Thread: my thoughts on modern gaming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Unfortunately most games aren't complete as you purchase them. Whether it's patches, DLC, whatever. As a collector, you have to judge whether to skip out on games for that very reason or purchase them wondering if there's going to be a more complete release later on. However, very few games are online only or even required.

Payday 2 got recently released on the Switch and if you were to buy Payday 2 The Big Score on the PS4 and Xbox One, or even Payday 2 on the Switch, it's an online co op game(or offline co op for the Switch) with 55 different missions. If you decide to play solo though, there's nothing stopping you from completing any mission in the game even on harder difficulties. Your ally AI is good enough, about the only thing they don't do is assist you in carrying bags or doing any of the objectives. The reason I mention this game though is that I do feel that even though this game is a multiplayer experience, once the servers are done, the single player experience will still be able to carry this game along, and as I said before, the Switch has offline co op provided you have four Switch consoles.

Now I grew up starting with the Atari 2600/NES in my household, but I honestly think that gaming is better than it's ever been. A lot of people get it in their head that classic gaming is better because there were no patches, games were complete, and we're well aware of all the quality games back then, but do you know how many games were absolute trash? Additionally, what do games like the early Mega Man games, Super Castlevania 4, and many other games, including popular ones have in common? Lots of screen glitches, slowdown, etc. Secret of Mana not only had framerate issues but it had many gameplay issues, and argue as you might that this stuff was intentional, if not for the great music and graphics, it wouldn't have been worth touching as the gameplay was a very mediocre experience. Metal Gear Solid 3 on the PS2 never rose above 20fps. There are lots of issues for varying different games across consoles.

On the plus side, even at launch, many games today are atleast solid 30fps on consoles. Secret of Mana which had slowdown is 60fps for the remake on the PS4(Vita runs like crap though I've heard.) It's rare that games are constantly crashing, but one that comes to mind is LBP3 which crashed six times before I made it out of the first world, and that's after all of the patches. Now days it's honestly most publishers of indie games that could and should run fine on the console that run worse than the AAA titles. THQNordic is a pretty notable one to look towards with games that generally run like ass, from both Darksiders 1 and 2, to nearly every single indie release they've published that I've played, that being said they also have a decent amount of quality releases.

Now there's one genre that I still adore, but is pretty terrible now days, and that's JRPGs. There are also some gameplay styles that excelled in the past that are now missing here as well, but overall, there's a far greater variety in the gaming space today. Now honestly, we can think indie developers alongside the larger publishers. The larger publishers are always going to go for the casual audience, so the games will unfortunately be catered to them. However, many of the smaller publishers and many indie developers have created a variety of experiences that push the gaming space further than it's ever been. There's still your large amount of trash titles, but that's usually digital only(even though there's also digital only games that are excellent.) Honestly though, most games that you can find at retail are guaranteed to be atleast better than a large majority of the past gen releases.

I purchase anything that interests me and I sell it off if it doesn't hold a certain amount of quality. In my collection, other than the rare release(not actually rare, just it's uncommon that I keep a bad game) that I don't feel I can get rid of, I like to only keep what I consider good games in my collection, so I'll sell off anything that I feel isn't. I also don't buy any online game. I purchased Warhammer Vermintide for example because I didn't realize it was online only, found out sometime later and it's in the smallest text on the back of the box, and despite the fact that I still haven't played it, I sold it. I've only purchased one online game, Destiny, and after I was bored with it in less than a week, was pretty much a coaster, so if it's online only I won't even play them. With all of that being said, I still own over 150 PS4 games. I also buy retail only.

Games like..

