Thread: Future of the Wii U

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Future of the Wii U

With the release (and major success) of the Switch, how do you think future gamers and collectors will see the Wii U? I would like to compare it to previous consoles but I find its position to be fairly unique.

Two comparisons I've heard are to the Dreamcast and the Atari Jaguar. In terms of the Dreamcast, the console and its titles might be viewed with better favor in hindsight, at least compared to its sale performance. I would have agreed with that if it weren't for the ports of major titles to the Switch. I think those ports aren't going to make the Wii U versions worthless, but they will slash the value of certain titles. For that reason, the retrospective on the console might fly the way of Jaguar or other consoles that are still seen positively, but the libraries suffered from major titles getting ported or better versions being released. Then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about, and there are many quality titles.

What do you all think, how will the Wii U be viewed 5 years from now? 10 years from now? What will prices look like for completionists out there? Another factor might be that the game pads could have a limited lifespan. They can obviously be repaired but it might affect availability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i am just glad i decided to keep my wii u even after we got the switch...i have almost sold the wii u several times...once for the switch and most recently thought about selling it to get a playstation vr....but i'm happy with it...lots of good quality games...not a ton of games are on the system but the first party titles are really good....i enjoy breath of the wild on the wii u...

as far as how it will be viewed in later years...i think it will get expensive but be viewed in a positive light...not like the jaguar...the jaguar for most people was a piece of crap although its really not for those of us who experienced the jaguar.....i havent heard a lot of people talk badly about the wiiu...but it just didnt sell like it needed to....

i think eventually its gonna skyrocket because if the current collecting trends continue, then in 10 or 15 years from now people are going to go nuts over the wii u just becuase they want to re live their past/childhood....kind of like i did with the 16 bit systems...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think in 10-15 years it will be similar to how the Gamecube is now. The good first party games will hold their value decently but hardly anything will be over their original msrp prices of around $60. Maybe 2-3 obscure shovelware games that had low print runs might get close to $100 for people who have to have a fullset, but the actual good games like the Mario's, Zelda's, Splatoon, Smash Bros. etc should still be around the $20-$40 range.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii U really is a great system. I was fully expecting Nintendo to pull a crap move and release the latest Zelda on the Switch only, but they surprised me. I’m sad that the Wii U had what, 4 years on the retail market? The thing that really bothers me is that like the first Wii, purchased and downloaded games are tied to the console. That should be account-based. Well alright, what happens 5 years from now if my Wii U has a major hardware problem? By then, Nintendo probably won’t even be supporting it, and I’ll be SOL.

I agree with Colorado Rockies in that the Wii U will probably be like the GameCube is viewed today - a good system with some great games that never caught on as much as Nintendo had hoped, and it faded into never-never land.
    Last edited by Scream And Fly; 07-23-2018 at 07:14 AM.
    Scream And Fly - High Performance Powerboating Online
    My Personal Weblog
    My Feedback!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I know that I'm insane for thinking this, but I'm still holding out hope for Bad Land Games to bring out a NTSC region physical release of Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition. I love my Wii U (and I'm also super happy I hacked it). I own all of the physical 1st party releases and most of the must have exclusive eShop releases (e.g., Fast Racing Neo). However, knowing that the eShop for the Wii U won't be around for forever, I found a very likely illicit program and downloaded all of the DLC (most, if not all of which I already own) and game updates and have them backed up for that day in the future where you can no longer get them so that I can still play my Wii U discs with all updates.

I actually own two Wii Us (my first one's 5ghz wifi that communicates with the gamepad went out the day after Christmas 2015 so I ran out to GameStop and bought a used one which I'm currently using and then I had the original repaired by Nintendo). I've thought about giving away one of the units over the years to family or friends, but I just can't give it up because I always want to be able to play my Wii U if and when I want to.

Be it Captain Toad or Super Mario 3D World or Breath of the Wild, it's just great gaming. I even powered through Paper Mario: Color Splash which has an absolutely charming world and story and absolutely atrocious battle mechanics (again, I hacked my Wii U and cheated and the game still was only barely passable thanks to the great in-game world - I couldn't imaging playing it with out cheats). The Wii U was something special and something under appreciated. BotW as it's swan song is very apt.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm going to keep my Wii U since it can play Wii games and I've never owned a Wii, so I essentially have two consoles in one, however I still feel that even both systems libraries together aren't very good, despite the lists that people may post. However, with as few good games that are exclusive to the Wii U, almost every single one of those games have been ported over to the Switch. Yes, there's still exclusives like Tokyo Mirage Session, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, Wonderful 101(and for how long since the dev keeps stating he wants it on the Switch,) the first Splatoon which is pretty much the same game as the second,) Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and well, that's about it. Yes. There's games like Mario Party 10, NES Remix 1 and 2, etc, but while some collectors that collect everything, I don't tend to collect bad games.

I don't think Wii U will be collectable for these reasons. Why collect a system full of inferior versions of games and a limited amount of exclusives. I feel the exact same way about the Vita despite owning 80 games. I feel like I have to buy the games to justify my purchase of the system. At the very least though, I can see why people would buy a Vita version or a Switch version, because the games are portable.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it will be viewed like the Sega Saturn. A system that was trying to move from one generation to the other but kind of got left in the middle. It has some nice games, but overall something not really considered desirable until a lot of time passes.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I prefer the Wii U controllers to the Switch controllers

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I still haven't seen a Wii U in person. I probably won't bother getting one unless I come across it cheap at a garage sale. I have no idea why stores like Gamestop or Walmart don't bother to have kiosks anymore, I haven't seen a Switch in person either and without being able to try any of the current consoles out to know how they feel when played I see no real reason why I'd want to buy any of them. There's usually a TV with game footage playing on it, which just reminds me that I can watch footage of interesting games on youtube if I wanted to.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I still haven't seen a Wii U in person. I probably won't bother getting one unless I come across it cheap at a garage sale. I have no idea why stores like Gamestop or Walmart don't bother to have kiosks anymore, I haven't seen a Switch in person either and without being able to try any of the current consoles out to know how they feel when played I see no real reason why I'd want to buy any of them. There's usually a TV with game footage playing on it, which just reminds me that I can watch footage of interesting games on youtube if I wanted to.
    The best buys and GameStops in Minnesota have kiosks still. Same for Target

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    The best buys and GameStops in Minnesota have kiosks still. Same for Target
    I guess it's different where I am in Canada for whatever reason. To be fair I don't shop at Best Buy so maybe they're still around and I just don't see them, it's just too irritating to browse a Best Buy so I won't bother to check.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I prefer the Wii U controllers to the Switch controllers
    I agree. The Wii U pro controller is like bliss in the hands, better than the Switch pro controller, certainly. and don't get me started on the way too tiny "for babby hands" joycons... no joy cons, you mean...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I agree. The Wii U pro controller is like bliss in the hands, better than the Switch pro controller, certainly. and don't get me started on the way too tiny "for babby hands" joycons... no joy cons, you mean...
    I bought a Mayflash adapter to use the Wii U pro with the switch. Works fine for me, though obviously won't work for games requiring a gyro or ???

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Magi...ayflash+switch

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Dreamcast and Jaguar were both the last systems from their respective companies, Dreamcast was initially successful but couldn't compete against the PS2. There is some parallel between the Wii U and the Dreamcast in that the Dreamcast was first by a year in its generation and was discontinued early on in the generation.

However, I see the Sega Saturn as being a much more accurate parallel to the Wii U. Both launched too early, were discontinued early, and had Sony as their biggest competition.

The Saturn followed up a very successful system (the Genesis) that had gotten a lead in 1991-1993 as being the "cool" system, but got a bit stale later in the generation, 1994 and later, as the more-powerful SNES overcame its flaw of a small game library and built up a large library full of triple-A titles, bringing home experiences the Genesis couldn't match.

The Wii U followed up a very successful system (the Wii) that had gotten a lead in 2006-2009 with its motion controls, but got a bit stale later in the generation, 2010 and later, as the more-powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 overcame their flaws of unreliability (for 360) and being overpriced (for the PS3), bringing home experiences the Wii couldn't match.

Seeing its system getting stale, Sega released its next system, the Saturn, before its time (May 1995), surprise launching it in one of video game history's greatest screw-ups. The system was just as powerful as the PlayStation, but in the wrong ways. Sega emphasized 2D and saw 3D as an afterthought. Never mind that the Saturn library has a higher percentage of games that hold up in 2019 (though, due to the PlayStation's immense library, a much lower number overall), the PlayStation gave the 1995-1998 market what it wanted. Nintendo cinched up the remaining niches and was still successful that generation.

Seeing its system getting stale, Nintendo released its next system, the Wii U, before its time (November 2012). At least they didn't surprise launch it, I think everyone learned their lesson. The system had capabilities the PS4 didn't have, but the market didn't want them. Nintendo emphasized motion controls (much like the Wii) and saw traditional gaming with next-generation graphics and sound as an afterthought. Never mind that the Wii U will probably have a higher percentage of games that hold up in 2036 (though, due to the PS4's immense library, a much lower number overall), the PS4 gave the 2013-2017 market what it wanted. Microsoft is playing second fiddle to Sony, but is still successful this generation.

The Saturn was discontinued in March 1998, about midway between the generation. Sega was the first out with a next generation console with the Dreamcast. A new console developer, Microsoft, also entered in at the Dreamcast's generation.

The Wii U was discontinued in January 2017. It is as yet unknown when the next generation will start, but speculation says in about a year (late 2019 / early 2020). That would put the Wii U discontinued about midway through the generation. Nintendo was the first out with a next generation console with the Switch. Will it be able to hold up to the next generation consoles? Ultimately, the price and capabilities of the competing consoles will be the best indicator.

As for the Atari Jaguar? That turd was a joke. Less than 250,000 were made. Even the CD-i topped a million! The Dreamcast at least competed with the PS2 for a short period, the Jaguar was basically dead at the PlayStation 1's September 9, 1995 launch. A few more games came out during the remainder of the year but it's entirely possible that system production ended before the end of 1995. The Atari Jaguar in 1996 was a pathetic joke. The Dreamcast in 2001 could still hold its own against PlayStation 2 in terms of game library, quality, graphics and sound.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    Dreamcast and Jaguar were both the last systems from their respective companies, Dreamcast was initially successful but couldn't compete against the PS2. There is some parallel between the Wii U and the Dreamcast in that the Dreamcast was first by a year in its generation and was discontinued early on in the generation.

However, I see the Sega Saturn as being a much more accurate parallel to the Wii U. Both launched too early, were discontinued early, and had Sony as their biggest competition.

The Saturn followed up a very successful system (the Genesis) that had gotten a lead in 1991-1993 as being the "cool" system, but got a bit stale later in the generation, 1994 and later, as the more-powerful SNES overcame its flaw of a small game library and built up a large library full of triple-A titles, bringing home experiences the Genesis couldn't match.

The Wii U followed up a very successful system (the Wii) that had gotten a lead in 2006-2009 with its motion controls, but got a bit stale later in the generation, 2010 and later, as the more-powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 overcame their flaws of unreliability (for 360) and being overpriced (for the PS3), bringing home experiences the Wii couldn't match.

Seeing its system getting stale, Sega released its next system, the Saturn, before its time (May 1995), surprise launching it in one of video game history's greatest screw-ups. The system was just as powerful as the PlayStation, but in the wrong ways. Sega emphasized 2D and saw 3D as an afterthought. Never mind that the Saturn library has a higher percentage of games that hold up in 2019 (though, due to the PlayStation's immense library, a much lower number overall), the PlayStation gave the 1995-1998 market what it wanted. Nintendo cinched up the remaining niches and was still successful that generation.

Seeing its system getting stale, Nintendo released its next system, the Wii U, before its time (November 2012). At least they didn't surprise launch it, I think everyone learned their lesson. The system had capabilities the PS4 didn't have, but the market didn't want them. Nintendo emphasized motion controls (much like the Wii) and saw traditional gaming with next-generation graphics and sound as an afterthought. Never mind that the Wii U will probably have a higher percentage of games that hold up in 2036 (though, due to the PS4's immense library, a much lower number overall), the PS4 gave the 2013-2017 market what it wanted. Microsoft is playing second fiddle to Sony, but is still successful this generation.

The Saturn was discontinued in March 1998, about midway between the generation. Sega was the first out with a next generation console with the Dreamcast. A new console developer, Microsoft, also entered in at the Dreamcast's generation.

The Wii U was discontinued in January 2017. It is as yet unknown when the next generation will start, but speculation says in about a year (late 2019 / early 2020). That would put the Wii U discontinued about midway through the generation. Nintendo was the first out with a next generation console with the Switch. Will it be able to hold up to the next generation consoles? Ultimately, the price and capabilities of the competing consoles will be the best indicator.

As for the Atari Jaguar? That turd was a joke. Less than 250,000 were made. Even the CD-i topped a million! The Dreamcast at least competed with the PS2 for a short period, the Jaguar was basically dead at the PlayStation 1's September 9, 1995 launch. A few more games came out during the remainder of the year but it's entirely possible that system production ended before the end of 1995. The Atari Jaguar in 1996 was a pathetic joke. The Dreamcast in 2001 could still hold its own against PlayStation 2 in terms of game library, quality, graphics and sound.
    I notice that the Jaguar didnt get much third party support and it seems to be a trend for consoles that fail. I wonder if publishers didnt want to put games on the console because consumers viewed Atari as being outdated. Well that and the fact that it was a cartridge based system when 3DO and Sega were going the CD route