Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 75 of 75

Thread: EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

  1. #51
    ServBot (Level 11) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    24
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    in response to everyone else... whatever... I can't win. yeah whatever, make every game free. fuck that whole copyright thing. the games are expensive and screw the legitimate mom and pop stores that are probably gonna go under because I use RetroPi and EverDrive, and screw Nintendo's Virtual Console store- they're rich anyways
    But see, that's my whole point. People ARE buying the games even though they can get them for free. You said it yourself, prices are determined by what people are willing to pay, so people are paying those prices. Prices are higher than ever. And more people are collecting or getting into collecting than ever.

    And the mom and pop stores are selling used games, so it's not like the developers are seeing a dime from those sales either. They too are profiting from other peoples work if you want to look at it that way.

    I'm not saying that it's ok or should be legal. I'm just saying that claiming they do nothing but hurt the community is a bit much...and that Nintendo is probably taking things a bit too far since their cease and desist letters usually seem to do the trick. Did those sites just not comply with them for so long that Nintendo decided to make an example of them?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  2. #52
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,964
    PSN
    bb_hood99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Imagine the prices of retro games if ROMS diddnt exist.

  3. #53
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,352
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    You're entitled to your thoughts, but still I feel are misguided....

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Because in a free market system, prices are determined by what people are willing to pay and the store owners are operating a legitimate business as opposed to these dipshits making a living off of other people's hard work?

    in response to everyone else... whatever... I can't win. yeah whatever, make every game free. fuck that whole copyright thing. the games are expensive and screw the legitimate mom and pop stores that are probably gonna go under because I use RetroPi and EverDrive, and screw Nintendo's Virtual Console store- they're rich anyways

    it seems the people who hated Metallica for being mad at people for not paying for their music in the early 2000's have decided to turn their attention to video games
    Rebuttal literally took the words out of my mouth!

    Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    But see, that's my whole point. People ARE buying the games even though they can get them for free. You said it yourself, prices are determined by what people are willing to pay, so people are paying those prices. Prices are higher than ever. And more people are collecting or getting into collecting than ever.

    And the mom and pop stores are selling used games, so it's not like the developers are seeing a dime from those sales either. They too are profiting from other peoples work if you want to look at it that way.

    I'm not saying that it's ok or should be legal. I'm just saying that claiming they do nothing but hurt the community is a bit much...and that Nintendo is probably taking things a bit too far since their cease and desist letters usually seem to do the trick. Did those sites just not comply with them for so long that Nintendo decided to make an example of them?
    ....and yes, LOVEroms thumbed its nose at Nintendo for quite awhile and will likely pay the price.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  4. #54
    Apple (Level 5) Gentlegamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Now that Mickey Mouse is about to rightfully enter the public domain, it's time to revisit copyright law.

    Game programs for depreciated platforms 20+ years old should be in the public domain.

  5. #55
    ServBot (Level 11) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    24
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Now that Mickey Mouse is about to rightfully enter the public domain, it's time to revisit copyright law.

    Game programs for depreciated platforms 20+ years old should be in the public domain.
    Steamboat Willy might enter public domain soon, but not the character of Mickey. Disney would never let that happen. If nothing else, they would claim that the character is a corporate trademark that they could own indefinitely.

    But if history tells us anything, copyright law will be revisited and pushed back even further... because of Disney. It's happened a couple times already. 20 years would never happen. Way too short a time frame.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  6. #56
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,352
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Mickey is a Disney trademark, which never expires as long as it used in commerce. Copyrights for games, since they don't usually belong to the author of the game, are good for 95 years I believe.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  7. #57
    Apple (Level 5) Gentlegamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Steamboat Willy might enter public domain soon, but not the character of Mickey. Disney would never let that happen. If nothing else, they would claim that the character is a corporate trademark that they could own indefinitely.
    Mickey Mouse is entering the public domain. Derivative works based on Steam Boat Willie and Mickey Mouse will be allowed. Trademarks cannot prohibit use of public domain characters or works.

    Patents last for 20 years and protect far more valuable information, there's no reason copyright should last much longer than patents, especially when talking about the actual game programming for depreciated platforms.
    Last edited by Gentlegamer; 08-15-2018 at 06:12 AM.

  8. #58
    ServBot (Level 11) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    24
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Mickey Mouse is entering the public domain. Derivative works based on Steam Boat Willie and Mickey Mouse will be allowed. Trademarks cannot prohibit use of public domain characters or works.