Hotline Miami, a stealth/action based murder simulator where you go for a high score.
    Furi. A fast paced melee action game combined with the likes of a twin stick shooter.
    Has-Been Heroes. A true hidden gen of this generation. Looks stupid and is simple to play, but the amount of underlying depth and strategy has it being my most played on the PS4 to date.
    Overcooked. A time management cooking game. You have to work efficiently and effectively to get orders out quickly and correct without setting the kitchen on fire.
    N++. A very minimalist platformer with thousands of stages. Unfortunately there's a patch to double the content to 4000 stages. Sad we didn't get the complete version but ehhh, it's still 2000 stages and you can create your own.
    Divinity Original Sin. One of the best WRPGs I've played in a long time, better than a lot of the classics even.
    Bloodborne. Nightmare Creatures is one of my favorite action games on the PS1, and while there is none(yet, did you guys hear someone is rebooting the franchise) on the PS4 there's still the amazing Bloodborne and Dark Souls series.
    This is the Police. A visual novel with light strategy elements. You're a 60 year old police chief nearing retirement. It's a simple game, but there's so many underlying statistics, some slight RNG with your officers, making the mayor's office happy, making the mafia happy, and your goal is to obtain $500,000 by the end of 180 days when you're forced to retire without being put in prison or murdered.
    Dragon Quest Heroes. The first game, not the second, is a RPG/Dynasty Warriors/Tower Defense mix. Now I hate Dynasty Warriors, the series is pretty garbage, but the way it's done in Dragon Quest Heroes and the tower defense style of it has you warping back and forth between different areas of the map, making sure that each area isn't overrun, it makes a much better experience than any of the other games. The second game is a bit worse than this one, but atleast has some difficulty to it making it again a bit better than the rest. The only one I like even a little bit after these games, is the first Fist of the North Star Ken's Rage.
    Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and undoubtedly 6. Yakuza is an "open world franchise" unlike the open world games that you generally think of. Unlike Ubisoft's open world games, the quests in Yakuza all have some sort of storyline to each of them. The game has a ridiculous amount of activities that you can take part in. Then the single player storyline is always some of the best writing and storyline in gaming. You want to take a break with the main quest and do some side quests, you can, you want to just sit back and play Space Harrier, Outrun, or Super Hang On to try and top(and admittedly fail) the leaderboards, you can, you want to play a game of Shogi, Mahjong, and a lot of other western and Japanese gambling games where the AI are cheating a**holes, you can do that too. And that's just scratching the surface. The game is a beat em up with a great storyline and tons to do.

Just like I only scratched the surface with all Yakuza has to offer, this list only scratches the surface of all the PS4 has to offer. These games really just show a minimal amount of variety that the console has.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I agree that a lot of modern games will wind up as little more than curiosities for the physical copies, with the odd passion project hack to make something run on the Playstation 63 1/3 or PADD or whatever the new tech is in a decade. I can't claim I bought very many games within a couple months of release in the last decade, except for Borderlands 2 and Diablo III (and later Reaper of Souls). I've always had a struggle keeping current since a 'new' console for me has a hard time competing with the absolutely ridiculous amount of ps1 and ps2 JRPGs I can snag for half the price tag. JRPGs: Proof that once you start down the dork path, forever will it dominate your money's destiny.

I have an odd relationship with DLC and microtransactions. If a game I love comes along, I tend to throw money at it (Borderlands 2, World of Tanks hoo boy World of Tanks) or if I can only get something secondhand I buy a little bit as sort of half apology half tip to the devs. But outside of the two examples I don't feel the virtual collector's craze and I really don't like some of the more predatory tactics out there. especially chopped out game parts as DLC or pay-to-win.

I think when it comes down to it is that in the not so distant future a lot of games are going to be unplayable, and while there is a lot of crap out there, good games, even great games are going to disappear. I mean, you can still run a cart-based game or anything before ps3/360 or so since all you need is the game and the console (usually anyway), but just about anything from current times? I know it's more-or-less repeating the OP but that's what's going to happen, and I think its kinda sad.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

These reasons among others is why I've gravitated toward handhelds these last two gens. I still have a Wii, 360, PS4, and Xbox One, but the number of games I have for those and amount of time I've spent playing them is a tiny fraction compared to what I have and have put into my PSP, DS, 3DS, and Vita. When I pop in a Vita card, sure, it installs some data (mostly so that it has a bubble for the game on the menu whether the game is inserted or not), but the vast majority of data is run directly off the physical copy while playing. I can also easily put my Vita in flight mode if I want to keep it offline. The types of games available for these handhelds are more similar to the games I love from the 80s and 90s, and they offer full single-player, offline experiences.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think the only thing that I dislike about current gen gaming is that everything is a re-release. I just can't get very excited about games I already own coming out again and again with updated graphics. I feel like it's a big scam and the developers are all just laughing at how stupid the general gaming public is for re-purchasing games that they have already purchased. If I were to buy something like the new Smash Bros for switch, I'd sell my Wii U version and put the money towards the switch version (which I did with Mario Kart 8). It just doesn't feel worth it to me otherwise. The only exception in my opinion is games like Ocarina of Time on the 3DS mostly due to being able to play the game in 3D, or if it's a souped up version of a rare/expensive game that I otherwise wouldn't buy or play due to it being expensive or hard to find. A remake would have to be built from the ground up, or just be something I've never played the first time around for it to catch my interest. The Uncharted: Nathan Drake collection comes to mind mostly because I never played them on PS3...but I found it used for $5 so it was a no brainer on that one.

That being said, I actually love my PS4 and the Switch is coming along nicely as well. I feel like I should have skipped the xbox one altogether this generation, because I haven't even turned the thing on in over a year.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I think the only thing that I dislike about current gen gaming is that everything is a re-release. I just can't get very excited about games I already own coming out again and again with updated graphics. I feel like it's a big scam and the developers are all just laughing at how stupid the general gaming public is for re-purchasing games that they have already purchased. If I were to buy something like the new Smash Bros for switch, I'd sell my Wii U version and put the money towards the switch version (which I did with Mario Kart 8). It just doesn't feel worth it to me otherwise. The only exception in my opinion is games like Ocarina of Time on the 3DS mostly due to being able to play the game in 3D, or if it's a souped up version of a rare/expensive game that I otherwise wouldn't buy or play due to it being expensive or hard to find. A remake would have to be built from the ground up, or just be something I've never played the first time around for it to catch my interest. The Uncharted: Nathan Drake collection comes to mind mostly because I never played them on PS3...but I found it used for $5 so it was a no brainer on that one.
    I'm with you on this. People act like I'm biased against the Switch because I'm bashing it for being 98% ports, but I was bashing on the PS4 alongside everyone else. The only people defending the Switch being mass ports though is the die hard Nintendo fanboys who have never owned another publishers console in their life though and would probably sacrifice their first born child if Miyamoto commanded it. I own 166 games on the PS4 as of right now(that I plan to keep,) and my collection consists of 37 remasters. To be fair, there are some of these I didn't own, some of these were rumored and announced prior to their release on last gen consoles, and some of them have major improvements and/or include all the DLC, but even so, damn. I just counted and didn't realize that I had so many in my collection, nearly one fourth of my PS4 library. One fourth sounds pretty large sure, but if you think about it, I still own 129 games that I'm planning to keep that have never made it to retail on any other past console.

After the second year of the PS4 and Xbox One, there's been fewer and fewer ports and rereleases from most developers. Hopefully it ends with Nintendo as well, but it just seems like it's even worse for that company after they released their first remaster and saw how many people will go out and rebuy their games that they've went all in with remasters and ports. This latest Nintendo Direct was either games we already knew about, or 3DS and Switch ports of past games. It's like. Damn Nintendo, I already feel robbed purchasing a Wii U in the first place, leave some exclusives for the damn system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Pure technical advancement doesn't impress me, I don't care how much better a game looks or runs now compared to older hardware. Or every modern movie would automatically be better than every older movie ever made, just because better equipment and effects are available to make them now. The finished product as a whole is what impresses me, if it's fun and enjoyable and by how much.
    This statement seems more like you're just stuck in the past. It's not just pure technical advancement. Many of these indie games could probably run on the PS1, even a lot of larger Japanese publishers are PS3 or even PS2 quality releases. Also just because a game looks great, doesn't mean that it can't be a quality game. When it comes to gameplay, Metal Gear Solid 5 is the best in the series, and while it's bloated with content and probably would have been better without being open world, it's one of the few open world games this gen that does open world gaming right. The Last of Us looks amazing, and is imo the best stealth game ever released, the game has a quality multiplayer added onto it as well. The Last of Us is such a great game that Capcom decided to rip it off with Resident Evil Revelations 2(they failed of course.) Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 could look like sh** and still be great games, but they also look amazing as well. Throwing out "pure technical advancement," sounds more like you're blindly bashing newer stuff just because it's new.

As I said in my previous post, how many shit games are there on the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. There's a lot of trash among all of those consoles, infact there's stuff so bad that atleast in the retail market on current gen consoles, nothing even comes close to comparing. Almost all games that are released today on the retail market are on average better than half the 8 and 16bit libraries. Praise past gen titles as much as you want, we all know there was also a lot of crap. Granted there was a lot of great games as well, but acting like past gen is superior because limited graphics is just as bad as me being an elitist(which I have no problems admitting.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.