That's one way of looking at things - remembering them as common and not wanting to pay a lot. But it's not the only way. I once watched that "Nintendo Quest" documentary, and it's...kind of hard to watch. That guy's collecting is so devoid of joy it's a little disturbing...and it's obvious that he has some childhood issues he's trying to paper over with this "quest" of his - maybe trying to recapture the good parts of his childhood and forget the bad? I don't necessarily understand that guy's motivations, but I do recognize he has them.

There's something going on with people who pay $600k for an old video game. I don't myself understand it, but I can't necessarily say they don't have their reasons for it. They may not be rational reasons, they may not be my reasons - but there is some line of thinking in their head that makes that price seem justified. Maybe they have a ton of money and that price seems reasonable to them (cheaper than a McLaren, after all). Maybe they're so desperate to have it for some personal reason that they'd mortgage the house to get it. I don't know. Would be interesting to ask them.