    Patents last for 20 years and protect far more valuable information, there's no reason copyright should last much longer than patents, especially when talking about the actual game programming for depreciated platforms.
    Yeah, no. Greg2600 is right. The characters are trademarked and legally protected for as long as the company uses them. The individual movies will start slipping into the public domain but not the trademarked characters.

    So what your suggesting is that after 20 years all intellectual property should become public domain? Anyone should be able to make and sell a Mario game or a Mickey cartoon? Anyone should be allowed to use the Coca-Cola logo on their own products? Anyone should be allowed to make a Starwars or Harry Potter film? 20 years just isn't that long.

    And patents are different than copyrights and trademarks. Because they can be more important like you say. Compare a video game character to a life saving drug for example.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  9. #59
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    695
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Yeah, no. Greg2600 is right. The characters are trademarked and legally protected for as long as the company uses them. The individual movies will start slipping into the public domain but not the trademarked characters.
    This is correct. Tons and tons of cartoons featuring popular characters have fallen into public domain. That doesn't mean the character itself is PD, just the film.

    That's one reason PD cartoon collections always have shit box artwork, they're not allowed to draw the character in an original pose and must use a direct capture of them from the film.

    People sometimes think public domain films are all just moldy silent films from the early 1900's. PD films include some Gamera, Godzilla, most of the Warner Bros toon characters.

  10. #60
    Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,319
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    While I am totally not endorsing the tons of money changing hands via ad revenue at a site like EmuParadise, I'd rather see Nintendo go after the reproduction cartridge sites and stores that sell unauthorized reproductions first. At least with those it's a straight up, crystal clear, garbage in - garbage out crime with no gray area. In that case it's someone taking the work of someone else, burning a chip, doing a few minutes work, and then boom - "Pay me $$$ for something that isn't mine." Not to mention all the money they make off the people who fan translate games and then distribute the patches for free. In those instances it's both a crime and a middle finger to the romhacking community.

    I will never understand why reproductions get a free pass with so many people who otherwise crusade against bootlegs and champion copyright law.

    As for EmuParadise, I always though the site was a bit of a mess but some interesting binaries have come around over the years thanks to people in their forums. At this point if you're interested in flashcarts, emulation, romhacking, etc. you should have fairly recent No-Intro or comparable sets archived away somewhere.
    Contributing Writer, Retrogaming Times Monthly 2004 - 2013
    Chief Editor, The Retrogaming Times 2016 - Present *NEW RETROGAMING HOBBYIST NEWSLETTER!*


  11. #61
    Kirby (Level 13) megasdkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,113
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    The IsoZone is the newest site to stop offering ROMS.
    Game Wants: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121467
    Completed US CIB Collections: Atari 7800, Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Jesus christ. Half the internet is truly retarded.

  12. #62
    Strawberry (Level 2) fluid_matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    475
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    The IsoZone is the newest site to stop offering ROMS.
    I hope that the end consequence of these sites no longer offering rom downloads is that the emulator scene doesn't cease to exist.

  13. #63
    Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,319
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    The IsoZone is the newest site to stop offering ROMS.
    Now that truly is a loss since so many there were actually ripping and uploading ISO images for archival.
    Contributing Writer, Retrogaming Times Monthly 2004 - 2013
    Chief Editor, The Retrogaming Times 2016 - Present *NEW RETROGAMING HOBBYIST NEWSLETTER!*


  14. #64
    Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    893
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Just curious, what's your stance on games that were Japanese release only. So the only way to play it in English is to have the rom patched in English. Does that change the argument on copyright since it just isn't available in English period?

  15. #65
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,964
    PSN
    bb_hood99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Just curious, what's your stance on games that were Japanese release only. So the only way to play it in English is to have the rom patched in English. Does that change the argument on copyright since it just isn't available in English period?
    Well, if you have reservations about playing roms and you dont speak Japanese, then I guess you will never play a large number of awesome games.
    For example Sweet Home for Nes/Famicom is one of the greatest games released on the Famicom but not the Nintendo NES. Only way to play it in English is by using ROMs.
    You could use an online guide and play a Japanese cart.. but I tried this with other games and its not fun. Doing this just ruins the experience.
    Or you could grow a pair and download the friggin rom...

  16. #66
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    695
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    At least with those it's a straight up, crystal clear, garbage in - garbage out crime with no gray area.
    but...but... they're keeping these games alive by selling me a bootleg when the big ol' mean IP holder just sits on the rights and won't manufacture any more carts. And plus I don't have to endure fair market microagressions from resellers. And having ten zillion bootleg carts means more carts in the wild which preserves the games even longer!

