Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now Sony's jumping on the bandwagon: the PlayStation Classic

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default Now Sony's jumping on the bandwagon: the PlayStation Classic

According to this article, Sony is planning to release the PlayStation Classic on December 3rd. Like the NES and SNES Classic Mini, it's an HDMI-only plug-and-play console, offering 20 built-in games including Final Fantasy VII and Wild Arms. Can't say I'm entirely surprised to see Sony trying to get in on the action, given how crazy the whole situation's been with Nintendo's all-in-one offerings. Not sure these things will have quite the same following, but we shall see..........
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

No analog sticks on the controllers is a major omission.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

When it comes to this era of gaming, it's rather fitting that Sony is copying Nintendo. But I am surprised they're totally ripping off the title and not coming up with a slightly different spin.

Personally, I like the original non-analog controller better than the Dual Shock anyway, but I know I'm in the minority there. Final Fantasy VII and Wild Arms both predate the Dual Shock, so I wonder that will be the case with every game included. If none of the games support analog to begin with, then the omission won't matter.

Assuming December 3 is the worldwide release, then that's pretty meaningless to American gamers. That may have been when the PlayStation originally launched in Japan, but the US didn't get the system until September of '95.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 09-19-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Lack of analog is strange. Price also not great, and obv. needs more popular titles (which Sony doesn't own) like Tomb Raider, Crash, etc.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

They mention 2 games, Final Fantasy VII and Wild Arms..

Which I think is funny just because Final Fantasy VII is a great game but Wild Arms in my opinion is very mediocre and overall not a very good game. It makes me curious to see what other games they will offer. With 20 games, you can be sure there will be a mix of all genres so how many more really good RPGs will be on this system? It looks like there will be Jumping Flash which is cool, Tekken 3 which is kinda just meh, and Ridge Racer which some racing game fans might like?

So I think it will be a popular item, but I feel that if they really wanna make something awesome they should make one or more flashback systems that are dedicated to different genres. Like a system with 20 of the best racing games, or 20 of the best RPGs.

Further more, it seems like they are just gonna fill the system with games already on the PSN. It would be cool if they were to feature games that havent already had a re-released at the 5$ price tag.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms were announced already. Symphony of the Night is another big one it really should have.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I assume Wild Arms on there is because Sony published it. Sony also published Final Fantasy VII in the US. Depending on region, they also had a hand in Crash, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer, and the Tekken series. I suspect there will be little in the way of games that were 100% third party. I'm sure it's easier for them to just include games they either own outright or can easily include because they had some role in their publishing in the past.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Perhaps Wild Arms was big in Europe or Japan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms were announced already. Symphony of the Night is another big one it really should have.
    SOTN is a really big one that everyone really loves. Although I very much doubt its gonna be on the system, simply because if it was gonna be on there they would have showcased it along with FF VII.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm not sure Castlevania will be on it or not, but I did see an article regarding SotN and Rondo of Blood just got rated again by a Korean ratings board "seemingly as a collection for PS4".

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09...-coming-to-ps4

If this is a seperate release, they may not include it with the PS Classic. Unless they are able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting it rated for multiple releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I'm not sure Castlevania will be on it or not, but I did see an article regarding SotN and Rondo of Blood just got rated again by a Korean ratings board "seemingly as a collection for PS4".

If this is a seperate release, they may not include it with the PS Classic. Unless they are able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting it rated for multiple releases.
    Well if thats the case, maybe we will see a decent CastleVania collection that isnt limited to a handheld.

I just think that if it was gonna be one of the 20 games it would have been mentioned along with FF VII. To highlight Wild Arms along with FF VII kinda seems "this is the best they got". Now obviously there are 15 games not yet mentioned, but if the PS mini were going to have FF VII and SOTN, I think they would have lead with that info. THose 2 games together would definitely draw alot of interest, but Wild Arms? Thats just strange to me.

Also I feel that 20 games isnt enough variety.. I think for most or all gamers, there is gonna be a genera that you dont like. So there is gonna be 3-5 games that your general gamer just wont be interested at all. Like if you are really into RPGs, well you probably already own or have played through FF VII, and Wild Arms is pretty lackluster.
    Unless they reveal some other actual 'classic' PS1 games, there wont be much incentive to buy this.

Like if you look at the SNES Classic, every game on that system with the exception of Kirby Dream Course is a seriously awesome game (now I like KDC but all the other game are just way more epic).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    When it comes to this era of gaming, it's rather fitting that Sony is copying Nintendo. But I am surprised they're totally ripping off the title and not coming up with a slightly different spin.
    This blows my mind. Why use the same name as your competition?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post

Friends of mine feel like the remastered SOTN, Crash, and Spyro offerings might keep Sony from adding them. i.e. get people to buy on PSN. However, these Classics get given as gifts and whatnot to/from people who are older and don't even own a PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Some info on pre-ordering the PlayStation Classic can be found here. Oddly, Sony still has yet to announce the remaining 15 games included with the Classic. Not a great sign, if you ask me..........
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Nintendo and Super Nintendo had 512MB flash memory ... depending which games they include, the internal flash storage should be at least 6GB. Cost-wise it should influence the decision to include the original controllers and not dual shock analog controllers.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The full US lineup has been revealed:

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms

And it's pretty lackluster, in my opinion.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I like that game list. If it were up to me, there would have been more rpgs, but you are getting your money's worth from Persona and intelligent Qube alone.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Shame that the re-releases of the absolute most popular/enigmatic PS1 games (Crash/Spyro/SoTN) kept them from being on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Some decent titles on there, like GTA, MGS, RE, etc. Also several omissions, as pointed out (SotN, Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, etc). Guessing they're holding some titles back for the next release, which will probably include analog controllers. Not terribly exciting, but not entirely disappointing, either.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

A list of ANY 20 titles was never going to please everyone, there are some really good games for sure and it seems they did try for some variety, of course everyone had their own idea of the perfect list. FOR ME as I have heard from others, the attractiveness will come down to hack-ability and being adding to add ones own titles.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?