Thread: What modern games will be collectible in the future?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think it's pretty unlikely that many of the niche publisher games games from the likes of Limited Run Games and others will appreciate in value. There are just too many people collecting and buying doubles and keeping them sealed for supply to ever really get too strained.
    Heck, most of them have eventually come up on eBay cheaper than what it cost to get them upon release. I just got Ace of Seafood for cheaper then it was from LRG.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm kind of reminded of the speculator boom in Comic Books here. As people like Linkara have pointed out, the reason really old comics are rare and valuable was because not many copies are floating around anymore. You can't artificially create a valuable comic just by declaring it a limited collector's item... inevitably people are going to buy several copies anticipating it becoming valuable, and then it doesn't... because collectors bought dozens of copies so its nowhere near rare or expensive.

In effect, what the post two posts above me said people are doing with modern games. Stuff from older generations, nobody was seriously collecting and a lot of it wound up disposed of by kids who didn't know better, that's why its rare now, but as adults we expect a niche RPG or whatever to become collectable in 30 years.

There's also what another person said, how so many releases are digital now.

Honestly the only games I think will truly become rare are gonna be weird situations like say Silent Hill P.T. or any other case where downloads/updated versions are impossible to get. I mean, unless everyone just embraces piracy.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Games released as limited collector's items seem to rise in value about as often as games in general do. A few do, most don't. I've been selling off some of my older PS4 releases from LRG, and a handful have increased to multiple times what I paid for them. But there are far more that I'm more or less breaking even on. But that's the nice thing about limited releases. Even if they don't increase in price, they don't tend to drop in price much either. I don't know if we'll ever see a LRG release worth less than 5 bucks like a copy of Madden or some such. So in that way, limited releases are kind of "safe" investments. That said, video games have never been worthwhile as investments.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I'm gonna start buying up copies of Madden 2016 until no one can find them anymore, then I will slowly sell them off, charging 100x what I paid for them initially 😁