  17. #67
    Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    893
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Or you could grow a pair and download the friggin rom...
    Hey Hey, I wasn't advocating either way, just saw a lot of hate for downloading roms. Personally, if something isn't available and a group has put effort in translating it for free, then it's fair game

  18. #68
    Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,319
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    but...but... they're keeping these games alive by selling me a bootleg when the big ol' mean IP holder just sits on the rights and won't manufacture any more carts. And plus I don't have to endure fair market microagressions from resellers. And having ten zillion bootleg carts means more carts in the wild which preserves the games even longer!
    Hehe, and when that argument comes up there's one answer - buy yourself a flashcart and play all you want. Flashcart $$$ goes to people who spend the time and resources to engineer and manufacture a legal (all on its own) product that ultimately falls upon the end user to how they wish utilize them. It's also how most fan translators would prefer their projects be played if on actual hardware.
    Contributing Writer, Retrogaming Times Monthly 2004 - 2013
    Chief Editor, The Retrogaming Times 2016 - Present *NEW RETROGAMING HOBBYIST NEWSLETTER!*


  19. #69
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,352
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    The ISO Zone has been shutting down for months. Retro Zone is the new site.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  20. #70
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,964
    PSN
    bb_hood99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Hey Hey, I wasn't advocating either way, just saw a lot of hate for downloading roms.
    Yeah i know, I wasnt talking about you but about downloading roms in general

  21. #71
    Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,319
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The ISO Zone has been shutting down for months. Retro Zone is the new site.
    I'm aware of this, but if you can pull one plug then you can easily pull the other. At this point who knows.
    Contributing Writer, Retrogaming Times Monthly 2004 - 2013
    Chief Editor, The Retrogaming Times 2016 - Present *NEW RETROGAMING HOBBYIST NEWSLETTER!*


  22. #72
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,600
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The ISO Zone has been shutting down for months. Retro Zone is the new site.
    Ah then i was a little confused when i first heard about isozone not offering roms any more.

  23. #73
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    6,951
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    So what your suggesting is that after 20 years all intellectual property should become public domain? Anyone should be able to make and sell a Mario game or a Mickey cartoon? Anyone should be allowed to use the Coca-Cola logo on their own products? Anyone should be allowed to make a Starwars or Harry Potter film? 20 years just isn't that long.
    We have Lupin III now because someone decided to just steal someone else's property and expand upon it. Just imagine how many advancements would have been possible by now if everyone had access to everyone else's research and technology, everyone just constantly expanding upon what already exists and is known. Like cancer would have been cured by now.

    I'm not saying there shouldn't be any copyright, it's just something interesting to think about as a hypothetical.

    Also, there have been several sequels or adaptations made to books or films that are already in the public domain. The world didn't collapse because of them existing.

  24. #74
    ServBot (Level 11) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    24
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    We have Lupin III now because someone decided to just steal someone else's property and expand upon it. Just imagine how many advancements would have been possible by now if everyone had access to everyone else's research and technology, everyone just constantly expanding upon what already exists and is known. Like cancer would have been cured by now.

    I'm not saying there shouldn't be any copyright, it's just something interesting to think about as a hypothetical.

    Also, there have been several sequels or adaptations made to books or films that are already in the public domain. The world didn't collapse because of them existing.
    In the very next sentence I comment on how patents are different, I even use drug research as an example. But even still, when a patent expires other companies can't use their trademarked name. Imagine the confusion that would cause already confused consumers? That's why generic drugs use the chemical name.

    Or imagine if people made and sold inferior quality counterfeit games and devices and tried to pass them off as the real thing. Oh wait... now imagine if that was completely legal.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  25. #75
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,352
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Ah then i was a little confused when i first heard about isozone not offering roms any more.
    Well it was a team running it, and I believe that one or more of the founders are simply done with it. So the remaining members have started a few site.

    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Entire US TurboGrafx 16 TurboChip library...minus 1 game...
    By Jasonbar in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 06:13 PM
  2. FA: My Entire Library! Over 150 NES/SNES/2600/N64 Games
    By phantomfriar in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
  3. FS: Shou-sama's ENTIRE LIBRARY 3000+ pieces
    By Shou in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:55 PM
  4. Mame v0.74 and removed roms...
    By zektor in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 08:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •