Thread: Good games that run on Windows XP?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

A psychological side-effect of that, related to this topic even, is I keep thinking games like HL2 would require an ultra-modern 16-core machine with gobs of RAM to run. So I keep thinking none of my PCs can run it.

Even though technically the one I just built is probably what it was designed for...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Posts here got me to pull some boxes off the shelf and damn if I didn't find another way to feel old. You know the small-box form factor? Yeah, all of those that I have list windows 98 as an option. I would have thought those were squarely in the XP. Although if having 98 on the box rules it out as a "XP game", then you'd have to do the same for games that came out on XP and Windows 7. So some games like Mass Effect 3 have both of those listed. Same with Fallout 4.

So some I'm looking at that have 98 on the box, but I'd still consider XP are Max Payne, SW Republic Commander, Black & White, Doom 3, KOTOR II, and Beyond Good & Evil. Hell, even HL2 has 98 on the box. Of course, I think most of those were on consoles, too, so not exactly perfect for the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Although if having 98 on the box rules it out as a "XP game",
    It doesn't. I realized this would be silly.

So some I'm looking at that have 98 on the box, but I'd still consider XP are Max Payne, SW Republic Commander, Black & White, Doom 3, KOTOR II, and Beyond Good & Evil. Hell, even HL2 has 98 on the box. Of course, I think most of those were on consoles, too, so not exactly perfect for the list.
    And add KOTOR to the list of "games I keep thinking are more recent than they really are."

LGR did a video about Big Box games (I think he did more than one). Apparently for awhile some games were released in both big-box and small-box format because some retailers preferred one over the other.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don’t forget Serious Sam! My personal favorite is Unreal with the expansion, and of course UT.
    Scream And Fly - High Performance Powerboating Online
    My Personal Weblog
    My Feedback!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Heh, its funny but I was actually addicted to Unreal Tournament a month ago.

See, I started out playing Unreal, but I found the main campaign boring, so wound up loading up a botmatch... and was like "Wow, this is awesome," and so installed Unreal Tournament since it was basically that, but better.

This on a PC that had no internet access whatsoever.

So now I wonder if I should load up Quake III Arena (which yes I do own--a friend just dumped it along with other PC games on me when he went off to college and never asked it to be returned. It's the "Gold" release which includes Team Arena).

Perhap I should build another PC and invite people out so we can have classic LAN parties.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, UT and LAN parties! So much fun. Many years ago we would get together 10 friends or so and meet up at one of our houses for an all-night frag-fest. Somebody brings the network switch and everybody brings their own Cat5 cable. Such good times. All night of Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, Half-Life deathmatch, Quake III, and Team Fortress Classic. I miss those days.
    Scream And Fly - High Performance Powerboating Online
    My Personal Weblog
    My Feedback!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Did anyone play Master of Orion 3? I played a lot of MoO2, but never the sequel. I think the buzz was pretty negative when it came out.