Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    The real issue is I have a CRT that works fine, I don't have the space for a second TV and I don't want to deal with potential compatibility issues. Also I mentioned things like a lot of games having internet-dependent features (if you tell me that internet with no bandwidth or download limits is within easy grasp, I'll know you're some spoiled rich kid, because it f***ing isn't).
    As I stated above, patches and updates to make a game work better aren't needed. Super Castlevania 4 has slowdown, Mega Man X has slowdown, many games on past consoles have slowdown, bugs, etc. Games on future consoles do as well, but the games, just like on past consoles, are perfectly playable without any updates. There are even same games which are more than likely going to get complete editions, which I myself wait for the release of those versions.

Aside from Destiny, Warhammer Vermintide, and a few online only shooters or MOBA games, there's really not as many games that require an online connection as you think, except to play online multiplayer. Diablo, Victor Vran, and the like, are playable offline in couche co op. Diablo 3 has a ton of content from day one, it does have patches that have added more content, but they just add newly constructed areas. They additionally have patches that change the sets and add three additional item slots for legendary skills, however, it's not minor changes in the game, and essentially completely change how the game works. So the day one version of Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition is just a different game altogether as the patched version. Same with Payday 2, they updated the way that you do your character builds so it's honestly completely different than the base version of the game. Now yes, Payday 2 The Big Score includes 45 different missions while there is DLC released later that brings it up to 58 missions, but 45 missions is a pretty extensive amount of content, it's just the game is regularly being updated.

Now you did mention, certain games that require online to play with other people, and as I stated, these games would be unplayable multiplayer without online. Examples. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas had multiplayer and it wasn't split screen, the screen panned back the further the players got away from each other. Realistically though, it's pretty unplayable. But, how about The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, how was the multiplayer there? How was the multiplayer for Brave Fencer Musashi, etc?

Demon's Souls though is pretty much The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time when it comes to similar and more refined gameplay. Just the gameplay part is more Zelda, not puzzles, etc. As at its core, Demon's Souls is really just King's Field in 3D with an targeting system, a dodge mechanic, and a bit more depth in gameplay. As questioned above, how is Ocarina of Time's multiplayer though? That's right, there isn't any. So the online multiplayer gameplay is yes, for a limited time and after the servers shut down it'll be gone for good. The single player game is able to be finished solo and it's not really that difficult. Same thing with the Dark Souls games and Bloodborne, except those games are even easier with the addition of AI allies that you can summon to assist. The online multiplayer is really only just PvP or to get help to progress. The games are still 20+ hours worth of content otherwise, and that's only for one playthrough with one of the weapons. If you like to replay the game with multiple different builds and set ups, then it'll take several times that amount. Bloodborne to be proficient with every weapon without just grinding to make an all powerful character, there's the strength bloodtinge build, the skill bloodtinge build, the pure bloodtinge build, the arcane build, the strength build, the skill build, quality build, and then all sorts of medium variations of those builds.

One Way Heroics has an online feature. It's pretty pointless to be honest. It's the first person who gets to one end and kills the enemy player. It's really just a novelty. However, as a rogue-like game in the traditional fashion, examples being Rogue, Fatal Labyrinth, or Shiren the Wanderer as examples, Mystery Chronicles One Way Heroics plays completely different from its predecessors. In the predecessors you usually got to different dungeons and then find steps to go up or down the dungeon to completion. In One Way Heroics, you're in a procedurally generated world map, so it's more like an adventure across the land, escaping from the darkness engulfing everything behind you. Same exact concept, different way to play the game and different difficulties, different objectives, different last bosses, etc. Chocobo's Dungeon 2 is the only game of this type that I know has local multiplayer, and the thing is, is the multiplayer is more or less broken. You essentially move once and the enemies move once. In Chocobo Dungeon 2, the player controlling Chocobo can move once, and then the second player can move freely, attack once, then still move freely without the enemies being able to make a move, essentially making you an unstoppable killing machine able to cheat the system. I'm sure you can understand why it's never been implemented as a co op game again.

So another question is, when was the last time you've played Resident Evil co op? Not since PS3, huh? Infact, like I said in a previous post PS3 and PS4 actually does split screen co op with the Resident Evil 5/6 games. Just a smaller resolution size per player as the games wouldn't run otherwise. They also play at 60fps on PS4(RE5 only with boost mode,) or 30fps on PS3 while in multiplayer.

Just to amuse you, out of all the PS4 games I own, not including racers, fighting games, sports games, etc, I am going to list the amount of games in my collection that include local co-op(PS4 only.) 22 games, again, not including any of the above that include LOCAL CO-OP, no online required. On the PS2, I have 21 and that's including each collection I own once(Sega Genesis Collection, etc) and Xenosaga because XenoCard. I even included Armored Core 2 and 3 and both expansions despite only having versus, while including Last Raven because it has co op. I didn't give that benefit to any PS4 game I own. Additionally, I didn't include any digital games that I own that have local co-op either. Games like Spelunky or Skulls of the Shogun for instance. Despite having them on my console, I don't consider them part of my collection. So 1/8th of both my PS4 and PS2 collection includes local co-op, more if you consider the fighting games, racers, and sports games that include it by default(including wrestling games as fighting.)

So yeah, I have a lot of games that include online multiplayer, but they still have a lot of OFFLINE ONLY single player content. and there's still 22 other games I own that don't fit in the obvious local multiplayer criteria on top of that I still can play local multiplayer, on top of all the other racing, fighting, and sports games I may or may not own on the PS4(just fighting honestly.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

Hep038 (11-07-2018)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The internet issue isn't just limited to multiplayer or patches though. In some cases even getting the actual game requires online access (even if you buy a physical copy).

