by how much.

As for whether or not games will still be collectibles in the future, who knows at this point. It's more about if people will still care about them in the future or if they'll be forgotten, not so much if they're still fully working. Few people collect antiques like tools to actually use them in a practical sense, collecting games might just keep changing compared to what it's like now. Or it might end up like fine china, a newer generation just stops caring about it so the value drops to almost nothing.