Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intellivision Amico Console announced - Hundreds of millions of sprites. Superior 2D than PS4 or PS5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Anyone who remembers the Ouya should have seen this coming a mile away, and that console actually released before dying quickly.
    The Ouya did have support but was a victim of mismanagement and changes in what was offered. One such change that didn’t sit well was the removal of necessary demos. It was the plan that folks could try before they buy, unlike other services at the time.

Thanks to a dedicated community, the cube still lives. Amico looks like its about to be stillborn. While it seemed like it got positive feedback from demos, I wonder if that feedback is not unlike relatives stating that they will “totally stay in touch” but never do. They like the Amico but will never buy it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Ouya had no business plan either, which is why it flunked from day one. I bought an Ouya, as it was good for android-installed tools for multimedia. For games, it was lousy, and way, way out of date when it was released. Amico is a closed system, so in that sense, it won't be out of date for quite awhile. The pandemic certainly put a crimp on what they intended to build.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, being fair the Ouya had some utility. It's still sought out for making into emulation boxes and/or media center.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

They should post all of the games which had been developed for the Intellivision Amico for sale to Steam, Google Play, modern consoles, etc. to recoup some losses and at least provide that much for those that financially backed the project. That would not be as good as the hardware plus the games promised, yet at least the games wouldn't go to waste that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    They should post all of the games which had been developed for the Intellivision Amico for sale to Steam, Google Play, modern consoles, etc. to recoup some losses and at least provide that much for those that financially backed the project. That would not be as good as the hardware plus the games promised, yet at least the games wouldn't go to waste that way.
    Or better yet-save a little face and make the controllers for computers. They are unique enough that maybe that would attract people to pick them up.

Or make the controllers available for the Atari VCS. Call it the Intellivision Expansion set ;-)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'd be down for a Steam release of whatever library it's got. Only reason I was even looking in the Amico's direction was for the new Earthworm Jim game.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'd be down for a Steam release of whatever library it's got.
    Do you think any of the planned games actually exist at this point? I haven't tried to keep up with the game development but I haven't heard anything related to actual game progress, as far as I know the games are still just concept pieces.

Only reason I was even looking in the Amico's direction was for the new Earthworm Jim game.
    I've heard that this way planned way back before the console kickstarter occured, was this actually still being made for the Amico or was this cancelled ages ago?

Apparently there are new current Earthworm Jim comic books coming out, thanks to a recent kickstarter.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I doubt much has been actually developed, particularly if there is virtually no workable hardware to develop on. As for the kickstarter, I remember it being a dual pre-order for the game and also for the EJ comicbook/artbook if you backed high enough.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I doubt much has been actually developed, particularly if there is virtually no workable hardware to develop on. As for the kickstarter, I remember it being a dual pre-order for the game and also for the EJ comicbook/artbook if you backed high enough.
    I think the base games, at least a few of them, were largely completely. They weren't all that complicated to begin with, and were infamously funded by the German government after Intellivision opened a shell company there and collected a startup grant!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

But what does 'base games' mean? The read says 'Atari and iMagic remakes'. That could mean anything from the entire library to one or two things. The best I could find via Google was Earthworm Jim 4, which seems to have nothing else out there besides some sketches, and this video of 'in-progress demos' from over a year ago:

Seems like it was going to be a whole lot of nothing right from the start.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

big surprise eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Best part from that;
    Doubt was cast over the console’s release in February, after the company cut a new investment campaign short with just $58,001 of its $5 million target raised.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Stick a fork in it, it's done. If this thing ever comes out I will eat my hat.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Misleading headline. It's not abandoned yet, as they still can respond in the next two months or something like that.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

And then Nz could buy it. Make an Atari themed MAME box, call it the DigitalPress-Ganged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Apparently their office space has been cleared out and is up for rent by the landlord, so another company who doesn't mind little "running man" Intellivision guys etched into the glass everywhere can snatch that place up.

This thing could not be deader. It's a shame, I liked what they were doing with the machine, but yet again another group of people wanting to make a new console didn't realize how much money and resources it takes to get a video game system to market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Apparently their office space has been cleared out and is up for rent by the landlord, so another company who doesn't mind little "running man" Intellivision guys etched into the glass everywhere can snatch that place up.

This thing could not be deader.
    Let's not rush to conclusions, according to Greg2600 there's still hope that they'll pull through and this will still come out.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

JSoup (07-22-2022)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post

This thing could not be deader. It's a shame, I liked what they were doing with the machine, but yet again another group of people wanting to make a new console didn't realize how much money and resources it takes to get a video game system to market.

Source, for the interested:
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...-you-want-them