Hell, I already have problems just downloading my GOG library--and those are old games with small filesizes, no online features, and no DRM. I still have to do stuff like get up late at night so I can make use of my ISP's late-night free zone. Which can conflict with other plans I have and mess me up since I miss sleep (and if the fact I had surgery last november is anything to go by, my health doesn't need more hits). I actually stopped buying games on GOG for this reason, preferring to just wait for a physical disc to be delivered in the mail since for me that's actually a lot more convenient.

One game I want to get is Mega Man Legacy Collection (mostly just the second one since I never got a chance to play MM9 or 10), but the version I thought of getting--the Switch version (because the Switch can be played as a portable and thus would be more convenient for my purposes)--supposedly does a thing where you have to get online to download half the data. I'm not sure what the case is with the other versions. I suppose I could get Steam and play them on my laptop but then that's all-digital.

Sigh.

Well, hopefully this lottery ticket I bought will allow me to change houses and get better internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I remember a discussion on here nearly 10 years ago that people were saying we were on the last generation of physical media and I was making the argument that game sizes were growing faster than peoples internet speed(especially in rural areas) so physical was going to stick around for a long time. I think some are so accustom to always having high speed internet that they forget there is still a lot of the country (and world) where they don't, or it's spotty at best.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    The internet issue isn't just limited to multiplayer or patches though. In some cases even getting the actual game requires online access (even if you buy a physical copy).
    I've only owned two games this entire generation that were online only and require an internet connection. Destiny and Warhammer Vermintide(which I sold without playing after finding out it was online only, the return policy expired, I lost maybe $4.) Two games, and I own over 150. Out of all the games released on the PS4, there's probably 10 games or less that you can get at retail that require a constant internet connection.

One game I want to get is Mega Man Legacy Collection (mostly just the second one since I never got a chance to play MM9 or 10), but the version I thought of getting--the Switch version (because the Switch can be played as a portable and thus would be more convenient for my purposes)--supposedly does a thing where you have to get online to download half the data. I'm not sure what the case is with the other versions. I suppose I could get Steam and play them on my laptop but then that's all-digital.
    Yes, it's understandably frustrating, but because the Switch has multiple sized cards and publishers feel they can get away with releasing an incomplete game and make the consumer download the rest doesn't mean that the PS4 and XBO versions are the same. So just because the Switch has small cards that developers cheap out on costs and require the rest of the game to be downloaded, automatically everything else requires an internet connection?

You've had a bad experience with the Switch and you're blowing everything else out of proportion. Just because these same games require downloads for the complete game on the Switch, of course the PS4 and XBO versions require downloads to be playable as well(no, they don't.) The scenario that you're giving out is incredibly rare even on the Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I remember a discussion on here nearly 10 years ago that people were saying we were on the last generation of physical media and I was making the argument that game sizes were growing faster than peoples internet speed(especially in rural areas) so physical was going to stick around for a long time. I think some are so accustom to always having high speed internet that they forget there is still a lot of the country (and world) where they don't, or it's spotty at best.
    Just because the internet connection in different parts of the world are worse, it doesn't give truth that the majority of games or even many games whatsoever are unplayable or even barely playable without it. I love the Mega Man series and the Castlevania series, but there are a lot of technical issues on the past games in the franchise. Great games as they may be, the majority of the games in this generation have less technical issues than both of those franchises. That's not counting the countless other good games that have technical issues as well.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-23-2018 at 01:27 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    So just because the Switch has small cards that developers cheap out on costs and require the rest of the game to be downloaded, automatically everything else requires an internet connection?
    I VERY CLEARLY said (and you even quoted me saying) "I don't know what the case is with the other versions." (Moreover, I never said I was unwilling to download games, I was physically unable to do so, at least without a lot of inconvenience).

There is nothing that pisses me off more than when someone twists my words, or else puts words in my mouth. If you're gonna be like that, please smack yourself with a hammer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I decided to make a video series showing what PS4 has available that I consider to be good called "25 PS4 games in five minutes." Exclusives, multiconsole games, ports, remakes, whatever. If I consider a good game I'm including it. Now currently I only have one video uploaded and the second video is currently in progress(complete, just delaying uploading it since the third video will take awhile.)

The third video I've already got planned to be a sort of JRPG and Namco Bandai list of games along with some others. However, there are some Namco Bandai games that I haven't played or that I haven't finished so that's where the delay comes from. Every game in the video I've either finished or depending on the game I've put significant time into it.

Thought it might interest people in this thread to give them an idea of modern gen games that are available to purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZF58GFU1cI

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

A nice video, it gets to the point without any unneeded filler. If I could just make one suggestion it would be to include the names of the games on screen while the footage is being showed. It's a bit hard to figure out what each footage belongs to as I wasn't counting how many games were already shown, after several it gets a bit tricky.

For me personally I only found a few of those games interesting enough to possibly play them and those ones are also available on the PC so I still don't need a PS4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (04-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I edited the comments and added the time for each game. One cool thing(and I didn't know Youtube did this) is that all I did was watch the video myself and typed the times 0:00, 0:13, etc, literally nothing else and when I saved it and went back to the video and checked the comments, they were listed as a link instead. I clicked on a random one and it took me to the exact time in the video. Pretty cool.