Thread: What does collecting mean

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

As a recent thread on here demonstrated, collecting means a lot of different things to different people. I think lines can be drawn somewhere at the ends, though. On one end I don't really know how to describe it more than just calling it hoarding. Components of that would be little respect for the material such that significant damage occurs immediately or over time, little or no organisation, stuff like that. Trying to describe the other end, I realize I'd probably include the same criteria; we've all seen the games and consoles that have just been abused by people that are only gamers and sell their stuff to buy the next big thing. Where to draw those lines short of the extremes on each end could certainly be argued.

But I don't really care about where those lines are drawn. It doesn't matter to me who considers themselves a collector, though I do wish everyone took good care of their games and consoles.

As for what my collection says about me? Lots, I'm sure, but mostly about me when I was actively looking for stuff, which I'm just not anymore because the cheap sources have dried up. So I guess it says that I am a cheapskate. It probably says that I didn't have a focus in my collecting (other than NES, maybe) because I have a smattering of all kinds of stuff, but not too deep on anything. Which makes sense, I only really have bought what I found locally, and I missed a lot before I got into collecting, so it all was interesting and exciting for me. I've been updating my catalogue recently and putting it into GameValuesNow, and the average value of a game in my collection is $18, so I've got a lot of low $$ games I guess? Mostly a lot of cheap stuff just never seemed worth getting rid of, because I only ever had a few full-set aspirations, and all but one I gave up on a long time ago. So I could have ditched all the junk in other collections, but just not worth the bother.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cornelius For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (03-06-2019)